In a funk

Wow. Probably the most insensitive, selfish thing I've heard yet. Let me rip off one of your arms, and then when you cry like a baby, I'll say "knock it off, don't you know it'd hurt worse if I ripped them both off?" Don't invalidate the feelings of another person. You aren't them.

OK, Dr. Phil... :laughings:

WTF are you talking about..."arms getting ripped off"...??? :facepalm: :rolleyes:

He's talking about being in a "funk"...he admits he's just drowning in self-pity...he admits his own wife is also telling him to stop feeling sorry for himself. I don't recall him mentioning any of his arms being ripped off...or that his house was destroyed by an asteroid...or that his dog died.

I did say he needed to provide some details about what's really bothering him...otherwise, just felling sorry that your life isn't better than what it is...then yeah...look at everyone who's life is 10 times worse than yours.

I know "tough love" is lost on much of our the politically correct, pansy-assed society these days ...the people who need a group-hug when the guy at Starbucks messes up their coffee...but you know, people need to stop bitching and just deal with life.
It's usually not anywhere nearly as bad as people make it out to be...it's just easier to get bummed out than deal with it.

How's that for sensitivity? :)

So while I don't like Miroslav's somewhat insensitive and/or straight forward manner, it needs to be taken in context of what is being discussed. It wasn't out of bounds, it just stinks of the kind of person they are. There's no need to respond in kind (don't sink to their level). Besides, Miro has feelings too. Even if they're completely detached from them when typing. :guitar:

Are you still upset about what I said to you when had issues with that bass guitar...? :D
I mean...you kinda did whine and whine about it for days... ;)

Boy...the woe is me melodrama around here is thick as pancake syrup.

Are you still upset about what I said to you when had issues with that bass guitar...? :D
I mean...you kinda did whine and whine about it for days... ;)

Boy...the woe is me melodrama around here is thick as pancake syrup.

I don't know what you're referencing, but this reply is an example of that wonderful Miro way.

OK, never mind...I guess it was so long ago, you forgot. ;)

And yeah, when it comes to your posts and forum "sensitivity"...you're a real prince.

I can't believe people's asses can get puckered up so tight over the smallest things...
...and here to boot, in Prime (or should I say Cave PG13). :p

See. See, this is why we can't have nice things.

Telling someone who is "in a funk" to suck it up and be a man is probably not the best angle to take. Is best to offer counsel that leads the person to that conclusion, if applicable. Attempting to shine a positive light to someone starving in China by pointing out that there are people in Africa who are literally eating shit filled intestines which are cooked directly on top of raw coals to add a contrasting crunchy texture.....would I rather have a shit sandwich? I don't know, i'm probably going to go with no. So, a wasted effort. I might would rather not eat, shit, but i'd still starve.

My favorite Dr. Phil- "You can't skin a cat by looking up the wrong end of a weasel."

Truer words, Phillip, truer words.

Speaking of being a man: That comedian dude, Bill Burr(?), he joked that a man can't win an argument with a woman. Men have focus, they stick to the point. But not so with women. When right, they'll stick to the point, pummeling away...the point, the point, the point, relentless. When they're wrong, they throw everything at you, hitting all the hot buttons, shit from the past, truths, falsehoods, throwing shit at the wall in the hopes that something will stick.

He's a pretty funny guy. But that's not the point i'm attempting to illustrate. There is a lesson to be learned, fellas. Don't be a woman. Be a man.

Speaking of being a man: That comedian dude, Bill Burr(?), he joked that a man can't win an argument with a woman. Men have focus, they stick to the point. But not so with women. When right, they'll stick to the point, pummeling away...the point, the point, the point, relentless. When they're wrong, they throw everything at you, hitting all the hot buttons, shit from the past, truths, falsehoods, throwing shit at the wall in the hopes that something will stick.

He's a pretty funny guy. But that's not the point i'm attempting to illustrate. There is a lesson to be learned, fellas. Don't be a woman. Be a man.

I think you just called Miro a bitch. :p

Is best to offer counsel that leads the person to that conclusion.

Let me know when you guys sort that out here in Prime...the cradle of sensitive self-help counseling.... :p

...and then we'll move on to cancer research, world hunger problems and that mission to Mars.

I think you just called Miro a bitch. :p

Well, I'm thinking that he called ME a bitch, but I'm hoping not. I'm hoping he didn't call anyone that. And I said in my original statement that I knew I was going to get called that.

But Mick's right about the 'nice things' comment.

I think I've probably gotten good advice from both miro and Pinky before, so I find it disconcerting that they're going at each other. It's like, did you ever have two friends that you got along with well, but they couldn't stand each other? And no, I'm not suggesting we're real friends here, it was just an analogy. I'm all about analogies. I'm an analog kinda guy. Or maybe I'm just anal.

OK, I knew going into this that it probably wasn't a good idea. I've even said myself before that if you're looking for support, this isn't the place to get it. But I thought I'd take a shot.

But as to what Mick said about nice things: so a guy goes on here asking for a little 'cheering up', for lack of a better phrase, and even that has to turn into a pissing match.

It's what closed the cave. Every single thread about anything turns into a pissing match, usually having nothing to do with whatever the thread was about. (sigh)

As Dr Phil might say, "What part of 'don't be an asshole' don't you understand?"

However, I do thank everyone for their contributions to this thread.

One of the things that helped, ironically, was miro's 'puckered asses' comment.

It made me chuckle because it made me remember a SNL skit where George C. Scott was a dancer at a gay bar called The Puckered Starfish.

Hold....hold on a damn second here. How the hell did I find myself on the outside(again)?

I wasn't intimating anything about you, NotCardio. Not at all. Whatever gets you through, brother. I'll offer any support possible.

I was just suggesting that we stick to the point, and not argue. I talk in, hm, riddles(?) sometimes so as not to directly offend any particular individual. The result, I offend everyone. That's okay with me if it's okay with you. I'll be the bad guy. It's the point that matters. The point.

I think EZWilly was probably pretty close to what I would believe to be as helpful when in a funk. As i've stated/admitted just recently, i'm not a very good Christian. But the closest to God I have ever felt was in the wilderness, whether literally or figuratively. Go for a nice long walk in the woods. Go fishing. Work in the garden.

Plant a seed. Good things might come of it.

Activity is good for a funk. Being incredibly busy, as well as physical activity is good for keeping one out of their head.

Even something as simple as taking a walk and forcing yourself to look at things, I mean specific things, helps to keep you in the "real world" instead of your head.

Look at those flowers, look at that car, look at that tree, etc.
Im talking about a conscious effort to really look at the world around you instead of 'seeing' it on auto pilot.

I know it may sound stupid, but it gets one to focus outwards instead of focusing inward on our funk thoughts.

You can't 'think' your way out of a funk. That just pulls more funk in on you.

You gotta get busy, productive, and extroverted.

I think I've probably gotten good advice from both miro and Pinky before, so I find it disconcerting that they're going at each other.

The only difference is...I was responding to you, and I wasn't going after anyone for what they said.
Pinky and a couple of others chose to make it more about going at me and what I was saying...but then, that's nothing new. :)

Back