In a funk

One of the things that helped, ironically, was miro's 'puckered asses' comment.

It made me chuckle

Laughter is great medicine.
Why don't you spin up some funny movies when you're just sitting there in a funk...and take you mind off that "Bittersweet Symphony" shit.

Also...spring is here....almost.
Maybe that's part of your funk. Some people don't handle winter well at all....the shorter daylight hours and all that.
Open the windows...let some sunlight come in...or even just turn up the lights...get rid of any dark-n-dreary environment.

I was never affected by the the winter blues...but seems like many are.

Yeah, I'm definitely one who's affected by sunlight. Even got one of those special lights.

And I know what everyone's saying about the nature thing, that really helps me a lot, but it's like I always say about vacations, you're just temporarily running away from your problems. They're still there when you get back, and usually bigger and worse.

Spring, even though it makes me feel better physically, is part of the problem in that now, there's a thousand things that need to be done with the house, and that need done immediately, but no money to do it. Really, about 75% of what's got me down could be cured with a winning lottery ticket. I don't want to be rich, I just want to be out of the pile of shit I'm in.

This Sunday is the start of daylight savings time, or the end of it. I can't keep track. Either way, we "spring forward" and lose an hour. :rolleyes:

Man, this thread is getting more and morer depressering.

And they're calling for possible snow. Snow! :mad:

Yeah, the DST will actually help me. As I have more daylight to do things, it works out better for me. I can't get up in the mornings. I'm like a train, it takes a long time to get rolling, but once I do, it takes a long time to slow down. I'll probably end up like Elvis.

Wait, I like snow! Make up a pot of warm vittles, drink some beers, take the dogs out and watch them play, swoop up the wife for a warm roll in the hay. Feed and watch the little birdies. Buttercups poking up through a fresh blanket of snow, beautiful.

Life isn't perfect, but it's pretty damn good. Pretty damn good.

Hold....hold on a damn second here. How the hell did I find myself on the outside(again)?

I wasn't intimating anything about you, NotCardio. Not at all. Whatever gets you through, brother. I'll offer any support possible.

I was just suggesting that we stick to the point, and not argue. I talk in, hm, riddles(?) sometimes so as not to directly offend any particular individual. The result, I offend everyone. That's okay with me if it's okay with you. I'll be the bad guy. It's the point that matters. The point.

I think EZWilly was probably pretty close to what I would believe to be as helpful when in a funk. As i've stated/admitted just recently, i'm not a very good Christian. But the closest to God I have ever felt was in the wilderness, whether literally or figuratively. Go for a nice long walk in the woods. Go fishing. Work in the garden.

Plant a seed. Good things might come of it.

Sorry. I was actually trying to deflect the attention a little bit (don't know if I'm wording this right). No dis intended. I got your point.

Need to open up the SAS subforum again me thinks.

Not for me, but it may have helped others. I don't know. For all practical purposes I don't drink. I mean I do, but we're talking a couple of drinks every few months. And I haven't smoked anything in about 30 years (I do still miss it though). Diet Coke and coffee are my drugs now.

Yeah, the DST will actually help me. As I have more daylight to do things, it works out better for me. I can't get up in the mornings. I'm like a train, it takes a long time to get rolling, but once I do, it takes a long time to slow down. I'll probably end up like Elvis.

Early to bed and early to rise, brother. Not that I always follow, but I can speak from experience that being a night owl and waking up late isn't a good recipe for a positive outlook on things.

Wake up late.....damn, I have so much to do. but the day is half gone. there is no use in starting now. tomorrow, tomorrow i'll start on that project. why do I always do that? :(

Night owl....night time is good for thinking, but it's not always good for good thinking. Sometimes it's best to put down the weight of the day before it gets too heavy.

Break the cycle of I can't get to sleep if I turn-in early. Get up at a moderate time, get busy on a full and busy day of accomplishing something that has been on the list. Hit the sack moderately early. Accomplishment + near exhaustion = a good night's sleep. Wake up just a little bit earlier and a bit more positive about things the next day. Rinse and repeat.

I get what you're saying, Mick, but studies have shown that some people just aren't wired that way, and I'm one of them. I've been this way ever since I was a little kid. My dad used to say it was a miracle I didn't drown in my oatmeal.

...about 75% of what's got me down could be cured with a winning lottery ticket. I don't want to be rich, I just want to be out of the pile of shit I'm in.

I hate to say it...but probably 75% of the population has the same feeling. I know someone who has at least 10 mil in personal assets...and still buy lottery tickets, hoping for the big win...because when you have 10 mil, you usually live and spend like you have 10 mil. I mean, it's funny to hear someone who has that kind of money, talking about money issues. :D

I get it though...financial burdens are certainly a drag on your attitude. There's not a lot of quick solutions (besides the lottery)...so usually you just have to solve them one by one, and as you get past each one, the rest seem less and less of a burden.
Some sort of second income...?....a short term bank loan...?...ask Aunt Sally....?
Anything after that probably has a certain "legal" risk. :)

I get what you're saying, Mick, but studies have shown that some people just aren't wired that way, and I'm one of them. I've been this way ever since I was a little kid. My dad used to say it was a miracle I didn't drown in my oatmeal.

You've been tested for sleep apnea? I know someone who suffered for years without realizing it was poor sleep, not depression.

Wake up late.....damn, I have so much to do. but the day is half gone. there is no use in starting now. tomorrow, tomorrow i'll start on that project. why do I always do that? :(.

Naaa...you just do it later that night.
Nothnig wrong with being a night owl...as long as you can adjust your life to fit it. I mean...there's nothing special about 5:00AM...unless you're a farmer. :D

What sucks is when your life has to follow some hard coded schedule that is way different from yours.

I'm a total night owl...I will stay up until dawn given the opportunity...and then I'll sleep my 8 hours, and go from there the rest of the day and night. If I can adjust things I need to do for when I want to do them...it's all good...but when I have to get up at 5:00AM to be at my day gig because the schedule it revolves around...then I have to suck it up and do that, 3-4 days a week.
Yeah, ideally, I would prefer to be on one set schedule...which in my case would NEVER involve 5:00AM or even 8:00 or 9:00AM.
10:00AM is for me "early morning" if I let my body have its way.
I look forward to retirement so I can throw away all my clocks.... :)

Catch up on netflix?

Man, I still have netflix, but I don't know why. I rarely pull it up. When I do there is nothing I really care to watch. Even the "new releases" consist in large of the same shit they've had up there for many months. I'm not a big series guy. Breaking Bad was thoroughly awesome. Although I saw some of it on reg TV, especially the final season, I watched obsessively the entire series on netflix once available. However, other series, I just don't take to it. I tried Westworld, 24,....neither made me enthusiastic to the point of giving much of a shit what happened next. Would I like something like Game of Thrones? Yeah, when 10 years old. I've watched, um, Mozart in the Jungle(?), with the wife. She likes it, so I like that she likes something because she's not a big TV person, and I feel we're getting our money's worth if she gets enjoyment out of the cost of paying for amazon and netflix each month.

Anyway, now i'm just rambling. What do you watch/suggest on netlfix?

I don't really have much to contribute, other than that "Everybody either gets busy living, or gets busy dying."

Also +1 for physical activity...if you're capable of it and it's safe to do so, getting into a workout routine really helps self-confidence and discipline. I <3 it.

miro, sounds like your body clock is like mine. A lot of my life I worked later shifts because I couldn't adapt well enough to 'regular' ones.

Netfix is wonderful. I haven't had a normal TV/ cable setup for over a decade.
Because of this everything is new to me.

Take the Sopranos for instance. Old show. But I never saw it all. Some people's lives and schedule revolve around a certain routine leaving evenings open for TV.

Like good little zombie sheep they gather around the TV at the mandated time and faithfully watch (Insert favorite show).

I can watch what I want, when I want and organize my TV schedule around MY life.

Because I've never been addicted to TV, half of everything is a brand new series, even if it's 5 to ten years old.

Also with no contract, I subscribe and cancel after a while at will.
Sometimes for 6 months, I won't watch a damn thing.

I know there are plenty of streaming services nowadays, but the "flix" is great for me

There! My netfix testimonial. Lol

:D

Nothnig wrong with being a night owl...as long as you can adjust your life to fit it.

Well, yes and no. It's kind of like getting high at work. Sure, you can do it. You can adjust your day such that your ducks are all in a row, tools/materials accounted for, no real problems left unresolved, limited communication which would require a clear head. Besides, "I can really concentrate when i'm high". Yeah, something breaks, malfunctions, "got lost", you can't find something you really require to do your job. Then in walks someone with a shitload of questions, or there is a phone call...and it's the fucking IRS! :eek: Talk about a buzzkill that'll pucker your asshole. Nah, you can get high at work, but it's not a good idea. You just might find yourself having to make more adjustments than that which you were mistakenly prepared. Life often requires unanticipated adjustment.

I don't have to worry about that, I don't get high anymore, at all. But I do know when those who are working for me are getting high. They are functioning at limited capacity, as are those who lack sufficient rest. I don't necessarily forbid either, I merely inspire regret.

People often mistake "luck" for actually being prepared and available to take advantage of opportunity. Ergo, early bird gets the worm, and all that rot.

Some of that might be somewhat of an exaggeration. However, now let's get real. If one has "many projects that need to get done", rolling out of bed at noon every day is probably not the best game plan.

Sorry if I come off as being preachy. What the hell do I know.

Back