How helpful are you?

I have similar problems at work in terms of people not understanding / resisting advice THAT THEY SEEK ME OUT TO ASK FOR ... seems people are the same all over.:D

I start out saying "You might want to consider the possibility that there are some landmines down that path you're considering taking. Just my experience." and then I go through a series of iterations to "If you go that way, you will step on a landmine called 'xxxxx' about halfway in" and then, later, I wish it all ended up sometimes with me standing out of the way and just letting things explode yelling "Take cover!" just as aforementioned mine takes their legs off....

Except I can't quite do that... because ultimately they pay me to manage all this shit and not let things blow up, so instead it's just a harsh shove to the side as they're about to step on the thing... "What did you do that for? That hurt" "Never mind, it was for your own good...." :laughings:

Obviously I'm being illustrative here. My work doesn't actually involve landmines... just websites. :thumbs up: On which note, it's time to do some. Have a nice day y'all... :D

No, he asked you to explain. That's different. But you weren't there to help anybody except your own ego, which seems to feed off: A. lavish self-praise; B. constant belittling of others.
How does my voluntarily leaving a thread that will result in more butthurt from the OP help my ego? If my ego was the problem that you think it is, I would have verbally beat him into submission. But no, I left. He got incredulous and defensive over my initial comments, explaining it further would have sent him over the edge.

He's not a clown. He's somebody working hard on his music and trying to improve. Good thing you were never like that. I know snowflake, you really are Superman.
I get it now. You're jealous. Is it because I don't need or want your "help"? I'm confident and quite capable with the things I do and how I do them. How is that a bad thing? People like you should learn from me instead of getting your feelings hurt. I learned, and still learn, from people better than me. I don't lash out at them like a whiny crybaby.

Glad I could help. I don't recall the tune and I try not to bruise people and to be generally supportive of their efforts, but maybe I was having a bad day... :D

The thread wasn't particularly aimed at the Clinic, by the way - that is what it is. When I looked in last night there was a guy posting his entire greatest hits collection... that's going to work... ;) Annoyingly it probably pushed stuff I would have listened to and critiqued off the first page - some moderation/"listen son" advice/forum sculpting in that scenario probably wouldn't go astray.

The song was called Crop Circles. I put it on the Songwriting & Composition forum mid-June. You told me that I was trying to hide the problems with the vocals under a ton of reverb, and you were right. I'll take honest, blunt criticism all day long.

I agree, that was annoying. I haven't gotten around to listening to all his tracks yet. It seems like a sticky thread laying out some etiquette for the MP3 Clinic would be helpful, but I've suggested it before.

No, he asked you to explain. That's different. But you weren't there to help anybody except your own ego, which seems to feed off: A. lavish self-praise; B. constant belittling of others.

He's not a clown. He's somebody working hard on his music and trying to improve. Good thing you were never like that. I know snowflake, you really are Superman.

I disagree with the Gerg's approach sometimes, but I rarely disagree with his conclusions. If you want to improve whatever you're doing, recording wise, he, and about half a dozen others who hang around here are absolute gold. No point fighting with him. He doesn't listen to my stuff anyway because I use acoustic guitars... :D Except I don't any more... :laughings: Pretty sure if I PM'd him and asked his opinion on something he would though.

Use the knowledge he freely dispenses to anyone who's not overly defensive, is my advice.

I don't particularly, myself, pretend to know all that much about recording, even after 15 years here. But I know who does. ;) And now, I really DO have to do some work...

The song was called Crop Circles. I put it on the Songwriting & Composition forum mid-June. You told me that I was trying to hide the problems with the vocals under a ton of reverb, and you were right. I'll take honest, blunt criticism all day long.

I agree, that was annoying. I haven't gotten around to listening to all his tracks yet. It seems like a sticky thread laying out some etiquette for the MP3 Clinic would be helpful, but I've suggested it before.

I do remember. Voice is difficult - especially if you're not confident. And burying your unconfident vocals under reverb is a classic error... we've all been there. Get confident. I think I'm a crap singer, myself, but no-one ever tells me that because I've learnt to phrase and emote and snarl and talk/sing and put a bit into what I'm doing and it sounds like I know what I'm doing... that and autotune... :D well, just a bit. ;) See you round oh Robust one...

I get it now. You're jealous. Is it because I don't need or want your "help"? I'm confident and quite capable with the things I do and how I do them. How is that a bad thing? People like you should learn from me instead of getting your feelings hurt. I learned, and still learn, from people better than me. I don't lash out at them like a whiny crybaby.

Greg_L, that's silly. I've heard your music. I've told you before I think it is very good. Do you think that I think you need my help? How long did you reflect before you wrote that?. I've also read from many people that you've been helpful to them, and I've seen your sticky thread. And I see that you feed off putting down other people. When somebody calls you on it, the butthurt is monumental. I've known people like you my whole life. In my line of work, dealing with them is an occupational hazard.

Some are great, some are good, some are mediocre, and some are shit. Some should just quit.

They only way someone can become great is by studying and taking the advice of those that are better than oneself.
Humility can be a hard pill to swallow as people like to think the best of themselves. Sometimes that results in thinking one is great when they are not.

Sometimes people that are good or great at something have developed a harshness in handling people.

I have met and known many professionals in the music biz, that are the kindest nicest people you'd ever meet. But I've met complete arrogant dicks too.

There's all different kinds people, and something can be learned from each and everyone of them.....despite the personality.

This is a forum. Take it or leave it.

At the end of the day, the bottom line is this;
No one dies because of what goes on here.

:D

Greg_L, that's silly. I've heard your music. I've told you before I think it is very good. Do you think that I think you need my help? How long did you reflect before you wrote that?. I've also read from many people that you've been helpful to them, and I've seen your sticky thread. And I see that you feed off putting down other people. When somebody calls you on it, the butthurt is monumental. I've known people like you my whole life. In my line of work, dealing with them is an occupational hazard.

The only butthurt round here is yours mate... I suggest you do what gerg did in the thread you keep fixating on... Walk on.

Pretty sure if I PM'd him and asked his opinion on something he would though..

Yeah I reckon he would in a heartbeat, for anyone, within reason.

I've often thought of sending him some shit over myself to have a grunt at but I don't like to bother people. Where a lot of people don't like Greg's "honesty" approach and calling a spade a spade, (It's not a shovel) I do like it. I've had great advice over the years and the honest, to the point, blunt advice has proved the most productive kick up the arse I needed in most cases.

Look barry, just get over it. Stop this stupid act of yours.

I do think that it upsets you that I don't have any use for you. Yeah. Really. You can't crack me, and that bothers you for some reason. I don't know why, but part of your crusade is to call out the old members that have more experience than you. It's weird. Your insecurity is eating you up. You don't have to "deal with me". You don't have to post in EVERY THREAD. We don't ever have to criss-cross in here. You go "help" the n00bs and other meandering random posters with your general cliches and banal platitudes. Quantity over quality. I stay out of those threads. They're all yours. I'll just stick to what I do.

Yeah I reckon he would in a heartbeat, for anyone, within reason.

I've often thought of sending him some shit over myself to have a grunt at but I don't like to bother people. Where a lot of people don't like Greg's "honesty" approach and calling a spade a spade, (It's not a shovel) I do like it. I've had great advice over the years and the honest, to the point, blunt advice has proved the most productive kick up the arse I needed in most cases.

It's not a bother. I'm not going to see your stuff in the clinic because it's been overrun with looky-loos, fake pleasantries, butthurt, and drive-bys. So I don't go in there. Any time you want to send me something, please feel free.

Look barry, just get over it. Stop this stupid act of yours.

I do think that it upsets you that I don't have any use for you. Yeah. Really. You can't crack me, and that bothers you for some reason. I don't know why, but part of your crusade is to call out the old members that have more experience than you. It's weird. Your insecurity is eating you up. You don't have to "deal with me". You don't have to post in EVERY THREAD. We don't ever have to criss-cross in here. You go "help" the n00bs and other meandering random posters with your general cliches and banal platitudes. Quantity over quality. I stay out of those threads. They're all yours. I'll just stick to what I do.

I think, judging by his posting style, he may well be son of 60's guy.... He certainly has the same passive aggressive over-reactive butthurt that randy was so strung out with,,;)

I think, judging by his posting style, he may well be son of 60's guy.... He certainly has the same passive aggressive over-reactive butthurt that randy was so strung out with,,;)

I don't know. I'm pretty convinced that he's someone that used to post here. The style is soooo similar. They also had a grudge for me. Or maybe all these anti-Greg goofballs all have the same misfiring neurons or something. Maybe it's a disease. Whatever it is, it's stupid.

All these anti-Greg types. You're so misunderstood. Okay, enough for now. Give Mutt a pat on the head and his bone.

I don't know. I'm pretty convinced that he's someone that used to post here. The style is soooo similar. They also had a grudge for me. Or maybe all these anti-Greg goofballs all have the same misfiring neurons or something. Maybe it's a disease. Whatever it is, it's stupid.

The worrying thing is that the way this place is headed he will probably make mod status within the year...:)

I pretty much stopped posting in the g&b because people just cant take being told how shit works. Thats what the disease is. They all think they are arguing with me when what they are doing is arguing against simple fact and truth.. It's tiresome.

I dont go near the mp3 clinic either any more it's like one of them tv shows where they show clips of people getting slammed in dumb ways. It becomes morbidly obsessive voyeurism. I stay away.

All these anti-Greg types. You're so misunderstood. Okay, enough for now. Give Mutt a pat on the head and his bone.

There definitely is a type. You exhibit all of the traits of that type. Your type has been absent lately though. One of you used to show up about once a month. Having less of you has been nice though. Anyway, I'm not misunderstood at all. As you can see, there are people here that get me. Not coincidentally, they've been here longer than 5 minutes. Maybe one day you'll get over your inferiority complex, and stop changing usernames, and we can all get along.

Back