Hamilton to be replaced by woman on $10 bill

Before the Civil War she was a terrorist who helped organize the slaughter of innocent people in the name of freedom by helping the loon John Brown arrange a terrorist attack in the Raid on Harper's Ferry, so that's interesting.

This is more than a bit hyperbolic.

The raid on Harper's Ferry was for the specific purpose of obtaining weapons that they would transfer to slaves in Virginia to help them fight back and/or escape. It was a bad plan, and it didn't work, nor did it generate the slave uprising, and a few innocent people died. But the desired end result was clearly not death and intimidation, it was freedom from slavery.

Guilt has nothing to do with anything. We were all born after that shit happened. There is nothing we can do. This is all symbolic anyway, and therefore unimportant.

That said, it is admirable for a person to say "hey this is bullshit and I'm going to lay it on the line to change things for the better." Harriet Tubman did that.

Andrew Jackson never should have been on there in the first place because he was a giant douche. To me, that is a good enough reason.

Well...since they've already decided to put Tubman on the $20 in place of Jackson...I hope they don't create her image with that pissed-off look she seems to always have in the few real pics of her that I've seen. :D

Tubman is as good a choice as any. Why not? I'm sure more Americans could tell you what Tubman is famous for than Hamilton or Jackson. Who says the same old faces should be on the greenbacks forever? I'd be in favor of mixing it up like they did with the state quarters. And just keep rotating. This year, it's Elvis on the $50, next year Judy Garland or Timothy Leary. However George Washington should always and forever be on the $1.

I like the rotating idea. And why do these stupid fuckers have to be dead? Dead people don't care. Let's use living people. Honor a living person with a turn on currency.

I like the rotating idea. And why do these stupid fuckers have to be dead? Dead people don't care. Let's use living people. Honor a living person with a turn on currency.

Hahaha, I like it. Although it could get confusing after a while. Let's see, there are 4 Kardashians in a Madonna, and 20 Madonnas to a Cumberbatch. I think that the largest denomination should have Ron Jeremy on it. Because everybody knows that you can only fit about half a Jeremy in your pocket.

I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with this. Andrew Jackson wasn't really a nice dude. He was the Hitler of his day: He just didn't lose any wars, so he isn't written as a bad guy in the history books. Hitler himself studied a lot about Andrew Jackson to give him 'inspiration' on how to conduct the Holocaust.

Well. . . the reason for that is to avoid a politician deifying themselves by putting their face on the currency. I do actually agree with that part, though. . . yeah. . . I'm in favor of changing it from Jackson to Tubman. Way better thing to be known for than a genocidal maniac.

Because it's a token PC PR stunt.
It's not the first time non-presidents have appeared on US currency. It's a good thing to get away from this mindless president worship nonsense. Non-politicians on money, especially ones who were human rights heroes is good in my book. It's a lot better thing to celebrate in American culture than the Genocide of Native Americans.

That didn't stop any of you from trying to load your wallets with his face.
Pretty sure we didn't have a choice in the matter.

Yeah but she's white. We can't have that.

Greg, every other person on US bank-notes has been white... I'm pretty sure you can have that.

We've not had any ethnic minorities on UK Banknotes either. We always have the queen on one side and a famous person, usual a social reformer, scientist or inventor on the other. We've had a few women on banknotes too, I think its now been decided that we'll always have at least one woman. Don't think we've ever had a politician on a banknote.

At the moment we have the following:

£5 Elizabeth Fry - She was a social/prison reformer
£10 Charles Darwin
£20 Adam Smith - Moral Philosopher
£50 James Watt - An inventor

We've also had Isaac Newton, Florence Nightingale and William Shakespeare in the past.

Back