First 'real' snowfall of the year

mjbphotos

Was snowing 1" an hour most of the day yesterday. After last year's winter, no big deal.

1DSC07080.JPG

Got home, fired up the snowblower, took an hour to clear it all away. Busted one of the shear bolts as I was finishing up - snowplow had knocked down a wooden stake marker, and I plowed right into it. Got inside when done, empty pockets... where are my keys (truck, house, work, every key)? FVCK!! Somewhere in the snow. No sign of them today, so they probably got picked up and shot out into a pile somewhere. :facepalm:

Nice. Sorry about your keys, man :(
Got down to 41 here today...salt is really good for wounds, you know! :laughings:

Shear pins are a pain when they go but pretty easy to replace (did they give you extra - mine came with 2 spares)
I offered to snow blow my neighbor's while he was away and hit one of those sidewalk bricks hidden under the snow that he had left there.
Quite a bang, then nothing picked up on one side of the bucket.
I used to be the only one with a snowblower on my cul de sac, now almost everybody has one.

Yeah, the blower came with 2 pins, pretty easy to do once I figured out that I had slide the auger around a bit to match up the holes. Fair amount of melting today, but no sign of the keys before it got dark.

About 25 years ago I bought a pretty rugged (and obscenely expensive) John Deere garden tractor, a mower, and a 38" snowblower attachment for the front. The tractor is still going strong on its second motor (I named it Lazarus). I'm also on the second snowblower.

The first one calved big time on its maiden voyage. I was clearing my gravel driveway, which exhales river stone, and it ate a good sized rock. The shear pins did NOT break. Instead, every structural piece got twisted, from the front pulley mounts, to the angle iron frame itself, to the rear pulley mounts. It also managed to snap the drive belt - a nearly impossible feat. I took it back to the dealer who worked mightily to repair it (to their credit, I paid only for parts) and got it running again. But after that it was a boneshaker and basically became a highly violent device. I used it for another twenty years and finally replaced it with a new unit which has been trouble free. The shear pins on this unit break on a fairly regular basis, for which I am grateful.

A metal detector was suggested by a few people, but I don't know anyone who has one!
But today it warmed to the mid-40s, lots of sun and melting, and there my keys were - right beside the sidewalk where I had refueled the blower!

Don't have to worry about snow around here at the moment (or ever really). LINK

Remember the temps are in deg C not deg F LOL 40C = 104F & 42C = 107.6F come on winter.

Alan

Another 8" of light powder yesterday. The cold weather is coming soon - highs on the weekend around 17F, lows below 0F.

Back