Hearing Test!

Try THIS ONE instead.
I was amazed that my HD 380s started down around 28 Hz and got pretty loud by 35 M-Audios started picking up about 33 and got it together at 37...still didn't stop until 15380 (so probably a bit lower is where I didn't hear).

Hey, that's the first one I did. Then I found this other and thought of you guys.

That crap gets loud, for me, around 700-800hz... even though it's probably all the same amplitude, right? Is that, possibly, my most sensitive/perceptive area? I could hear a rising tone up until about 17k on this one. But after 12k, I noticed my ears had to compete with two sounds...one rising tone and one falling tone.

With my tinnitus, not surprised it got down to 12500 before I heard anything. :rolleyes:

I wonder if it's your conditions (phones, or whatnot).

I'm in HD380s. First time through, I stopped at over 18k because I heard something. It's the subharmonics coming up. SO, second time through I stopped just over 15.3K as I could actually hear the sss up there. Gets clear right at 15K (15041), but there's also a reaction delay to consider...

True about the reaction time. And I second those harmonic noises/sweeps at 18k. I heard them too.

Damn didn't hear a thing until it got to 12K :wtf: ...My wife has incredible hearing and we are always at odds on the volume of the TV... I'll have to have her take the test and see just how good it is...

how did this turn out?

That crap gets loud, for me, around 700-800hz... even though it's probably all the same amplitude, right? Is that, possibly, my most sensitive/perceptive area?

Well, I can say with certainty it's probably not the frequency range where your wife's voice sits...:D

"Tried it with my computer speakers (old Gateways in small boxes, not those flat-panel things), and after about 8K, the tone was still there but didn't change - a harmonic thing I guess. "

Sorry to get serious...again but, this is the trouble will self testing on ad hoc equipment. The gear has to be beyond reproach from artifacts and you need someone in charge to send you "nothing" now and again to stop you fooling yourself.

Can I repeat? If you think you have a problem get professionally checked. Easy for me to say in UK of course! I just need a referral from my GP and everything else is free.

I agree with those that say some hearing loss does not preclude your involvement in music in all its forms. Ludwig did a great job (tho' his deafness pissed him off greatly it seems) Our very own Evelin Glenny is nothing short of genius!

Dave.

The first hearing exam I had was in 1967, a couple of months after I had graduated from high school. I received a letter from the U.S. Army and the local draft board mandating my appearance at the local bus station for transport to a medical facility in Providence, RI for a physical exam prior to possible induction into the Vietnam war.

The physical exam was best described by Arlo Guthrie in the song “Alice’s Restaurant” and in the movie of the same name.

TAE is old enough to remember the song and movie! ;)

The hearing test: They put me in a glass walled booth and put a pair of headphones on my head and told me to raise my index finger if I heard anything whenever the examiner gave me the signal that he was raising the frequency. I kept raising my finger until he realized that I was messing with him and indicating that I was hearing sounds that only dogs can hear.

Headphones in 1967? How good could they possibly have been back then?

Here’s another tone test generator.
Online Tone Generator - generate pure tones of any frequency

I’ve experimented with a number of these online hearing tests over the years. I’ve learned enough to know that I used to be able hear tones at 12K and now it’s down to 8.2K using headphones which really isn’t a good indicator. It’s definitely time for me to see an ENT.

"Headphones in 1967? How good could they possibly have been back then?"

Very good is the answer! I would have been 22 but as a teenager I recall a mate had a pair of AKG K50s that he used with his Ferrograph Series 4 (lucky bstd! His mum owned a café!) and they sounded fabulous. The best cans I had heard up to that date was a pair of ex RAF balanced armature types. Not bad but nothing like the bass response of the K50s. I have found a specc' and the AKGs went up to (and beyond I suspect) 25kHz.

They were also of a sensible 400 Ohms impedance and so could be jacked straight in place of the speaker in the Ferro. I guess the EL84 op valve was not that happy but we knew no better then!

I can see that the US Army might not have wanted to use German products in '67 but surely EV or similar was producing good cans?

Dave.

I tried it and, on Sennheiser 280s I could hear the tone clearly just below 14k--about what I expected at age 64.

However, let me throw one more spanner into this hearing test: it's on Youtube which is known to use pretty low bit rate MP3 coding. It didn't affect my ancient hearing but for any of you golden-eared youngsters, be aware that even if YOU can hear up to 20k, Youtube can't.

Here's a frequency analysis of what Youtube is sending:

Hearing%20test_zpsxosgirhw.jpg

Funny, the test result Bobbsy posted drops off where my hearing picked up. Should probably go in for a real hearing test and find out where I'm actually at. Makes me feel good that I've protected my hearing so well in my 55 years.

I tried it and, on Sennheiser 280s I could hear the tone clearly just below 14k

Howdjewdodat Bob?

Dave.

Well, it sure wasn't clean living!

Seriously, I did consciously look after my hearing through the years--I was careful about exposure to overly high levels and, at one stage, even had my ears syringed every six months or so.

But the biggest factor is likely blind (or is that deaf) luck.

No! I meant get the RTA of the Youtube response!
Re syringing, the docs in UK don't like doing that much now I understand? Slight risk of infection.

Dave.

No great technology. I watch the video on my old netbook hooked to a UCA202 and took the output of that into my mixer/multitrack set up and recorded in Audition.

There's a gap in my hearing - due to tinnitus as a result I heard then didn't then did again - it was a shockingly large gap.

There's a gap in my hearing

Eff! Won't quote again! I was rather scathing at the start of this thread but maybe am a bit mollified as things have progressed?

My fear was that peeps would take the tests at arbitrary levels, usually too high, and think themselves tested OK/ A1 at Lloyds. This does not seem to have happened, quite the reverse in fact and folks like Ray have been made aware of their problems.

I shall still say, hearing loss is NOT just about the loss of HF. It is vastly more complex than that and the factors I outlined, inability to follow conversations in the presence of noise e.g. is a much better indication of loss of faculty.

I am now off to give NOW TV another bollocking for their lack of subtitles!

Dave.

Sitting in with my mum, I was surprised by the crudeness in the hearing test - quite a limited number of frequencies, but fired at many different levels and in different sequences and times to prevent prediction. He explained how a loud tone at one frequency could mask a quiet one close by with certain conditions, so they're not necessary looking for gentle peaks and troughs first - but big differences - then they work backwards for 'problems'. Whe I've home tested mine, I went up in freq, then olume, then freq, then volume - and apparently this is NOT how it should be done.

Back