Getuhgrip Update - HR Long Time member and his family could use his HR friends right

December 29 Update

Cheri Delong

12/29/2015 Update. Today makes 8 weeks since Rick's surgery. He has been off the ventilator for about 60 hours straight with no distress. If he goes until sometime tomorrow and his oxygen/gas levels are good we will get rid of that machine. I am praying so hard for this to happen. I think it will lift his spirits when he can do his own breathing and know that he has made progress.

Fingers crossed .......it'd be a great way to start the new year without the damn ventilator.

Prayers, good thoughts, good vibes and a ton of instant Karma coming the Delong family way!

Cheeseburgers!

60 hours? I don't want to say the word "malingering" but I just did.... :laughings:

C'mon Rick, time to get yo' ass out of stir.:thumbs up:

Jan 02 Update; Rick is feeling well enough to start getting ornery

Cheri Delong

01/02/2016 Update. My sister Brenda and I went to see Rick this morning. There was some fresh blood around the trach area so I went out to the desk. His nurse had the respiratory therapist check it and she cleaned it good. Then she explained that it would bleed for a few days because they had switched his trach. He now has a Jackson trach and this is a progressive move. He was very alert and didn't seem to want us to leave. We stayed for awhile and then went to meet up with family. . . . After we left there Brenda and I went back up to see Rick. I showed him a shirt that Ksena sent to him. It was the Simpsons and he loved it. He had me show it to him twice. . . . While we were there I was clipping Rick's nails and Brenda was using an emery board to smooth out rough spots. He decided we had done as much as he wanted and said "NO". He said it loud enough that we both heard it. That is the first time I have heard him say anything in over 8 weeks. Was I elated????? That is an understatement. That tells me he will not have to have too much therapy before he can start talking again. So, it was a good day. Thanks as always for all the prayers. Thanks for special friends that take the time to visit with him when they can. . . . . We are fighting this and we will win. Rick will come home.....something I wasn't sure of a few times in the past 2 months.

Jan 4 update

Cheri Delong

01/04/2016 Update. I went in this morning and Rick wouldn't even stay awake. He is sleeping too much. I talked to the speech therapist and she said he won't even work with her. He either rolls his eyes or waves her away. Also talked with physical and occupational therapy. He has PT thinking he can't follow commands. That way they say he doesn't meet the criteria for PT and they leave him alone. He is not working with any of them and he can't come home without the therapy. They are discussing discharge and if he won't cooperate what does that leave? I will NOT have him lay in a nursing home. But he has to fight this....no one can do it for him. I really need prayers for him to not give up and start working at being able to get out of that bed. I am between feeling angry and feeling defeated. I am going to meet in his room tomorrow morning with the PT person. Hopefully, he will try to work with them. Just keep praying please.

Jan 5th 5:30 PM

Apparently Rick is headed back to the hospital; the lethargy is not a good sign and something may be amiss per his CT scan. Cheri is frantic. Keep yer fingers crossed.

This morning's update

Cheri Delong

On my way to work now. Rick is sleeping. The CT scan showed the shunt is working properly. They are doing a contrast scan this morning. Looks like he is bleeding on/in his brain. The contrast scan will show more detail. Keep the prayers going...

Jan 6th - Things settling down

Cheri Delong

01/06/2016 Update 12:30 PM At the hospital and Rick is snoozing . He did open his eyes when I said his name . They adjusted the setting on the shunt hoping that will stop the bleed . The EEG showed no seizure activity. So I can am hoping the adjustment does the job . Will update more later .

A little good news

Maybe its time to send him a set of drum sticks. His hands work well enough for him to flip off the bird - that takes some small motor coordination.

Cheri Delong

1/9/2016 Update. While I was in with Rick today I thought I saw his left foot move. I asked him if he moved it and he nodded. So I pulled the sheet back and asked him to move it again....He did. I immediately went out and told his nurse. Of course his nurse, Mike, said he would get it in Rick's chart because that was one of the things we were waiting for. For him to move it on command. I hope this means he has not lost any motor skills from this brain bleed. It just ticks me off that each crisis sets him further behind on recovery. Thanks again to everyone that is praying for him. I know it is going to take a long time and he may never be 100% again but we are working the hardest we can.

Update

Cheri Delong

1/14/2016 Rick is back at Kindred. Room 402 if anyone wants to go see him. They got him on the air bed today so hopefully we won't have any skin issues going forward. His chart says to re-position him every 2 hours. As long as they do that I think we will be okay skin wise. I think he is getting a little upset with me for constantly having the nurses and aides doing things when I come in. I am going to try to calm down and only say something if I see a real problem. I am just so on edge over every little thing right now because there have been so many issues. I am going to have speech therapy call me tomorrow and see what the plan is. If he could talk it would help so much. I may not want to hear what he has to say but I'll deal with that when it happens. I think they plan to do another CT scan in about a week and then I want to talk to his neurosurgeon. I need to know what I can and can't expect in the long term. I am having one of those days when I am more scared than anything else. Thanks everyone...please keep praying. God works miracles and I think we need one.

Cheri Delong

11/18/2016 Tomorrow will be 11 weeks since Rick's surgery. I talked to the case manager and the floor manager today about getting Rick moved to a quiet room. It may not be a private room but he can not continue to have a TV blasting all day. He needs rest, not loud noise. I am going to call the lady over therapy tomorrow and see what the plan is for that. I need feedback. I have to know what the plan is. This is imperative. I go to bed thinking of it and wake up with it still working in my head.

Better news

Cheri Delong

01/19/2016 Today actually had some upsides to it. I got a call from the floor manager that they have a private room that will open up and Rick is going into it. That is especially good because I am told that he definitely needs quiet and the TV has been blaring for days in the room he us in. Also, I talked with the respiratory therapist and he said he will have the day shift talk to the doc about Rick's trach. . . If he can breath freely and have no issues it could possibly be removed in the next week or so. Say your prayers please. . . .

I still would like people to go visit him. He is now in room 410 at Kindred Hospital Louisville at 1313 St Anthony Place.

Back