Helter Skelter - Nelson Mandela effect

famous beagle

I feel as though I'm taking crazy pills here.

In the verse of this song, Paul sings "Do you don't you want me to love you. Coming down fast but I'm miles above you..." This is all over an E chord. Then this is where it gets weird. I remember it changing to a G chord for "Tell me, tell me, tell me the answer," (then A chord) "You may be a lover, but you ain't no dancer."

But when I listen now to the song on Amazon music or my old White Album cassette (there's no year shown on it so I don't know when the cassette was made---of course I know the album is from 1968, but I don't know when this cassette was printed), there's an extra measure of an E chord there, and he sings "Tell me, tell me ... come on" before singing "tell me the answer" over the G chord.

What's strange is that all the cover versions (Motley Crue, U2, Oasis, etc.) use the form I remember.

AND, there's this super cool video of Paul in the studio playing it acoustically. At around 0:40, you hear him run through the verse, and he plays it the way I remember too.

The Beatles - Helter Skelter (Studio Version) (11.06.1968) - YouTube

So what the hell gives? What do y'all remember? What's going on here?

Is the version that's around now a remastered version ... or ...what?

The Beatles did a lot of strange thinks with versions, I was reading the article about the Sargent Peppers Remix and how the stereo version was missing some of the instruments. There was also a version of I am the Walrus without the 3rd verse with "you've been a naughty girl and let your Knickers down" verse floating around in the 1970s (I recorded it from a radio special) which was probably made for the BBC who did not want the Knickers down line used LOL. They may have even mixed different takes for different countries releases so there may be 2 versions around.

I have heard lots of albums over the years where the UK, US and Australian releases have different versions on them, Deep Purple in rock, the opening track Speed King has a different start on the UK and US versions on the original releases.

Alan.

Fairly famous with UK vs US releases and other alterations with second pressings, etc..

I'm afraid it can be something that really, really bugs me as more and more people want to make a buck off it

Back