Do you people ever...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pretty much never stop thinking about this sort of thing, but I have never attempted to study formal writing on the subject such as what you have linked here.

The seemingly unlikely state of our very existence and our acute awareness of whatever we are is frightening and humbling to say the least.

The best thing to do is to make ritualistic noises using multiple devices and then combine them in pleasing ways. Weird.

PS - We are also really small.

Life in the universe is probably pretty common. Intelligent life (to the degree where it could feasibly contact civilisations outside its own world) I feel is exceedingly rare and unlikely to last very long. Life on Earth took almost four billion years of evolution to develop intelligent life. It may never have done, because intelligence is not a target that "evolution" is aiming at. Intelligence is not a common or generally useful survival strategy in organisms. You can get along far better being stupid and reproducing fast. :D This, compounded with the stupendous interstellar distances involved, makes it of no surprise to me that no extraterrestrial civilisations have made contact.

Life in the universe is probably pretty common. Intelligent life (to the degree where it could feasibly contact civilisations outside its own world) I feel is exceedingly rare and unlikely to last very long. Life on Earth took almost four billion years of evolution to develop intelligent life. It may never have done, because intelligence is not a target that "evolution" is aiming at. Intelligence is not a common or generally useful survival strategy in organisms. You can get along far better being stupid and reproducing fast. :D This, compounded with the stupendous interstellar distances involved, makes it of no surprise to me that no extraterrestrial civilisations have made contact.

Wait!

Are you saying Seven of Nine isn't real? :eek:

Cheers! :)

I pretty much never stop thinking about this sort of thing, but I have never attempted to study formal writing on the subject such as what you have linked here.

The seemingly unlikely state of our very existence and our acute awareness of whatever we are is frightening and humbling to say the least.

The best thing to do is to make ritualistic noises using multiple devices and then combine them in pleasing ways. Weird.

PS - We are also really small.
Yee-ep.
All the friken "happy accidents" that happened to allow us and our little bubble of 'comfy'
:guitar:
Bubba po.. said:
This, compounded with the stupendous interstellar distances involved, makes it of no surprise to me that no extraterrestrial civilizations have made contact.
Exactly. On one hand you have all the shit that has to go right just for something like us to happen..
On the other, how arrogant to think we're 'It'- the 'only ones'. :rolleyes:

But probably yeah that's the pisser. It don't much matter.
The distances are so huge.. We (or 'They) come and go before our feeble little 'broadcasts' even reach those other shores.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1504/VirgoCentral_Subaru_8000.jpg
Good medicine. :)
Reminds me to leep it a bit humble..

What is 'intelligence'? Who says your (or anyone's) definition is correct? Are dolphins 'intelligent'?

maybe we're all just 'Sims' in some giant computer simulation.

What is 'intelligence'? Who says your (or anyone's) definition is correct? Are dolphins 'intelligent'?

maybe we're all just 'Sims' in some giant computer simulation.

I can't define intelligence, but I'm pretty sure the "we're all a small part of a larger game" philosophy is not intelligence.

At the basic level, intelligence is a sense of being, self awareness. Like looking into a mirror and realizing you are you. Anything beyond that, it gets kind of grey.

So, my question is: What started the universe and where did the energy (and mass) come from?
Has it always existed, or did it create itself?
Evolution is one of the most believed religions in the world.
In the beginning the universe created the universe. In seven trillion years created it it.
It's laughable that creationism is deemed "religion" and evolution is considered "science". They say the same things...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back