drone killer!

I like it. I read that this morning. I'd take out a drone flying in my backyard too. Especially if it's peeping around.

Nice to hear/read after listening to a radio show about the future of drones and robotic mechanized weapons.

It just sounds like a massive overreaction to me.

Someone is out playing with their quad copter and it's pisses him off so he shoots it down. He could have asked them to stop first!

I don't know much about the area but it does seem kinda dangerous to start shooting in a residential area. And answering the door to the guys while armed seems like a threatening thing to do.

It just sounds like a massive overreaction to me.

Someone is out playing with their quad copter and it's pisses him off so he shoots it down. He could have asked them to stop first!

I don't know much about the area but it does seem kinda dangerous to start shooting in a residential area. And answering the door to the guys while armed seems like a threatening thing to do.

It is no doubt a douchebag move by this guy. There are guntards out there that will look for any excuse to exercise their "rights" as gun toting property owners. They can't wait for that shit.

But finding a drone pilot isn't exactly easy, and if they're hovering drones around people's backyards, like this guy claims, then that's poor form. There's no shortage of wide open spaces here to fly a stupid drone that won't invade anyone's property. I'd have a problem with a drone snooping around my backyard. I don't know if I'd shoot it down, but I'd try something.

It does seem like the guy just really wanted to fire his gun. That being said, I'd be pissed off if a drone was actually snooping at me... although it's more likely that I just flew over his garden.

It does seem like the guy just really wanted to fire his gun. That being said, I'd be pissed off if a drone was actually snooping at me... although it's more likely that I just flew over his garden.

Well the story I read says the drone was flying in his neighbors backyard and went in under a patio awning. That's a deliberate maneuver. And supposedly the shooter's daughters were sunbathing in their backyard when the drone came over to his yard and hovered over them. Having my own private fenced in yard, and my own daughters, I'd be pretty fucking pissed at something like that.

He was "defending his property"? From what?

When dealing with drones, there are three issues to be considered:

1 whether civil aviation regulations have been complied with. These will specify minimum and maximum heights in built-up areas and so on.
2 whether trespass occurred. A drone flying over your property doesn't automatically mean its trespassing. If it did, no planes would be able to fly over it (or satellites for that matter). Your property doesn't extend to infinity upwards.
3 whether privacy laws have been breached. You have no privacy protection from someone filming your property (and who or what is on it) from outside your property (whether on land or in the air), unless there is a reasonable expectation of privacy (e.g. someone filming through a bedroom window).

My cousin bought me a little baby drive for Christmas. It ended up being too hard to master but I got it up and flying a couple of times in the local park. I was surprised that even this cheapest tiny drone had a camera.

Deliberately hover it over someone's property? Creepy. You deserve to have it shot down. If they didn't all have cameras it would be different.

He was "defending his property"? From what?

When dealing with drones, there are three issues to be considered:

1 whether civil aviation regulations have been complied with. These will specify minimum and maximum heights in built-up areas and so on.
2 whether trespass occurred. A drone flying over your property doesn't automatically mean its trespassing. If it did, no planes would be able to fly over it (or satellites for that matter). Your property doesn't extend to infinity upwards.
3 whether privacy laws have been breached. You have no privacy protection from someone filming your property (and who or what is on it) from outside your property (whether on land or in the air), unless there is a reasonable expectation of privacy (e.g. someone filming through a bedroom window).

Some relevant issues explored here: Civilian Drones, Privacy, and the Federal-State Balance | Brookings Institution

Back