A Great Sound I Heard

DM60

Saturday night, sitting on a porch. Couple of people sitting around and my nephew shows up. He is a really good acoustic guitar player (rock style not classical, think Nirvana unplugged) and has a killer voice to go with it. Nice deep warm vocal. He pulls out is his Taylor with a big sound box, starts playing.

To give you an idea of the setup, he was facing a wall, about 8 feet away and behind him was open and the porch has about 10 foot high ceiling. The facade of the house is a man made wood facing. I am sitting about 10 feet away from him diagonal, about 2 foot way from the house wall. I get just enough bounce from my left and my right to get some slight panning for a stereo effect. No rumble for the acoustic, high strings where bouncing real nice, the vocals coming just slightly off the house (for nice reverb ;) ). There was no wind and almost dead silence in the neighborhood.

That had to be one of the greatest sounds I have ever heard. I now have a reference in my head and hope I can get it again. Afterwards I talked to him about trying to record some organic songs with his acoustic, acoustic bass and maybe a washboard for the percussion and see if that sound can be captured, I don't think it can, but what a chase it will be.

Just thought I would share.

Whatever it was, one I remember (that is good) and two, it was really a great sound.

Great story and great goal to set...good luck "chasing the dragon" hope ya catch him!

Love them happy accidents. We've had many really cool effects one our acoustic instruments off ..or in :) various wood structures.

I am going to try this out next time i record acoustic, two pointing at the guitar, then two pointing at the wall and try and kill everything else behind the player. Then in the mix, pan the direct mics towards the center (slight L/R), pan the two reflecting mics wider. See what that yields.

Back