Getuhgrip Update - HR Long Time member and his family could use his HR friends right

Treeline

OK Listen up!

A beloved and long time HR member has encountered some serious medical issues that started with an unexpected brain aneurysm and then proceeded to get much worse. Getuhgrip has been in a coma for about a month, but has very recently emerged and, I'm told, appears to be increasingly responsive. He is still on a breathing tube and so he can't speak, but he is otherwise slowly gaining ground. He is now alert enough to recognize and appreciate simple cards from friends. If anyone is inclined to help out by sending him a note, pm me and I will share an address with you.

I would appreciate if if the address does not appear here and is handled carefully. For the present, the best note might be something along the lines of "Glad to hear you're getting better" and leave it at that. Using a HR name might also help him with recognition as a few of us go back to the beginning, and so there's a history.

Cheri has been carrying one hell of a load for the last month; Rick has been in critical condition since prior to the operation to repair the aneurysm. Let's hope the days and weeks ahead will bring steady improvement for them both.

Glenn

Last edited:
I don't know Getuhgrip Rick but thank you for posting this update. I'm glad to hear he's heading in the right direction.

I guess this is probably the most public place to keep the thread, yeah?
Maybe change the title to have his username visible at the start?

I'd appreciate an address, Treeline - Rick is one of the few people I have on my friends list here.

Don't know him but have seen him around the forum over the years. Shitty deal to be dealt and hope the guy gets better a.s.a.p.

:thumbs up:

I'd appreciate an address, Treeline - Rick is one of the few people I have on my friends list here.

Likewise Treeline. As I said in the other thread, Getuhrip is as close as I ever got to meet an HR person IRL... happy to send him best wishes from Australia..

If I am not mistaken, he lives in Louisville. If this is true, I can hand deliver him a card or what not as I go down to Louisville a lot. Just PM me and let me know if I can help out.

OK, address went out to you guys. I'll try to keep track so I don't send it out multiple times to the same folks.

An update from Cheri

Cheri posted this on facebook and I'm sharing it here. Basically good news for a guy in deep trouble.

12/8/2015 Tuesday update. I took the day off from work so I could meet with Rick's doctor and get the paperwork taken care of for the hospital. They removed the fecal management system last night so now his muscles in that area won't stop working. They got labs and chest x-ray results and are starting to remove the ventilator for 2 hours a day. He had a speech therapist see him today and she asked him questions that he responded with either a nod or head shake. He answered them correctly so that is a good sign. She tried to get him to say "Hi" while having a plug on the trach. He wasn't really doing it for her and I told him a couple times to try. In my pushy voice of course. I looked down and his left hand had all fingers and thumb folded in except the middle finger which was straight out. I think he gave me the finger. I called him a jerk (inside joke) and he opened his eyes wide, raised his eyebrows and opened his mouth. He knows what is going on and is responsive. He was able to make a small sound before the therapist left. It will take time to be able to use his vocal chords again. Like all muscles, if you don't use them, they weaken. I know we have so far to go but I feel more positive today than the last few days. They will be starting physical therapy, occupational therapy and the speech therapy 5 days a week. Continue praying please. This is God working in all his glory. Thanks so much. Enjoy your evening and all those you love.

Last edited:
Another Update

from Cheri Delong

12/9 and 12/10 Update. I just couldn't make myself post yesterday but Rick is still making small advances. He has gone for 2 and 3 hour intervals off the ventilator. The respiratory therapist said he is going to talk to Dr. Baker and see if he will approve a longer period of time. When I was there today he had been off for over 2 hours and his oxygen level was good and he was not labored in his breathing. He got upset with me because I was pushing him to do more. I know exactly what was going through his head. "Trade places and let's see how much you can do!". I just get scared that he won't fight hard enough. Brenda Nalley and her husband Joe went to see him today and they had a good visit. Rick was actually chuckling inside. Joe asked him if he was laughing at him and Rick nodded his head. Curtis went to see him after work yesterday and the nurse said they sounded like they were having a good visit. I am so thankful for everyone that goes to see him. He needs that so much. He is very awake and aware of everything. That is one worry less. Face it, they have been in his head 3 times in less than 30 days. I thank God that there is no serious damage. He will fight this and he will come home. I just need people to remind me not to push him too hard and to have patience. He has a long way to go and it will take a long time. Thanks again for all the prayers and support.

Let Rick know we're thinking of him

Here is today's update from Cheri.

Dec 11 Friday At the hospital with Rick. He is back at Norton Brownsboro. He was bleeding around the trach tube. Kindred Hospital Louisville called about 11 last night saying they were setting up transfer and transport. Mom, Brenda Nalley and Pamela Cunningham met me here. Actually Brenda Nalley met me at the house and rode up with me. Thanks so much all of you. He had a tear near the thyroid and they cauterized it. It is still oozing a little blood but last night he was drenched in blood. They had to give him blood due to the loss. At one point they were trying to wake him up and they were yelling for him to wake up and I heard one of the nurses say "does he even have a pulse?". Okay, that was when I nearly lost it. He is resting now and I plan to stay for a few hours so I feel confident he is okay.

Rick is in good hands, but as you can see he is on a pretty rough path. Any good vibes prayers, cards, visits will help. There is so much we cannot do for him - let's at least let him know he's not alone. I'd love to see HR's wise cracking, cynical, profane, big grinning drummer at it again.

Thanks for the updates Glenn

prayers and good vibes heading out to the Rick n company
Out of country right now but will be sending a letter off when I get back Monday

Another Status Update from Cheri.

Cheri Delong
Just now ·

12 Noon On my way back to the hospital. Rick needs another blood transfusion and I need to talk to them and find out what is causing this. Urine output has been low and I am now concerned that his kidneys may start to fail. Prayers needed again......

Tree - is this all fallout from the aneurysm? It's all sounding a bit dire, I'd have to say. Poor Rick.
Yeah. As I understand it he had a stroke, either as they were fixing the aneurysm or shortly thereafter. There may have been a second stroke while he was being transported, but even if not, it's still pretty rough. They're weaning him from the ventilator and I understand there's been some bleeding issues with that. He's probably on heavy blood thinners and that comes with the territory.

So - anyone reading this who doesn't have Rick's mailing address, message me and I'll get it to you. Send simple cards - "Hey- Thinking about you" kind of stuff. I think the more of that the better. Nothing complicated - just a bunch of hellos. It's the one thing we can do, so let's be about doing it.

Back