How many GB of data can you download monthly on your internet connection?

ido1957

9K Gold Member
My part of town has buried twisted pair only and we can only download at 5 Mbps and are limited to 150 GB a month.
We have burned through 80 GB so far since we got ROKU and started watching Netflix.
Costs me 58 a month. Just waiting for optic cable to be installed - may be years though.

5GB/day is certainly a whole lot less restrictive than some of these wireless data plans w/ a 5GB/month limit!

But if you're into movies and you stream it like you mean it, you need an unlimited plan.

Unlimited :D I'm sure if I went above a certain amount they'd be like "Hey bro, chill out" but there's not a hard cap.

Peak: 20gb per month
Off peak: 10gb per month.

Cost: $40 a month

The amount of download is fine. I don't use Netflix or similar.

I could get more by paying more, but I don't want to spend more.

Speed on our 'broadband': I just did an Ookla test:

Download: 1.31mbps
Upload: 0.18mbps

That's about as good as it gets

40 gig per month limit on my current plan which is around $36 a month. For another 10 bucks a month I can switch to unlimited but as I rarely use more then 20 a month, I'm staying with the current 5 down/1 up speed plan.

Cheers! :)

Unlimited :D I'm sure if I went above a certain amount they'd be like "Hey bro, chill out" but there's not a hard cap.
I've had to work at it to get 20 GB of stuff through the cable in one day. I can't see doing that every day. But unlimited is unlimited.

They keep their official bargain because the data rate is variable...

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Just ran a test on a 1,094,023,168 byte file from archive.org {Quicksand- great movie BTW!!!}

132 seconds.

So that's theoretically 8,288,054 bytes/second, or >700TB on a 24 hour data binge. Nobody noticed that my estimate was off by 1000, so I'll correct it now. That's ~700GB for the day which makes sense if I could grab a little over 1GB in 132 seconds.

Last edited:
Just checked my speed, "speedtest.net". Have always used it and it seems to agree with others like the BBC.
8.8Mbps DOWN
0.86 UP.
I get this result almost all the time and have done for a couple of years since I gave BT the elbow. Now with TalkTalk, cheaper too!

I am unlimited but don't download much theses days. When son was here he was dlding vast swathes of music and my limit was 10G a month with BT and they charged for every 10G over that.

I cannot see that a faster connection would help me? I have never had a site get close to a dld speed of 8Mbps for a manual!

Dave.

Unlimited here as far as I know. I just switched to Google Fiber from Time Warner/Roadrunner a couple of months ago. Speedtest.net tells me that tonight I'm getting 891 Mbps down and 943 Mbps up. It's even closer to true gigabit speed when I use a cat6a cable instead of the cat5 that I have on my current temporary setup.

350GB /month. Even when working from home, I could never come close to that.

My cable company just bumped up our speed for free. From 50Mb/3Mb to 75Mb/8Mb. We have an option to get 300Mb download. I'm enticed....

Considering my crappy speed, I can still stream Netflix without any delay while my wife watches Youtube

Peak: 20gb per month
Off peak: 10gb per month.

Cost: $40 a month

The amount of download is fine. I don't use Netflix or similar.

I could get more by paying more, but I don't want to spend more.

Speed on our 'broadband': I just did an Ookla test:

Download: 1.31mbps
Upload: 0.18mbps

That's about as good as it gets

My lord, how do you live with that? Yikes!

I would go insane with that lack of speed....

Sorry man. :eek:

55mbps or so here with 10mbps or so upload. $70 a month. Unlimited.

Ours is unlimited, 11.5 down, 0.5 up, £23/month. I'm supposed to get 38 down, but we're too far from the exchange.

Ours is unlimited, 11.5 down, 0.5 up, £23/month. I'm supposed to get 38 down, but we're too far from the exchange.

How far from the exchange? Some years ago when with BT, after a LOT of hassle with them I got a good engineer out who pronounced my "end" (shut up Jones minor!) ok and went off to the xchng. One hour later my speed jumped fro 3.5ish to over 6! Give 'em hell.

And it does seem odd that your download speed is ~30% better than mine but up is about 50% slower?

And! What do you chaps DO with these blinding speeds?

Dave.

In theory unlimited but (if you dig in the T&Cs you'll find that they expect this to be 500GB). We're still on rubbish ADSL--after lots of tweaking by the phone company we're up to about 4800 down and 812 up--distance to the exchange is our limiting factor. It's hard to quote a price for this because we have a bundled service--internet, landline phone, most calls all over Aus free plus some free international every month. For this we pay $109. Yeah, internet is stupid expensive for crap service in Aus.

Hopefully we'll have a fibre connection in the next few months--they pulled in the fibre past our front door in August but won't start hooking people up until the whole suburb has cable past their doors. I gather the delay, believe it or not, is some people with aerial cabling because they have to work with the electric company to work on that.

What would I do with blinding speeds, Dave? Download software in less than an hour or two, upload my videos to Youtube in less than six hours, that sort of thing. We currently have six internet connected devices in this house so the connection gets overloaded rather easily.

Back