DAW Users With ADD

A friend of mine took his wife out to a place and had a mediocre dinner. Seeing as he and his wife didn't get out a lot at the time they thought they would have a drink at the bar. They ordered two drinks and once the were serve they noticed the busboy wringing out a rag over the ice bin. They set down their drinks and left.

lol.... great stories...thanks for the laughs
its like Seinfeld and the pizza guy who didnt wash his hands in the bathroom episode

Eating out
Never one to throw in the towel we tried another new place last night and were rewarded for our efforts.

Thirty years ago the most popular ethnicity among restaurants would've probably been Italian, these days it's easily Mexican. Unfortunately it seems much like Chinese restaurants there seems to be a sameness among them where one doesn't really stand out from another. Amazingly we have three Mexican restaurants within a one block radius and the place we tried out is directly across the street from a very established Mexican restaurant.

We went into the place and we were the only ones there on a Friday about 6:00, it was only their second weekend open. It seems part of the popularity of Mexican restaurants is that there're cheap, this place was as well, but had a slightly higher end menu featuring lots of seafood and also variants on tradition Mexican dishes rather than the straight up predictable menus of most Mexican restaurants.

We had calamari as an appetizer which was good, whole squids and ringlets, I hate when you only get the rings, lame. ,my wife had the chicken mole and I had a shrimp dish, all very good and flavorful. I hate when you go to a place where the cook is just trying to come up with weird combinations that sound intriguing on the menu but fall flat on the plate, or the dish that is flavorful if you have one bite but is too much for a whole meal.

So yay for us, we added another place to our list of places to eat, I hope they stay open, our town needs less empty storefronts and more successful businesses.

Today
It's raining lightly. I may do a bit of straightening out in my garage. I'll probably work out a set list of songs for an open jam next Friday, that may or may not happen.

LATER!!!

interesting, how big is the city? has it been declining for long?

one of my hometowns is shutting down and has been on decline for 20-30yrs from 6000 to now 3000. interesting to watch. another old hometown is down to 300 people, lost the schools and post office recently consolidated into another. Another old hometown is down to 300...not a new house built since 1972, the schools closed and post office shut the doors...no hospital.

I dont get business. How do you make a profit selling a plate of cheap mexican food in a small town?
Now theres 4 of them you say?

My data shows the decline of 6000 pop to 3000pop
1) factories closed
2) people move to find work, none move in...and young kids move out...population decrease.
3) WalMart and McDonalds and AutoZone.. Subway.. chainstores...kill the town square and ma and pa shops.

*add...even the Taverns are closing due to No Smoking mandates and DUI and WI tickets now cost $10,000 for 5yrs instead of the old $35 tickets...drink at home, Tavern closes.

the chains will pull out eventually if the population declines enough.
house prices drop, tax base for city drops and everything goes into depression era.... its a slow thing. like the Pyramids of Egypt...no one lives there anymore? why? all the young ones moved off? the slaves got tired of building Pyramids for the Kings? wtf?

Dallas Tx is growing like a mofo...like it or not. I dont care for it personally as Im older and want more peace and less traffic. It was exciting at 25....now it sucks.

Attachments

• city death.png
    city death.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
interesting, how big is the city? has it been declining for long?

I live in a blue collar factory town right outside of Milwaukee. Therre's a factory on the main street that's half the length of the city and the city's fortunes pretty much rise and fall on that. There's been quite the uptick in jobs in the state and that factory in particular so in some ways things are looking up. The empty storefronts are a legacy of years gone by and different attitudes toward shopping. Also seeing that we border Lake Michigan, businesses can only draw from a 180 degree radius.

One thing going for us is that cities are back in, dovetailing into your comment on DUI tickets, places you can walk to or catch an Uber to are doing well. Even in this digital world people still want to interface.

I dont get business. How do you make a profit selling a plate of cheap mexican food in a small town?
Now theres 4 of them you say?

My data shows the decline of 6000 pop to 3000pop
1) factories closed
2) people move to find work, none move in...and young kids move out...population decrease.
3) WalMart and McDonalds and AutoZone.. Subway.. chainstores...kill the town square and ma and pa shops.

The area I used to live in seemed depressed, but empty storefronts with cheap rents create opportunities for people whose dreams are thought up at the kitchen table and not in a board room. Once the pump was primed things took off and created an area full of unique non-corporate bars and restaurants. I'm hoping the same happens here.

As far as the mom and pop stores , they were a necessity back in the day but the internet has rendered them obsolete. People want choices and cheap prices. If you want an advantage as a brick and mortar you have to offer some type of service or a unique product to entice people to come your way
Later!!!

The downside of internet shopping...

Just bought a sink for my kitchen remodel from some plumbing outfit in Utah. Took a week to get here. Showed up yesterday and of course there is a scratch in the bowl. :( Had to be there whenever they packed it, since it was very well protected and there was no damage to the box. And even if there had been, it wouldn’t have scratched the bowl.

Anyway, had I bought it at Home Depot, I would’ve tossed it in the car and exchanged it for a new one and have it already. Now I’m waiting for this place to open again on Monday, and figure out how we’re getting it back to Utah and arranging for a replacement.

Amazon is pretty good with this stufff. They give you a prepaid label and you drop it off at the UPS Store (which coincidentally, in my case, happens to be right next to the Home Depot, lol). But, of course, you still have to repackage everything yourself and drive it to UPS. They even send you a new one before they get the return.

We’ll see how this one goes. :rolleyes:

What I won’t do to save a little sales tax. :facepalm:

We’ll see how this one goes. :rolleyes:

So far so good. I contacted them about the damage. They asked if I wanted a refund or a replacement. I opted for a refund. They emailed me a Fedex label, attached it to the package, gave it to FedEx, and it’s on the way back to Utah.

At first they wanted to deduct the original shipping cost from my credit. I asked why I should have to pay for them to ship me defective product, and they agreed to credit the shipping as well.

So all looks good... although I don’t actually have the credit yet. The upside is that it was charged, so there’s always the route of disputing the charge with my credit card company. But so far these people seem reputable. :fingers crossed:

I work on cross docks quite a bit and it's pure chaos and destruction. I have no idea how anything makes it anywhere in one piece.

How did a scratched product get shipped?
1) from factory..oops QC!
2) someone unpacked and slit a knife/razor through the packing stuf

Your situation you werent asking for discount so a full refund should be made. Sounds like they did you right.

Yeah at work I try my best to shop and do local every chance I can, its nice to call the sales guy and he comes over etc..
But the internet is so huge of choices ... say I want to buy a DOnald Trump wig...who has one? the internet.

Attachments

• trump wig.png
    trump wig.png
    119.6 KB · Views: 37
General musings...

Got my credit for my sink. My experience is that there are many more reputable companies on the Internet than disreputable.

I had an excellent restaurant experience this week. A new place. Farm to table, with a focus on pasta. Menu changes every day, depending on ingredient availability. I had local scallops, and they were maybe the best I’ve ever had. A little pricey, but since it’s byob, you save $$$ on the liquor bill. My brother was out from AZ and he was amazed there were so many byob restaurants in NJ. He said they really don’t exist in AZ. My guess is it’s the difficulty of getting a liquor license here. I’m sure most restaurants would prefer to serve liquor, but the cost and difficulty are prohibitive.

Kitchen remodel is drawing closer. Supposed to start in a little over a month. Not looking forward to being without a kitchen for 3 weeks. :eek: Be prepared to read my complaints and general bitching. :)

I've never even heard of a BYOB restaurant, they must not be legal here. Everybody sells alcoho; though, so I'm guessing it's not to hard to get a permit. I've always been told the profits are in the drinks, so I'm guessing that's where the "Pricey" part comes in.

Good on the meal though, I don't mind paying a little more for something impressive, better than paying not much for something that sucks.

Sports
The Brewers are just good enough to make you hope, but not much else.

The Packers are at somewhat of a crossroads, if they have a bad or even mediocre year I think McCarthy is out. It's playoffs or bust, although I think a SB is out of the question.
When I think back to last year the game against Tampa sticks out. Jameis Winston threw up an interception that would make Brett Favre cringe and basically gave the game away. Had he acted like a professional athlete we would've had a better draft pick.

Badgers football is where it's at this year. Paul Chryst looks to be elevating the program. They look to be loaded this year and he's signed some good looking recruits for the upcoming years.

Today
I'm off today and next Monday, my son came into town and we've been doing various things. He's going back today. Next week I go to Madison to move him from one apartment to another for his final year of school. This thread has pretty much followed him through most of his school years, WOW, hard to believe.

LATER!!!

Liquor laws in NJ are a bit strange. Considering it’s a progressive, blue state, the liquor laws sometimes seem pretty backward. In addition to byob restaurants (which aren’t regulated because they aren’t “serving” alcohol), our grocery stores cannot sell liquor. I’m always surprised when I go to other states and you can pick up a gallon of milk, a dozen eggs, and a 6 pack. :)

When I was younger they couldn’t sell liquor on a Sunday. Bars were allowed to sell beer to go, but only in cardboard containers from the tap. No bottles or cans. Liquor stores couldn’t even open. We used to buy quart containers and go driving around. About halfway through, the cardboard would start to get saturated and leak. :rolleyes:

Gong to Khalahari Water Park tomorrow for a couple of days with my daughter and granddaughter. I believe there’s one in Wisconsin too, but we’re going to the Poconos. Should be ok, except granddaughter is turning 11 soon and she’s a full fledged tween! Bored with everything, except her phone, which she is on 24/7.

Gong to Khalahari Water Park tomorrow for a couple of days with my daughter and granddaughter. I believe there’s one in Wisconsin too, but we’re going to the Poconos. Should be ok, except granddaughter is turning 11 soon and she’s a full fledged tween! Bored with everything, except her phone, which she is on 24/7.

The Wisconsin one is in the Dells and there are lots of natural attractions as well as the cluster of water parks and a super touristy downtown.

Are you jumping in or just watching from the sidelines?

Sports
Fall must be coming soon because the Brewers are in a tailspin and the Packers are in preseason.

The Bucks are playing in a new arena this year, which should make the low expectations more palatable. The fans want a championship, but they'll have to move to another city to get that.

Life
Or death for that matter. The MIL is very close and a lot of our time has been focused on that. I spent yesterday moving my son from one apartment to another in Madison. In less than a year I'll be moving him out, where to is up in the air.

LATER!!!!

Just back from Chattanooga, TN for my 30th wedding anniversary (yesterday). Some good meal experiences (mostly Italian). Nice Greek place there. Hit a Krystal for lunch one day and found the worst hamburgers in the country. lol
Saw the Ruby Falls thing (1400' underground waterfall...it's quite a trek to get there for someone who's 6'3" (part is a 280' elevator drop, but then you walk through a LOT of cavern with a LOT of low ceiling/wet floor/both), but well worth the bumps and bruises. Wife LOVED it (she likes caverns AND waterfalls...and she's only 5'8" lol)
Then we went to Rock City (lots of walking, but gorgeous place.) and the Incline Railway (most frustrating attraction I've ever been to).
Chattanooga Aquarium was 50/50. Two buildings. Ocean side was blah, blah, same old routine. If you've been to an aquarium, don't bother. River side was very cool. Escalator up about 400' then walk down the ramps through various levels of well thought out displays. Pretty amazing place. Made me think maybe two different people designed the two buildings.
Last day we were there, we went on a train ride through the Cherokee National Forest in the observation car (built in the 50s for a Canadian railway) first class section. All snacks/beverages were free. Tickets came up to $80 each (coach is cheaper, of course). Well worth the trip.
Funniest part of the trip: Last night on the way home, I asked my wife where she wanted to go eat. Pick anything while we're passing through Knoxville. ANYTHING you want, we'll go there..we went to Denny's lol. She loves them skillets!

Back