Good films?

Watched Insidious last night...same guy that did the first Saw and Paranormal Activity...both which had influences on this, both which i thought were shit...but this was good...had a couple of champion fright bits..i think i reached a foot or two in the air at one of them lol..and falls into ghostbusters ridiculousness by the second half which was pretty entertaining..

good date movie

I watched District 9 last night, a thought provoking action flick. The style takes some getting used to but highly recommended.

I saw "Unstoppable" a couple weeks ago, about a runaway train. It was pretty good. Didn't think I'd care for it but it immediately sucks you in while the credits are still coming up.

I saw "Unstoppable" a couple weeks ago, about a runaway train. It was pretty good. Didn't think I'd care for it but it immediately sucks you in while the credits are still coming up.

Is it anything close to a rip off of *Silver Streak*?

Silver Steak was a movie of a run away train featuring the once again team of Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor cia 1976.

Yeah, I thought that movie rocked! Denzel Washington is one of my favorite actors.

[Homer]Sounds a bit like a film I saw once about a bus that had to speed around a city, keeping its speed over 50, and if its speed changed, it would explode! I think it was called, The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down.[Homer/]

I just watched a flick that came out a couple of years ago; a Tim Burton movie called 9. Pretty good flick; great animation. It was based on a master's thesis a guy did that was a short flick about 11 minutes long - fabulous. You can get it at netflix.

Other movies I remember as being very, very well done, if chilling - What Dreams may Come with Robin Williams in a not -funny role. Another film I remember, which is more chilling than Hitchcock - is The Talented Mr. Ripley with Matt Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow and Jude Law. That is a wicked psychological thriller. Don't bother watching it if you're homophobic though; leave it to the grownups.

What Dreams May Come...that was a good one. Total stream of consciousness here, but that reminds (for some reason) of Eternal Spotless of the Spotless Mind. Maybe I just saw 'em around the same time, but I loved that one too.

Office Space is a pretty freakin' funny movie...

I'm always up for a new film and this thread has given me some ideas. Seems like there are too many comic book adaptions and digital cartoons about talking animals the last 5-10 years or so. It gets old.

Huge Kurosawa fan here. Someone mentioned him earlier - can't recommend his stuff enough - Ran, The Seven Samurai, etc.. Also Miyasaki - Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, etc.

Ran is one of my all time favourites...before the world of CGI they actually used thousand of extras....great film

Ran is one of my all time favourites...before the world of CGI they actually used thousand of extras....great film

Yes indeed, the pure scope of those battles is amazing. Kurosawa has a great minimalist sense of composition. I have mixed feelings on CGI...at the time, Jurassic Park really blew us away, but bad CGI is the worst. Give me a guy in a rubber monster suit any day...or stop motion...

Another great director is Werner Hertzog...his stuff with Klaus Kinski is intense. I particularly like Fitzcaraldo and Aguirre, Wrath of God. They used to show that stuff on IFC all the time...not so much now. :(

Office Space is a pretty freakin' funny movie...

I'm always up for a new film and this thread has given me some ideas. Seems like there are too many comic book adaptions and digital cartoons about talking animals the last 5-10 years or so. It gets old.

Huge Kurosawa fan here. Someone mentioned him earlier - can't recommend his stuff enough - Ran, The Seven Samurai, etc.. Also Miyasaki - Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, etc.

Looks like we got similar taste in films as well as music Heatmiser - love both Office Space and the Miyasaki films. Spirited Away etc are just great for complete escapism.

Last film I watched was Infernal Affairs - I knew the Departed was based on it, but didn't realise the extent to which the film was simply lifted from Hong Kong and dropped wholesale in America. Probably just about enough difference visually to warrant the remake.

I just watched a flick that came out a couple of years ago; a Tim Burton movie called 9. Pretty good flick; great animation. It was based on a master's thesis a guy did that was a short flick about 11 minutes long - fabulous. You can get it at netflix.

Someone metioned that earlier in the thread. It's excellent. Very different to the usual animations, a bit darker, and scarier for the kids. Timur Bekmembatov, who made the Night Watch movies, was the executive producer on it, and anything he touches seems to turn to gold IMO.

Back