Good films?

Escape From New York... ha, man I remember that one.

Just finished watching Texas Chain Saw Massacre for the first time. Never been much into horror flicks, but it was nice to see the start of a genre.... It was gruesome almost to the point of comical.

I recognized one spot in the film that is not too far from my house. Funny how much has changed since the movie was made.... All that empty space around the house is now completely built up.

At least the spec effects are good! :D

Sure. I saw it at the movies, and enjoyed it at lot on the big screen because of the effects. The opening scene was pretty cool from an FX point of view. I bought it on DVD, and Anakins temper tantrum at the end virtually ruined the whole movie for me.

That guy should never have got the job. I know I've said this before but they should have given it to Wentworth Miller, he'd have rocked the shit.

The whole prequel trilogy really needed more Liam Neeson and less Hayden Christiansen.

I'll get the original trilogy on blu-ray, but I don't think I can justify paying for the blu-ray prequel discs that I'll probably only watch once.

Sure. I saw it at the movies, and enjoyed it at lot on the big screen because of the effects. The opening scene was pretty cool from an FX point of view. I bought it on DVD, and Anakins temper tantrum at the end virtually ruined the whole movie for me.

That guy should never have got the job. I know I've said this before but they should have given it to Wentworth Miller, he'd have rocked the shit.

Yeah, I agree! He's a pretty bad actor...I think I watched it in the theater once. Haven't watched it since :laughings:

Just finished watching Texas Chain Saw Massacre for the first time. Never been much into horror flicks, but it was nice to see the start of a genre.... It was gruesome almost to the point of comical.

That's always been my favourite horror film. If you could pidgeonhole it as such. It's one of a kind (no matter how many times they tried to reproduce it in the sequels). What I really liked was how, in terms of what was on screen, it very un-gruesome. Everything is implied and your mind builds on it. It's a psychological horror but it's so in your face at the same time that the description quite doesn't fit. I think it's an absolute work of genius. I remember watching it one time when I was very sleepy and couldn't keep my eyes open. If you watch it with your eyes shut, it takes on a whole new form of disturbing. All you can hear is a chainsaw and a chick screaming for most of it. And yeah, it was at the same time a very black comedy, from the whiney crippled guy (I couldn't help but burst out laughing when he falls down the hill), to the crazy guy who works in the slaughterhouse. It's just full on hillbilly insanity. It's dirty, it's grimy. Really gives you the feel for how fucked up these people are.

I wouldn't call it the start of a genre though. You have 1922's 'Nosferatu' to thank for that. Chainsaw Massacre is in a genre all of it's own IMO. One they tried to ape in The Hills Have Eyes, and a few other movies, but failed at, because filmmakers don't seem to be able to make a psychologically disturbing movie without getting their balls out on screen and using FX to delimb people and saw their faces off in full color. There's no subtlety. I mostly hate horror films today.

I've seen the remake, and oh my god did they miss the point. On screen gore and dismemberment, dumb attractive teens being dumb and attractive. No misfit protagonists. Shitty movie. I might watch it tonight.

The sequels to the original were fucking retarded too.

So did anyone ever go see the remake of Fright Night? I want to hear other people's thoughts on it, especially if they've seen the original too!

I bought it on DVD, and Anakins temper tantrum at the end virtually ruined the whole movie for me.

Yeah, I agree. I never gave the acting a second thought. You're right about those tantrums. When I said I thought it was the best of the sequels, I was referring more to the storyline. If it wasn't made for kids, they could have really delved into the transition. There's a lot of untold story there.

That's always been my favourite horror film. If you could pidgeonhole it as such. It's one of a kind (no matter how many times they tried to reproduce it in the sequels). What I really liked was how, in terms of what was on screen, it very un-gruesome. Everything is implied and your mind builds on it. It's a psychological horror but it's so in your face at the same time that the description quite doesn't fit. I think it's an absolute work of genius. I remember watching it one time when I was very sleepy and couldn't keep my eyes open. If you watch it with your eyes shut, it takes on a whole new form of disturbing. All you can hear is a chainsaw and a chick screaming for most of it. And yeah, it was at the same time a very black comedy, from the whiney crippled guy (I couldn't help but burst out laughing when he falls down the hill), to the crazy guy who works in the slaughterhouse. It's just full on hillbilly insanity. It's dirty, it's grimy. Really gives you the feel for how fucked up these people are.

I wouldn't call it the start of a genre though. You have 1922's 'Nosferatu' to thank for that. Chainsaw Massacre is in a genre all of it's own IMO. One they tried to ape in The Hills Have Eyes, and a few other movies, but failed at, because filmmakers don't seem to be able to make a psychologically disturbing movie without getting their balls out on screen and using FX to delimb people and saw their faces off in full color. There's no subtlety. I mostly hate horror films today.

I've seen the remake, and oh my god did they miss the point. On screen gore and dismemberment, dumb attractive teens being dumb and attractive. No misfit protagonists. Shitty movie. I might watch it tonight.

The sequels to the original were fucking retarded too.

A review straight out of film school. :) I liked how leatherhead was almost dancing when he cut up the first victim.

We went to see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy last night and loved it. It's a film that's so gripping, it almost suffocates in its own detail. The bleakness of seventies Britain was so well-rendered I could almost smell it. We may be looking at several Oscar nominations.

Modern filmgoers should note that there are significant periods of silence, and some talking.

Attack the Block

Brilliant sci fi B movie...hoodies versus aliens in a south london estate....really enjoyed it and pretty well done, though the London street slang might lose some of our yank friends

Attack the Block

Brilliant sci fi B movie...hoodies versus aliens in a south london estate....really enjoyed it and pretty well done, though the London street slang might lose some of our yank friends

Aye, saw this at the cinema a couple of months ago - very funny I thought. Pretty different from what I'd expected from Joe Cornish, but a good saturday night film.

Finally got round to watching Four Lions recently as well, which I enjoyed too. Rubber dinghy rapids bro

We went to see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy last night and loved it. It's a film that's so gripping, it almost suffocates in its own detail. The bleakness of seventies Britain was so well-rendered I could almost smell it. We may be looking at several Oscar nominations.

Modern filmgoers should note that there are significant periods of silence, and some talking.

i want to see that, i remember my old man watching the TV series...heard it will be oscar worthy

Aye, saw this at the cinema a couple of months ago - very funny I thought. Pretty different from what I'd expected from Joe Cornish, but a good saturday night film.

Finally got round to watching Four Lions recently as well, which I enjoyed too. Rubber dinghy rapids bro

lol

yeah its funny to end up feeling sympathetic for extremist suicide bombers :facepalm:

have you seen Eden Lake? I need to track a copy of that down...got The Guard for tonight...dunno if Ill like it...Munch seems to think so :)

lol

yeah its funny to end up feeling sympathetic for extremist suicide bombers :facepalm:

have you seen Eden Lake? I need to track a copy of that down...got The Guard for tonight...dunno if Ill like it...Munch seems to think so :)

I've not seen that one kc - I don't generally go for horror films. Is it any good?

I think Four Lions satirises the different types of Muslamic extremists pretty well from the white convert who wants to fit in and so ends up the most extreme of the lot to the unfocused antiwesternism of a couple of the dumber ones in the group.

Going to catch Tinker, Tailor... while it's still on at the cinema and was hoping to see Captain America while it's on too as we watched some of it being filmed in the backstreets of Manchester. Got Aliens lined up for this evening's viewing. Classic stuff.

Back