Golf...Love it? Hate it? Play it? Never Played it? Will never play it?

If you go to the range you will see a bunch of n00bs hitting driver and not working on their other shots even though those other shots are far more important. If you want to score well you gotta work on the short game - being able to get loft when necessary, having a high percentage of chipping on and one putting anywhere inside of 60 yards or so, not letting a single bunker ruin and entire round, eliminating 3 putts, etc.

If you go to the range you will see a bunch of n00bs hitting driver and not working on their other shots even though those other shots are far more important. If you want to score well you gotta work on the short game - being able to get loft when necessary, having a high percentage of chipping on and one putting anywhere inside of 60 yards or so, not letting a single bunker ruin and entire round, eliminating 3 putts, etc.

I never thought of that! Practice chipping! Fuck!

Drive for show, putt for dough. But the real money is in the short game. If every shot from 50-100 yards is on the green and you two-putt you are in the zone.

Drive for show, putt for dough. But the real money is in the short game. If every shot from 50-100 yards is on the green and you two-putt you are in the zone.

That's what I try to do. I'd rather try to drop an 9 iron on the green from the fairway than chip from 10 feet away. :laughings:

Yeah half-swing shit kills me. I can putt okay but once I get under full swing range on my steepest wedge I'm fucked. Bump and run? Yeah run right off the back side. lol Fuckin' golf!!

Yeah half-swing shit kills me. I can putt okay but once I get under full swing range on my steepest wedge I'm fucked. Bump and run? Yeah run right off the back side. lol Fuckin' golf!!

Yeah I don't take it very seriously. I play with my dad and sometimes a few other dudes. One day my dad will not be able to play anymore and then I'll probably stop too. I don't love it or anything. I just do it with my dad. It's a good way to spend time together when it's not football season.

You're just saying words. They have no meaning or significance to me.

It's like me going "yeah, taphonomy is everything; the details of mineralisation and lithification are fair enough, but these artefacts could've been part of a mass-burial thanatocoenosis".

You're just saying words. They have no meaning or significance to me.

It's like me going "yeah, taphonomy is everything; the details of mineralisation and lithification are fair enough, but these artefacts could've been part of a mass-burial thanatocoenosis".

Ah, but "mineralisation" tells me you are likely British.

The key is getting a screwdriver or bloody mary before the game and then keeping fueled up on cheap light beer that doesn't weigh you down during the round. Aiming fluid! :drunk:

I guess that's okay for amateurs but one of the guys I played golf with regularly was Danish and kept a flask of a vicious fluid called "Gammeldansk" in his bag. There was a complicated set of rules about when we had to take a swig--but they amounted to a drink most holes.

Significantly, my Danish friend was a scratch golfer and I've seen him hit as much as 6 under par on some of the easier courses. Maybe Gammeldansk is the secret?

Yep. Up and down in two as many holes as possible. Getting to the green in a couple is no good if you mess up the up and down.

The old saying, drive for show, putt for dough.

I followed the shit and ass convention...but for some reason I could chip fairly well. The trouble was getting near enough the green in less than 12 strokes so I could chip.

I cannot use a wood from the fairway to save my life... I'm OK with the chipping and putting and off the tee... I think my clubs must be too short! :mad:

I have not been on a golf course in almost 20 years. Yet, I still have my clubs. I think. Maybe they've rusted into a pile of dust at the bottom of the bag and only the club covers are sticking out of the top. I don't know...

I won a best ball tournament once. That was cool. At a golf tournament for a semiconductor convention in Austin. The guy who put the tournament together was a supplier of mine. I did him a huge favor by getting his little chemical distribution system accepted by one of the industries biggest equipment manufacturer and he made a ton of sales after that. So when he organized the golf tournament, he put me on a team with 2 scratch players. I couldn't drive for shit, but my putting game was spot on. The other two guys would get us on the green and I would put it in. Got a king Cobra driver out of it. It's probably rusted by now. I haven't looked.

Last edited:
Back