Do You Listen to Your Own Music?

Do you listen to your own music?

• You kiddin'? One more listen might make me puke.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nah, I've got better things to.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes, when I'm tired of everybody else.

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Dude, my music is the only REAL music out there!

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Chris K

When you finally finish a CD, single, music video, etc. do you enjoy sitting around listening to your masterpiece, or are you just about ready to flush your eardrums down the toilet if you hear that song play one more time?

I rarely listen to my own stuff. I get obsessive when i'm recording mixing and hear the songs alot. I don't like the sound of my voice which also contributes. When my songs pop up on the mp3 player in the car i skip them. I also live with another musician who listens to himself constantly which kind of annoys me so i don't want to be that guy. Though occasionally when i have the place to myself, i'll play a few songs of my own to revel in my meager accomplishments.

I try to NOT listen to our very annoying piano music - its music for people to use for very high level music exams, and was written by composers you've never heard of, who wrote it when in a VERY bad angry mood. Every time you think you have it perfect, you hear a mistake - every single time. We now do a separate joint final review. If we both press play and stare at the music, and do not hear a mistake. That is it. We publish it and don't listen again, because if we do, we might spot the Ab hemi-demi-semi quaver in bar 324 that should be an A.

My whole life is based around DIY. I enjoy everything I've made. (Provided it was good.) Why wouldn't I enjoy music I've made?
So yes, I like listening to my own tunes. Most but not all.
:D

Maybe............a few months after finishing them. By the time I've finished one I'm usually sick of hearing it over and over. And later.........if I pop one on.........I'm usually hearing something in the production or performance that I wish I had done better.

All I hear when I listen to my music are all the things wrong with it (and my annoying vocals). So, no, I don’t usually listen to my own stuff after mixing/mastering it.

Although, anecdotallly, I was at a friend’s backyard bbq last year. He was playing some mix tape thingy over his system. Mostly classic rock. Suddenly a song came on that sounded quite familiar, but I couldn’t immediately place it. And damn if it didn’t sound half bad. :eek:

By now you’ve guessed it was one of my band’s. Took me 10 seconds or so to recognize it, and surprisingly it held it’s own - even sandwiched between professional recordings.

I’ve since chalked that experience up to the multiple beers consumed beforehand. :D

sometimes

i hear inconsistency and rough drafts. ..rarely a recording thats got something showing improvement.

Well I absolutely love playing n singing both tunes I write and a ton of covers these days and when I do I'm listening...so yeah all the time......but my recordings sometimes...mostly when I'm showing someone one of the tunes I've recorded...But every now and then I do get a kick out of listening to my REALLY old stuff when I was young and my heart was an open book playing in a prog rock band...we jammed...

YouTube

Hell yeah! I love my stuff, real drums, no guitar presets (micing amplifiers, what a concept) The poll is a joke, where's the option to like your material but not say something ridiculous like my music is the best there is.. blah blah

So, Yes, I do. What's the fucking point if I can't enjoy it? What's the alternative? Why bother if you can't enjoy your own stuff.

Last edited:
For some years now I've been writing and performing as a solo singer-songwriter with acoustic guitar. However in a band situation,
I'm the bass player. I also do very basic lead guitar, drums and keys.

So when I get a CD together, it's just one acoustic and one vocal. I'm not done though. In my head, I'm still continuing to write
those drums, bass and lead parts, and constantly listen to my music as I write and audition additional parts. Sometimes it does get
to me and I set it aside for a week or two. But then it's back on.

I usually switch up to a CD compilation of studio songs from several previous bands. I listen to those quite a bit.

Back