Great Documentary on THE BEATLES IN THE STUDIO

TAE

All you have is now
I know a lot of ya's do not get or dig the Beatles...a lot of us do

Some very enlightening and impressive insight into the anomaly we often just kind of pass off as "The Beatles"

Great little tid bits throughout from all the members ( mostly John and Paul ) and George Martin like when they were writing and recording the songs for HELP they'd pull of jamming out and recording 2 songs in 3 hours.

An awesome thing to note is that most everything from Help on was 4 tracks doubled and tripled...The pristine quality amazing...

They were clueless about orchestral instruments but learned quick how to implement them in their music....

ENJOY!

I am not a Beatles fan, but I always thought the vocals on Twist and Shout were among the greatest vocal takes ever recorded. (5:00 mark)

Lennon said Twist and Shout was a killer vocally. You can hear it, although it did add an edge. They played it in D. Drop it to C, it's less strenuous on the vocal cords, and the walk up on the git from G to C is much more simple. Seems to make better sense all around. Surprised they didn't consider changing the key. Perhaps they wanted to stay loyal to the original, which was actually, probably published to be in Eb.

Huge Beatles fan in my youth.

Lennon said Twist and Shout was a killer vocally.

Huge Beatles fan in my youth.

They discuss it here @ 5 minutes as Andrushkiwt noted.... wouldn't matter what key he sang it in....he was going for RASPY and ya got rip the chords to get that...The speed and quantity of songs they would record in a session is stunning...they saved Twist and Shout for the last song on that session because they knew he'd be dust for a few days afterwards...

I was @ 10 when they hit.......My sister was 17 and was ape shit over them... her room was covered with pictures and posters of them...I didn't get it and thought the long hair was a gimmick...By the time I was 11 and in 7th grade I got it...well them and the Monkeys :o.... too funny...When they released Help they owned the world..... Never would have dreamed what was next but they totally morphed into a progressive psychedelic mind blowing band.....with some pop rock roots. man I loved listening Sgt Pepper and The White Album.

I was six. Like hoards of guys my age, and most boomers in general, that day in February 1964 changed the course of my life. I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say that this very forum wouldn't have existed without the Beatles. And guys who came along after Beatlemania will never understand it, and those of us who lived through it will never be able to properly explain it.

I Saw Her Standing There, She Loves You, I Want to Hold Your Hand were a few 45s I played to death on the old Philco I had in my room. Just a kid with an unplayable Kay guitar that had been my dad's and spent too many years in my grandmother's attic. Funny thing is I moved on to R&B for a few years (playing trumpet - likely because of that lousy guitar :)), and really didn't get back into them until I was out of HS.

It's really a remarkable story, and I still think they were creative geniuses, even if they leveraged their way into it (like all R&R) by way of the groundwork laid by all those largely unknown R&B artists.

Yeah, I scanned through some of it and saw some of the T&S segment. I have it bookmarked to watch in full at some point.

I was about 8-9 ('71-'72) when my uncle coolly unloaded a stack of albums on me and my older brothers. It was all kinds of stuff, from Jethro Tull (Stand Up), Donovan, Steppenwolf(7),....to Meet The Beatles!, and Revolver. It was quite an education. I absolutely loved Meet The Beatles!. Maybe i'd heard some of those songs before I was even old enough to remember. I especially liked All My Loving, something about the way John strummed. I don't know, there was something exciting about it. I Saw Her Standing There, exciting. When i'd drop the needle on Got To Get You Into My Life, from Revolver, it was like Beatlemania all over again. You could almost hear the girls screaming after that line.

Of course that track went straight into Tomorrow Never Knows. Yeah, I wasn't quite ready for that one yet. My older brothers had gone off to Jr High and High School, and had to be at school earlier than I. Being in the house alone, a little freaky. I couldn't get to the record player fast enough to lift the needle.

The first Beatles album I acquired on my own was The Red Album(compilation). My first "lead" once I got an electric guitar, put it down in favor of an acoustic, and then picked it back up again, probably Dizzy Miss Lizzie. lol First lead vocal, possibly Twist and Shout. Did that song in many bands in the following years. Always played/sang it in C.

The Beatles and Zeppelin, definitely my biggest influences.

While I still greatly admire your musical talents, this sentence simply doesn't compute. :)

I didn't want to hijack the thread with my opinions on them, but I just never found their music to be captivating. That is just my opinion - though I can certainly understand why others like them and what they offer musically, but personally it doesn't hit the mark.

I didn't want to hijack the thread with my opinions on them, but I just never found their music to be captivating. That is just my opinion - though I can certainly understand why others like them and what they offer musically, but personally it doesn't hit the mark.

I don't know how old you are, but if I were young I'm sure I wouldn't get it either. As the saying goes, literally 'you had to be there'.

I don't know how old you are, but if I were young I'm sure I wouldn't get it either. As the saying goes, literally 'you had to be there'.

I suppose, maybe. But if it had to do with "being there", then I'm not sure I would actually like CCR or LZ today. I mean, I wasn't "there" when they were around, but I still am fascinated by their music.

Yeah, I don't know about that. I still think sometimes it's just different strokes for different folks. I wasn't there for the Beatles either, but they still affected me more than any other band, hands down. I practically spent my entire 20s immersed in their whole catalog, and I can still easily find inspiration from them pretty much whenever I want today.

On the other hand, I certainly "was there" for Metallica, and there music doesn't do jack sh*t for me. I'm certainly not comparing Metallica to the Beatles, but obviously they have leagues of die-hard fans that identify wholeheartedly with their music.

Funny that this thread should come up, but a documentary about ABBA caught my eye the other day. It was quite a good one because it focused on the production side of things. Now, in my totally unbiased :laughings: and well-informed :laughings: opinion, ABBA were unparalleled in their time, when it came to sound engineering and production.

Indeed, they were, in part, inspired originally by the Beatles, but they were way more skilled when it came to sound engineering, notwithstanding the improvements in technology. What surprised me was the number of people involved. Of course, there was the jamming, then there was the dummy lyrics, the backing whatnots, real lyrics, translations, blah, blah, blah etc. as the production got passed back and forth between different groups of people. (Like they'd even employ an expert in baseline, just to get it right.)

You don't often get to hear about all that back office talent, and I certainly didn't hear much about it in that Beatles docu.

Funny that this thread should come up, but a documentary about ABBA caught my eye the other day. It was quite a good one because it focused on the production side of things. Now, in my totally unbiased :laughings: and well-informed :laughings: opinion, ABBA were unparalleled in their time, when it came to sound engineering and production.

Look forward to checking that one out...was never a big ABBA fan but they were a powerhouse of long standing hit tunes. They did something right...

On the engineering there are quite a few amazing bands who had monster teams and talent behind them..... ELO and Jeff Lynn, Alan Parsons, YES, Genesis, The Who come to mind at first thoughts about it...Always blown away with Elton's productions in that era......

But of course like you that is in my totally unbiased :laughings: and well-informed :laughings: narrow minded, sap sucking son of tricky Dick opinion :guitar:

I've listened to some of Taras (andrushkiwt) music on Soundcloud and he's a damn fine musician and songwriter...I suspect it is just a lack of actually taking the time to truly study the full volume of work that all gets lumped up into what we call "The Beatles" ...I mean how else could a bad ass musician not be impressed or inspired by such a song writing force?

I've heard a lot of people say they hate the beatles but they were stubborn stuck in rut types I don't get that from his responses here or his music.

I'm betting if he spent 2 hours of going through hand picked songs by the group here we could win him over...I'm thinking.

So howsabout it Taras... if we each pick one favorite Beatles song would you take the time to listen and give your opinion on em?

Think it'd be a fun little experiment.

If so I'll figure out how we can compile a list and get it to ya...

Lemme know dude.

Last edited:
I can forgive (tune out) cheesy lyrics. I think ABBA's Bjorn even called himself out on the cheesiness of their lyrics, but I cannot tune out stilted or naive rhythm, and sorry to have to say, but that is the main thing that kills it for me with the Beatles.

Your docu mentions that their music was originally inspired by Blues, but rhythm didn't translate well from African music to European music. The systems were fundamentally different. Rhythm sense got flattened and murdered in translation. Even Latino music was a major simplification of its African roots. It is one area in which I would say that ABBA did well. They "flouted" the rules and shifted their rhythms into something less one-dimensional. Their whole "wall of sound" thing, developed from other pioneers, was what made their sound and the strength of their music. They did not insist on the listener being able to pick out each individual instrument. It all melded into a "sound". Yeah, they got clobbered for their lyrics along the line -- off the top of my head, I can only think of one that spoke to me -- Fernando. But then, few songs have lyrics that speak to me, which is probably why I am not inspired by many of the top groups whose strength is supposed to be in their lyrics.

...not be impressed or inspired by such a song writing force?

I've heard a lot of people say they hate the beatles...

Hey now, I did not say I hate them. I have a couple of their tunes on my Amazon Prime playlist, and the gal and I will jam out to Twist & Shout on our roadtrips. And I am impressed by their songwriting, but "impressed" isn't enough for me. It doesn't hit me deeply, anywhere, like some other music does. If I had to listen to a 2 hour playlist of Beatles music, I would prob sigh and moan 20 minutes into it - I just can't tolerate it for too long. But I recognize the hits and what they mean to others, and I respect that.

But to be really honest, there's only one band who I can listen to every song ever recorded, written, jammed, demoed, etc... that's Nirvana. They are my "you had to be there" group, though I know I just bashed that concept in my last post :) For me, being 10 when they came out, hearing the noises they made with their guitars, the screaming and pain in his voice, was something I had never experienced, and being that age..well, it just hit me even more. I didn't know music could sound like that. It made me uncomfortable at first, like I was doing something wrong, listening to Scentless Apprentice or Endless Nameless. But is was compelling enough to keep listening. Then, I was hooked.

I was 38 with two young daughters and in total denial that my Rock Star golden ship had quietly sailed off into the C-ya L8R sunset when MTV introduced me to das Nirvana.... Oh man this was most excellent rock n roll....

So just for shits n grins what is your favorite Beatles song?

I've been trying to pick one...there are several I really like.... Fixing a hole always took me to some bizarre place.(very cool tune) ..Nowhere man, For no one, A day in the life...oh shit the more I think the blurrier it gets...cause I do dig me some early stuff too! ( She loves you , when I saw her standing there...you got to hide your love away ...But I think they are more from being emotionally connected than looking at it as a musician... I started studying / paying attention to songwriting @ 1968..so it's all their later stuff that impress's me on that side....
Elanor Rigby is pretty bad ass....

OK I'll go with Strawberry Fields as #1 for me.....with A day in the life, For no one, Fixing a hole, Norwegian wood, Nowhere man, Help, Elanor Rigby, Twist and Shout and Yesterday in my top 10...man I had to leave a lot of other favs out but I narrowed it down to 10

Come together...dang

Last edited:
Back