DAW Users With ADD

So now you've got to put it back up again next year? You could just leave it up and save time.
Every year about this time I swear it's the last one for the tree. But then i go to the retail stores in August and see all the wonderful decorations meant to charm me out of my money. How can you stop from getting into the spirit? :rolleyes:

Hung a wreath on the front door once...might still be there. :laughings:

Yep, sure is.

Music

Got almost all the tracks tracked for my next release.
Pulled the trigger on Melodyne today. GC sent me one of their 20% off coupons. I figured for $170 (with tax) I could go there. Waiting for the dl code.

Work

Today starts six in a row. Yesterday off, and then next Wednesday...

Weather

Still in the 40s for lows and the 60s and 70s for highs. We've had three days of winter so far...

I got Melodyne packaged with the last version of Sonar I bought. I think it cost me $50 for the upgrade, so pretty good deal considering the inclusion of Melodyne.

I've used Autotune in the past. At first blush Melodyne was a lot easier to use, but didn't provide as fine control. However, as I used it more, it seems to have more power than it appears at first blush. There are still things I could do with Autotune that I can't with Melodyne. But not sure if that's simply because I haven't figured out how.

For ex., let's say you hold a note for a couple of seconds. And most of it is on pitch, but it tails off flat at the end. Melodyne will give you a blob for the entire note. If you adjust it so the trailing off part is on key, it now makes the beginning of the note sharp. Whereas in Autotune you can place nodes anywhere on the note, which allow to just raise or lower a piece and not affect the entire note.

With both programs, you'll find less is more. Start with a good vocal track, and just use them for some final sanding.

Exactly. My first attempt yesterday showed me how important the render is. Any clicks or pops or bad breathing or ... has to be out of the mix BEFORE you send it out to work on it. The "Do you use autotune?" post had me wondering if using this would make me lazy on my vocals. I believe it's actually going to help me get better takes. Stuff has to be pretty good going in to get good stuff out. It can't fix how your voice sounds, only where and how long. IOW, I may be able to fix bad timing or notes, but I won't sound like Shakira... :laughings:

Music stuff

I've been playing around with my Mini Passport and I must say it's a pretty cool little toy.

I now have four Fender amps, if this one counts. :D

I've been thinking about dumping SONAR, I liked 6, but I moved to X2 for 64 bit, but it seems glitchy and odd. I have a demo of Reaper that I've recorded with and also some Sony software that came in a bundle I may check out one of these days. But it's not like I actually record anything these days.

The weather
Very mild winter so far, not that I'm complaining.

LATER!!!

Music stuff

I've been thinking about dumping SONAR, I liked 6, but I moved to X2 for 64 bit, but it seems glitchy and odd. I have a demo of Reaper that I've recorded with and also some Sony software that came in a bundle I may check out one of these days. But it's not like I actually record anything these days.
!
I'm waiting for the one with a "talent" plugin. They all seem to do everything I want them to do.... except make me sound good. :(

Well, I came from Northern Idaho: Two weeks of winter just ended, two weeks of winter's almost here, and, well, you can guess the rest of the year...

Just warming up this thread
Turning it so it doesn't get bed sores.

The Weather
Global warming goodness, I'm thinking about planting some palm trees in my yard.

Music
I'm going to be playing my guitar today, just because.

LATER!!!!

Hey everybody. Weather here has been weird this year...we had about 5 days of 20-30 degrees and other than that it's been 40 on Tuesday, 70 on Saturday, 30 on Wednesday, 80 on Friday....complete roller coaster. Nice weather for flu and pneumonia germs, but not so great for the rest of us.

Working on the annual drama for our church (I know, churches have enough drama without my help, but I like to do my part :D). Lots of time on the piano. AAAAND our pastor and his wife (our music minister and piano player) took a position somewhere in Texas and so by default I am now the music minister and piano player at church as well. Lots of piano practice, but haven't played more than about 5 minutes on a guitar in weeks. Haven't even looked at my bass or touched my drums. :(

My work is giving us lots of time off, but when you try to take it they deny or abscond. I'm supposed to be on vacation this week, but had to work yesterday and today on top of the 40 hour vacation, so I just took back two of the vacation days so I'd only get a 40 hour week. THEN they fired one of the people in my department yesterday and asked if I could cover a couple days more this week since I was only scheduled 24!!!! Nope. Made my plans already. Not working any more on my vacation. ON THE BRIGHT SIDE, just got a $3800 check for all the vacation time I couldn't use last year and got most of my bills and stuff caught up (only $10k to go on my medical bills).

Just warming up this thread
Turning it so it doesn't get bed sores
!
You must've done some deep mining to find this sucker. :eek:

Pitchers and catchers are in camp! My Yankees are on a youth movement this year. Might actually make them interesting to watch.

Giants let Victor Cruz go. Sad. He was one of those rare receivers who is actually likable.

And you still have the nutcase.
Talent-wise he's probably the best receiver the Giants have ever had. Cruz, otoh, seems to have lost something since coming off his injury (missed 2 years). But even at his best, he didn't have OBJ's abilties.

I liked it better in the old days, where a guy like Mantle could be a drunk and a womanizer and no one knew it. Just keep hitting those home runs, Mickey. :)

Talent-wise he's probably the best receiver the Giants have ever had. Cruz, otoh, seems to have lost something since coming off his injury (missed 2 years). But even at his best, he didn't have OBJ's abilties.

I liked it better in the old days, where a guy like Mantle could be a drunk and a womanizer and no one knew it. Just keep hitting those home runs, Mickey. :)

The press covered for the athletes more then, but OBJ is a camera hound. so he brings it upon himself. He'll always be his own worst enemy.

The press covered for the athletes more then, but OBJ is a camera hound. so he brings it upon himself. He'll always be his own worst enemy.
You're right of course. But I wonder how much of that part of his personality is the same part that's responsible for his talent? You gotta want to be center stage, no? "Just give me the damn ball!"

Ali was a camera hound too, but the best fighter I've eve seen.

Of course, there are talented athletes who don't need the limelight, so.... ??

Just thinking out loud.

Back