Golden State Killer caught with fake DNA profile

TAE

All you have is now
I don't know how many of ya's have done the DNA typing thing but I have had it done for myself, my wife, my daughters and son in laws..Pretty cool being able to get a generalized snap shot of your genetic roots. I have found some relatives I did not know exist and in one instance a pretty freaky genetic connection to one of my son in laws very close friends...like he was a 2nd to 3rd cousin...weird shit.

So having used both 23and me and ancestry.com I have a understanding of how the cops found this piece of shit murderous bastard.
They had enough pristine dna from him from crime scenes to submit it to one of the major DNA typing services ( not sure which one or if they did more than one) and gave his sample a fake name...Then they waited and watched as the dna matches started popping up...eventually narrowing it down to matches in the geographic area where he commited the majority of his crimes. Armed with that they went down the rabbit hole and started profiling and eventually came to believe they had their man...They followed him around and collected a public DNA donation from him...like if he stopped at Starbucks and had a coffee they'd grab his cup after he was done...Tested it..it was a match...They followed him again for a second sample and again confirmed it was match and the jack ass was busted....:guitar:

So the way I see it ...this is pretty bitchin stuff....a little spooky 1984 ish but having lived through the fear and hell of the Night Stalker I am one who is all for this kind of bad guy hunting. Any legal means necessary to get these pest off the streets.

Anyway ethicist, or maybe it's just the media seem to be making a big deal out of how they went about this as if it is an invasion of our privacy. I don't feel they crossed any lines myself. If I happen to be related to a really bad guy like this and my DNA profile helps the good guys catch the piece of dirt I'm totally OK with it.

When I submitted my DNA I was a little concerned that possibly down the road this may come back to bite me, my kids, grandkids and so on in the ass when Big Brother decides that anyone with Irish roots must be terminated and they use these databases to find us :eek:...but I went for it anyway.

Just thought I'd pose the question here and see if any of ya's have thoughts on the idea that the way the cops went about this is wrong.

Big breakthrough case, Im all for the DNA but it has to be controlled more. Obviously, with the ability now to plant DNA, its a real issue.
There has to be more than just DNA. As you mention the crimes general area placed him there, he had access etc..
DNA is huge, its now going into pico world, less than nano, which is amazing.
Today theres digital footprints like GPS, cell towers, computer activity, and the cameras so its all great stuff.

Im watching Deadwood, HBO and you cant help but wonder what it was like in the wild west....the crooks killed and tossed the bodies to the pigs and there wasnt much evidence to be had. Amazing in a short time they went from 1800-1900 nearly a caveman, to todays satellites and DNA like science.

time for more coffee

Back