Divorce and getting back to music again

I haven't written much about this since it happened, but I found myself in the divorce boat :facepalm:

And i'm pretty bummed out about it. This is a woman I've been with for 10 years and had 2 kids with (more on that in a sec) during our marriage. we did everything right; married, bought the house, had the kids... it all seemed right. Granted, we both have our issues (doesn't everyone?). She suffers from depression pretty heavily from time to time and I deal with anxiety, and got severely demotivated when we bought our house. Probably just a combination of overwhelming and unsure, not knowing what the future would bring at that point, and I was scared to have kids because I felt I was getting too old, and would kids mess up our relationship...etc. It was a handful in my head for sure. Not to mention, my mom had been sick with cancer that we found out about 2 months after meeting, and it was a struggle for 8 years on until she passed away.

I know people change, and I've certainly changed a bit as I've gotten older, but I also know I ran my life more consistently than my wife did; I was at my same job that I'm still at to this day, 3 years already when we first met. I have had ups and downs in my job as well, and hated it from time to time, but never felt that quitting and starting over somewhere else would be a good idea, especially with no 4-year degree (not that it matters much anymore). The job and my employers have been good to me over the years. My wife had a bit more flexibility; she was a few years younger than me and so she jumped around a bit until she found what she liked. I never minded that. I knew she was trying to find her ideal career, and she had a 4 year degree.

But once we had our daughter 5 years ago, i know things changed. She will claim they changed well before that, but not for me. No, I saw the change after the baby. And for both of us too. She definitely had a different agenda, and I was struggling with not being able to make music in the new home studio i built. Everyone says, when you have kids, you'll put your hobbies on hold. But it stressed me out to feel as if I was unable to use my space. And I was also working a second job at night to supplement things at home. At this point, my wife was working, but she then decided to quit and stay home to be with our daughter. That worked for a while, but she was always stressed out about it; constant texts at work about what sue was doing, how she was acting... and I know that we are/were texters... but still. It was hard for me because I couldn't do anything about it. And I'm not good at just going "man, that sucks, I'm sorry". I always feel as if I need to give a lecture, or advice.

Around the time my mom passed away, my wife decided to get into an MLM job selling products. It ended up working so well and she was so good at it, that within 6 months she had me leave my job and come home to work with her. I had no problem doing this at that point; we were pregnant with another baby 4 years later and I was actually excited this time around. I left my job, I got a huge going away party as if I was retiring. I came home, started working with her, but it was rough. It was boring in the beginning, she never made time for us (ie: always on/in her phone), and once the baby was born I basically became a full-time stay at home dad. I was fine with this other than the fact it made me super lazy. I gained a lot of weight, I was sad that my wife really could care less about my existence... she traveled a lot for this job and so I would be home with the kids for a full week at a time, which again, wasn't a problem.. I just missed my wife.

A few months ago, mid-summer, she called me from the car and said the MLM business was starting to decline, and that I might want to think about getting back to work for the fall. I immediately called my office and got my job back in the same day, and also re-secured my night job to supplement. A month and a half later, I came home a little early from work on what seemed like a normal day, and most of my house was cleared out. I had a panic attack. I found the note. I was devastated.

First thought in my head was how could she do this? Second thought was, who moved her out? Third thought was... where are my kids? She wouldn't tell me where she was living, just that I could see my kids when I wanted to. The very next day I was served with papers, making me realize that when she called me from the car that day, she must have just left a law firm. She had the decency to send me back to work before leaving me in the lurch. Well. It gets better...

Within a couple of days of her leaving, I found out through the waves that she had been having an affair with someone and that the new baby may not have been mine. When I found out about this, I was sick instantly. I had to ask her if the baby was mine and she said yes. She stuck to her guns on that. Then she called me a few days later and admitted to the affair, explained that she was unsure about the baby also and that she had him take a paternity test and showed me the results. She wanted me 100% confident that they were both my kids. Well, I didn't believe her. At this point I had nothing else to lose so I bought my own paternity test and swabbed the baby on one of my weekends. Sent my results out. They came back a week later showing no genetic link. ZERO. I was devastated again. How could she do this?? She told me it wasn't the guy she had an affair with either, it was some other random one-night stand when she was drunk. Good lord, how disgusting. So, i found myself drinking heavily and realizing that my wife, who, quite honestly I've never worried about cheating or being unfaithful, was a closet slut. Never in a million years. So, now i have my 5 year old, I don't see the baby who I fathered 100% for 10 months of her life, and I still have to see and deal with my soon to be ex-wife. I'm sure for many years to come.

I'm not sure how anyone can come to grips with this sot of thing. I mean, 2 weeks after leaving she was already dating a new guy (who was a spitting image of me, career-wise, interest-wise, sorta resembled me) and it's like, how do you not have any shame for what you did? It's sickening. It's something I never thought I'd have to go through. I asked her why she made me quit my job and come home knowing she already had these affairs, and she said she wanted to save our marriage but I just wasn't making that happen because i was 'miserable'. Yeah, no i don't think so. I think we all know what the real problem was. For someone to leave in the middle of a day, have a new place to live all set up and ready, confuse my 5 year old, have a baby that isn't mine and just take her away from me in so many ways, with no regard for what she left behind... I think that defines a sociopath, right?

So, now in the wake of all of this... I'm trying to find myself again. It's rough to get up every day in the house we made a home and try to function knowing it's different. It's been 3 months now and it's getting easier to accept her not coming back, and especially after what she did... makes things marginally easier. I have a really good support system also. But, now the biggest concern is trying to keep my house. She seems to have no problem with me keeping it but that's just one part of the equation. At the end it all depends on what the bank lets me do, and with what she says is a zero child support agreement (because she pulls in 3 times my salary) it should be no problem, but I'm preparing for anything to turn around... just a huge blow.

So I'm slowly getting back into making music again; I have plenty of ideas for lyrics at this point, plus stuff I've written over the last decade that never made it to the computer or tape... I spent a lot of that time working with my analog tape stuff but I found that I spent more time fixing it and tinkering with it than actually using it to record with. That was a hobby in and of itself, honestly. I like that sort of thing, but I think with everything that's happened, now is a good time to just lay down some stuff and get it recorded while the mood is right. I snagged up a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 interface to sort-of replace my aging Firepod, which I will still use as the monitoring device in my "control room". But recording drums is going to be so much easier with the 8-channel interface again, and knowing the stuff I know now after 17 years of recording my stuff at home, I can make it sound much better than before. Having a nice interface helps too. So I'm hoping to dedicate more time to this again, because if for nothing else, it's a huge psychological relief... that and painting.

If you read all of this, i'm grateful and amazed at the same time! Onward...

Yes, thank you for sharing this. I do know it couldn't have been easy having gone through something similar but knowing for sure my 2 adult kids are mine. I can say that by just posting this on a board of your peers was a great step in releasing all that's built up inside you. I commend you for that. I know it feels like forever but things do in time get better. Sending positive thoughts your way. Keep up with the music and stay in your children's lives. All the best.

Wow what a sad selfish mess that woman you called your wife is. HERE's the definition of what a narcissist is. Dollars to donuts you'll realize that is what you were married to. Sociopath too but I think you'll see her in a new light on the narcissist...they really can't help themselves and their fragile egos will ensure you that no matter what the issue is, it is ALWAYS somebody else's fault.

Your poor kids and the younger one who in your heart and soul was yours for however long you were under that impression...What a mind fuck for you and both kids....I hope you are able to keep the love you had for the "adopted" daughter. You were here Daddy in those precious baby days..Man it sickens me thinking of the selfishness.

So...with life there is always positive and negative...You got a couple of kids out of the deal and they are gift that will keep on giving as long as you can keep a solid relationship with them. You probably already know this but she will lie and twist this story to make her comfortable in her own skin...which will make you the bad guy. She is poison and sadly she will be their Mom forever and the courts support that unless she is a REALLY big screw up. Even then if she kinda sort of gets her shit together they let her back in...

What's a guy to do? There are groups of all sorts for divorced dads that cover the gamut of "what's a guy to do" situations that come up when you have to go down that road. With social media it's even bigger and easier...Divorced Dads - Accueil | Facebook

I'd encourage you to get into therapy for both you and your kids...with the twisted puppeteer pulling her strings to shade the world in the way she needs to have it shaded you are going need an "outsider" to help you and your kids learn how to see through her veil of lies without you telling your kids she is a messed up lying POS..Finding a "good one" is hard but again in today's social media world we have the advantage of being to at least read some reviews before we stick our toe in the water... If you do your research you might get lucky with the first one...you might have to try several that "fits" your family's needs.

Musically man do you have some pain and heartache to express...You've been through a nasty ride and that ride isn't over for a long time...Hopefully you'll get the tools to deal with "her" so it is clear as a bell when she is "working you" and you aren't second guessing yourself...They are masters at that. Music is an awesome tool to express yourself and get some good juices flowing in your mind and depending on how the parenting time is shared you might end up with a lot more time to play music...

I dodged the divorce bullet but it wasn't easy and still isn't 40 years into this thing..I have several friends who weren't able to pull it off...some were the problem others their spouse..and a few had POS like yours....So that's where the advice is coming from...

Your kids happiness, mental and physical health are #1 you are #2 and the X, she's just a necessary evil that you are stuck with that will keep you busy keeping #1 and 2 happy and sane....ALL THE BEST TO YOU MAN!

Musically man do you have some pain and heartache to express...

Good point TAE. Personally, I think I write my best stuff when in those states of mind. But I dunno, maybe not. :) Still a good avenue to release that crap though.

Good point TAE. Personally, I think I write my best stuff when in those states of mind. But I dunno, maybe not. :) Still a good avenue to release that crap though.

Yeah...about a gazillion songs behind me and "the one" that tweaked my head when I was young and my heart was an open book is behind me...but I can go to that dark place in the snap of the fingers if I allow it....I just don't anymore..
We human beings are a strange lot.......

So yeah I suppose we all get our turn in the barrel of losing at love...

I wrote a tune for my daughter when she found out her first love had cheated on her...she dropped him like a hot potato...we were shocked because she loved that knucklehead..way strong girl...hell it hurt us , we really liked the asshat too!

I'll never love you
The way I once did
Sad sad day
The lies you told
The lie you lived

True love last forever
That's what they say
sad sad day
Looks like our love ain't going that way

It's a sad sad day
a sad sad day
It's a sad sad day
When the one you love
throws your love away

Love comes and goes
and so it goes
and it's a shame
that you took my love
and played it like a game

I know you know
I loved you so
still I'm not to blame
That you didn't love me the same

It's a sad sad day
such a sad sad day
A sad sad day
when the one you love throws your love away :(

Then I wrote this one from the asshats perspective...

She's leaving
She's leaving
She's leaving me

I don't want to see you go away
Really wish that you would stay
I don't want to see you leaving me
But it looks like it's going that way

Everybody is talking about us
They say that we are through
Please tell me that they're all wrong
Please tell me it's not true

I'm feeling all alone
I don't know what to do
Like a child lost and cold
I can't make it without you

Loves a game that everybody plays
But love is not a game
You can't make some one love
Love don't work that way

Loves will come
Loves will go
But the memories remain
Memories they come with pain
and the pain don't go away

She's leaving me...bye bye

I've played these hundreds of times but never recorded them they are actually some very cool tunes...hmmmm?

Last edited:
The most important thing in your life right now is to focus upon the effort that you need to make to remain strong for yourself. Moving forward with a positive long term objective in mind is the best thing you can do for yourself and for your children.

Certainly, in the interim, you can express yourself by writing about your feelings and begin recording music again on a part time basis, but your daily main focus needs to be on yourself and the needs of your children.

Thanks guys...

And yes, it did take a lot to put that on a public forum and re-hash it all in my head. Like I said I'm so fortunate to have a great support system of genuine friends who care, a good job and employer who empathizes with me and doesn't make my life any harder, and a beautiful, smart (and smart-ass) daughter who I would give anything for. Every time I think about the baby and how in a week she will turn 1, I realize how much I cared about her and raised her for the first part of her life thinking without a doubt she was my own. Sadly, my ex will not let me take any part in her life other than seeing her when we do drop-off. My daughter hasn't really asked me why we never take the baby and it's weird for me to think I have to eventually come up with an excuse, better than saying it's just easier for us to do fun things on the weekends without her, because that will get old quick and she tells me about her constantly... another shot to the heart like I need any more..

Fortunately, I know it's not me. I'm pretty certain everyone around me is on my side and knows that I tried as hard as I could to keep her grounded and in check for years, but you can't chase the demons out of someone else's head, right?

I should reiterate that I don't have a drinking problem, thank goodness. When I found out about the baby situation after getting my DNA results, I told the ex and she said she was as shocked as me, and that it was likely from another affair she had and didn't even know or remember the person. This was when I just grabbed a bottle and started drinking myself into oblivion. I was stopped by a friend though, and it never happened again. As much as this affair is viable, I think she's lying, because I think the baby looks like the original affair guy and the timing was right... something just tells me she doesn't want this guy to know he has a child and can get visitation. Just a thought, and it's entirely plausible given everything else she's done is a lie. Must be a real bitch to live life lying about everything. I know I couldn't do it... I tell the truth about everything, even when it hurts me. I sleep really well at night.

And I have turned all my focus right now to my daughter, because it's all I can do. I want her to grow up trusting me and loving me the way she does now and always has, and try to keep a good relationship between us since I never asked for this mess. I come from a divorced family at the same age, and all I can say is I didn't know any different. But my relationship with my dad was always weird. We are close, and he;'s always been present in my life, but it's a weird close.

Thanks for listening to me and man, it was nice to see some good responses to this and I was sure someone else out there has been in the same or similar shoes.

TAE: nice lyrics. I usually write pretty abstract stuff but recently I wrote a nice little FU song to her based on a response to something I saw online about me.

Man...write a book and sell the movie rights! That's some crazy ride...though it's a fairly common story. Shit happens.

I have to say the "closet slut" comment was too funny...:D... though I know that realization was probably very painful for you...it would sure as hell piss me off to learn something like that.

Consider yourself free and clear to do whatever the fuck you want now...and you're better off now than if she had stayed married to you and just continued to lie about everything.

I did the marriage thing...once....about 30 years ago. As much as I love the women, and can even imagine a "prefect relationship" scenario...I've stayed single every since, and have no plans to change that.
The freedom is worth the trade-off for feeling a bit lonesome on occasion....unless of course you're the type of person who really needs have someone regular around all the time.

Good luck...and go make some music. :thumbs up:

Onwards indeed. Write the "I'm hurting real bad" canon of songs, then put them in a box, lock it and never open in again, and get onto the new and abstract the pain a bit.

Consider yourself free and clear to do whatever the fuck you want now...and you're better off now than if she had stayed married to you and just continued to lie about everything.

Good points. No better time to find new hobbies or to reinvest in old ones.

Really sorry to hear this. Thanks for sharing your story; I hope it helps/helped to say it "out loud," as it were. I wish you the best.

Boy, thanks guys... it definitely felt good to "get it out there" even though I know it isn't a cure-all... certainly though, after it's now been 3 months since she left it's certainly easier not having her here, but my daughter is far away in the state and she has plans to move out of state now (MA) which is not too far but certainly out of convenient reach. She is "reuniting" with the affair guy that is the father of the baby, whom I've now had almost zero contact with since she left. It's insane. It's actually despicable when you really think about it. Here's a woman who destroyed her family for a guy, and a guy who destroyed his family for an unfaithful slut (as he is/was married with kids also). It's a comedy... they are gonna walk off into the sunset together. Sure hope it works out (not). What a joke. She's already had a relationship or two since leaving 3 months ago! Yeah, but somehow dude, it's gonna be different for you...

I completed one song yesterday. Onward...

A tragic comedy indeed. As my Pops used to say...Birds of a feather flock together...They deserve each other ...but your kids ...not so much. It is tragic that you will have no control over seeing your non bio daughter. There are no laws that protect or grant you visitation privileges just because you raised and cared for her for the first several months of her life and the fact that in your heart and soul totally believed you were her father and she was your daughter.. Man it makes me sick the heartache you have had to endure. She is a sick beast (Narcissist).

The odds of she and the Bio dad actually "making it" as a couple has a screamingly low chance...

The good news is that you do have rights with your biological daughter ...As I mentioned there are groups for divorced dads to support and also give you heads up on the your legal rights and the games that your X can and will play on you. She's twisted and if you make it uncomfortable for her there are a plethora of ways she can turn the screws ...running the gamut of you are a druggy to a perverted molester and it's all on you to prove otherwise. Time, money and heartache are at her fingertips if she so chooses to push the button.

It's a slow process but more often than not the system ..in the end ...get's it right but those months / years in between can be torture. Arm yourself before hand. Dot your I's cross your T's DOCUMENT EVERY THING. E-mail and text are best....No oral conversations without them being recorded. You have to state you are recording and always get her to say she understands the conversation is being recorded before you have any verbal conversations with her.

It sounds extreme until you're in front of judge and she starts her lies..

YOU CAN NOT TRUST HER!

On the non bio daughter...who knows she may or may not want to know you but there will always being a connection on your side ...you can't erase love...it just has to go to a different place in your heart..

Hang in there dude....Write songs be strong and don't let her make you a victim again...As Ben Franklin once said ...Always prepare for the worse, if it happens , you are prepared. If it doesn't you are delightfully surprised. Let's hope for the delightfully surprised but don't hold your breathe.

As you might guess I have someone very close to me that has had to deal with this shit so I speak from the heart and experience....all bets are off...there is no "justice" ...the woman no matter how evil she is is the Mom and the courts lean her way unless she is caught doing drugs or clearly endangering the child...it is a tough road.....and the lies,manipulation and accusations just don't end.

Get a lawyer.

Do right by your daughter, do right by yourself. Do as much right with the mother of your daughter so that she's not a demon in your daughter's eyes. When she's a grown-up you can talk to her about it.

My parents divorced when I was very young, and apparently this was the biggest service they did for me: agreed to not bad-mouth one another until I was 18. By the time they could talk about it openly to me, so much water had passed under the bridge that everyone could be healthy about it.

Someone (I think it may have been a lawyer) told someone close to me who ended up in a similar mess.....one of the most prudent things you can do when you've decided on marriage is to consult with the top divorce lawyers in your area(paying a retainer fee, I assume). Those lawyers can then no longer potentially represent your spouse/ex.

Absolutely get the most reputable divorce and custody lawyer you can find. I'm not a lawyer, but you need to file for custody of your daughter as soon as possible, I would think. Until custody is established, it isn't right that she can just waltz off with your daughter far away or to another state. Again, I am not a lawyer. But, if you are stable where you are, with a well established presence in your city, the child enrolled in school or preschool. joint custody might mean she must remain in that area. If she chooses to move away, she may be able to do so, but giving up some of her custody rights might be a requirement of the court. Don't allow her to deny a relationship between you and your child. Be proactive.

Sorry this has happened. It is quite sad.

One other thing...

THe person I referred to who found himself in a similar mess: If I am not mistaken, and I am pretty sure I am not, there was a no cohabitation order from the court. Meaning, obviously, she (with your daughter) can't move in to live with her boyfriend, or whoever.

You may also want to file for alimony, given she makes more than you do, and you at one point quit your job and were the primary caretaker. The way the court looks at it, when the child is with you during your time, the child must live in the lifestyle in which she is accustomed, with your wife. No way she could ever counter in any way. Her infidelity can be easily proven. At least you have that. When she got her 4 year degree, did she at any time attend school while you two were together, you both sharing in the expense? It might seem nasty, but divorce can be nasty business.

Best of luck, man. It is not going to be a easy road, sorry to say. The more she has to defend, the more she will have to compromise. Keep your head, and fight.

Get a lawyer.

Do right by your daughter, do right by yourself. Do as much right with the mother of your daughter so that she's not a demon in your daughter's eyes. When she's a grown-up you can talk to her about it.

My parents divorced when I was very young, and apparently this was the biggest service they did for me: agreed to not bad-mouth one another until I was 18. By the time they could talk about it openly to me, so much water had passed under the bridge that everyone could be healthy about it.

yeah they teach that in the Divorce mandated classes....nothing good comes from dragging the kids into it and slamming the Ex in front of them.
it also said its 10x's worse on the kids than the adults...so even though the adults make it all about their own life and drama, the kids get a 10x's magnified version of it.

its hard to have a peaceful fun divorce though I imagine.

Back