Good films?

I liked it for its old school "epicness" just not so keen on biblical stuff

Red Cliff ("Chi bi"), The first chapter of a two-part story centered on a battle fought in China's Three Kingdoms period (220-280 A.D.).

It has old school epic and I just like movies around that period, whether it is Europe, Middle East. I am 99% sure they do not use CGI for the battle scenes, just a bunch of people. After all, they have enough. Sub-titled only, but great battle scenes.

Ive seen Red Cliff....there's a theatre release single film but they hack too much out of it. One of my favourite films is Ran, no CGI (1985), full of epicness I highly recommend it...though its Japanese not Chinese. I think its was the most expensive Japanese film made at the time.

We used to have two great cinemas called the Filmhouse and the Cameo in Edinburgh where I grew up. They show mainly foreign and independent films. Sometimes you'd be the only ones in there...saw Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer with 6 mates, all of us on acid...it was fun! Another time I saw Tetsuo II Bodyhammer, only two of us, stoned out of our brains...about a guy who gets revenge on the skinheads who kidnap his son by slowly metamorphosing into a tank!

I miss those cinemas, all we have here is an AMC multiplex :(

Ive seen Red Cliff....there's a theatre release single film but they hack too much out of it. One of my favourite films is Ran, no CGI (1985), full of epicness I highly recommend it...though its Japanese not Chinese. I think its was the most expensive Japanese film made at the time.

The reason they cut so much out was due to the fact that the original version was like 4 hours. I had to watch it in installments. But I did really like it.

With such a long written history, the Chinese film makers have a lot of material to draw from.

Recently watched Legend. (About The Krays for those that don't know.) Absolute awful film.

Straight Outta Compton was pretty good. Looking at Ice Cube's son is like looking at him 25 yrs ago. Uncanny.

Went to watch The Revenant last night at the cinema. It was a bit long but a really good film. Oscar worthy? Hmmmm, I dunno. I'd defo recommend it to people though.

It was a toss up between The Revenant and The Hateful Eight. Gonna go watch that next week.

:thumbs up:

Went to watch The Revenant last night at the cinema. It was a bit long but a really good film. Oscar worthy? Hmmmm, I dunno. I'd defo recommend it to people though.

That was pretty much my take as well. Really long. Made worse by these long camera pans at scenery. It was beautifully filmed, and the scenery is georgeous, but towards the end I was mostly going "can we please move this along."

Decent enough film, and worth the $8, but the standards for an Oscar have dropped considerably. DiCaprio is supposedly the leading contender for best actor, and he's got like 8 lines in this film. :confused:

That was pretty much my take as well. Really long. Made worse by these long camera pans at scenery. It was beautifully filmed, and the scenery is georgeous, but towards the end I was mostly going "can we please move this along."

Decent enough film, and worth the $8, but the standards for an Oscar have dropped considerably. DiCaprio is supposedly the leading contender for best actor, and he's got like 8 lines in this film. :confused:

Yup, the fact that The Revenant got noms for best actor, director, and film is proof that the Oscars are completely meaningless. Such a joke...that movie is one of the slowest-moving and self-indulgent films I've ever seen. Guess this means I could win an Oscar too one day. All it takes is 3 hours of grunting and maintaining the same pained facial expression the entire time.

It was a toss up between The Revenant and The Hateful Eight. Gonna go watch that next week.

:thumbs up:

If you like Tarantino's other stuff, you'll definitely like Hateful 8. I'm not a big fan myself, but I still really liked that movie, even though it's a bit slow in parts.

Brit Squaddie gets left behind and has to make his way through Belfast in 1971...pretty good

Best line

"The army, where posh cunts tell thick cunts to kill poor cunts"

Going to go watch The Witch on Thursday. :D Pretty excited about it, because I've heard it's a great "atmospheric" horror film, and it has drawn a lot of style comparisons to The Shining. No cheap jump scares and whatnot. Like that one quote that goes something like : "The monster behind the closed door is much more terrifying than the monster roaring in your face."

Going to go watch The Witch on Thursday. :D Pretty excited about it, because I've heard it's a great "atmospheric" horror film, and it has drawn a lot of style comparisons to The Shining. No cheap jump scares and whatnot. Like that one quote that goes something like : "The monster behind the closed door is much more terrifying than the monster roaring in your face."

I only like the monster behind the door horrors, though I enjoyed the exorcism of emily rose. The conjuring was good as well

Brit Squaddie gets left behind and has to make his way through Belfast in 1971...pretty good

Best line

"The army, where posh cunts tell thick cunts to kill poor cunts"

'71 is a great film. Jack O'Connell is turning out to be a cracking little actor. He was great in Starred Up but Unbroken was his best yet. Two films I'd definite recommend.

Interstellar was a nice movie imo.

Great special effects but everything was terrible. From the sound to the dialogue it was all just bad. The acting, however, was outstandingly horrific. Planks of wood with painted faces probably would've done a better job, IMO.

It was a film I was looking forward too but was beyond disappointed with the result. Terrible film.

'71 is a great film. Jack O'Connell is turning out to be a cracking little actor. He was great in Starred Up but Unbroken was his best yet. Two films I'd definite recommend.

yup, seen them too, hard to believe it was him in Unbroken he's so convincing as an American.

I though Starred Up was just going to be another Scum wannabe but it was far better...great Australian actor plays his dad in it too, forgot his name, but because of their acting the film was much better than it should've been.

What I liked about '71 was every side was a shit in it, the RUC, the Brit Army, IRA, all portrayed pretty badly...which I thought was much more even handed than I thought it would be

Yeah totally agree. I was hoping it wouldn't be another run of the mill prison film and wasn't disappointed. He's a great little actor. At his young age and such achievements, you would expect greater films from him in the future.

Ben Mendleson? I think his name is. He was very good in it but then, they all were.

I really like this thread. :thumbs up: You guys give me great ideas for movies to watch, rather than the typical shit.

Interstellar was a nice movie imo.

The movie failed in only one aspect; it didn't have enough time to go thoroughly into the science. They basically had to cram tons of theory into single lines of script. Not to mention the philosophical side of the end of mankind. Great movie.

I thought interstellar was great too, although the last act was a little bit pointless - they could have wrapped it up quicker - only seen it the once, I would really like to see it again.

I really liked Ex Machina - worth a watch if you like thinky sci-fi.

I really liked Ex Machina - worth a watch if you like thinky sci-fi.

Yeah Ex Machina was pretty sick. Just the fact that they make such an engaging and suspenseful story with like 4 actors and a couple sets is awesome. As a CS guy, I loved that movie.

Ex Machina was a really good film. Watched that with the wife and watched She the same night. Two very good films.

A film to avoid at all costs is Kill Kane. Dreadful.

Back