cut on my eye

jimistone

long standing member
I was cutting some laminate flooring a couple of weeks ago and I left my safety glasses in the room I was laying the floor in. I think "well, it's not going to hurt to make one cut without the glasses. I felt tiny pieces of wood hitting me in both eyes...nothing big or painful. Used the glasses on all the other cuts I made. Finished the job. Everything is great. This past Monday I wake up and it feels like something is in my eye....and it is red. I put some visit in and it cleared up for a while but then started to get red again. It still felt like I had something in it. Well on Wed I went to the eye doctor. It was not my regular eye doctor who is in another town. He shines the light in my eye looks it over and says "you don't have anything in your eye but you have a small cut which would give you the sensation of having something in it. So, he washed it, put drops in to dilate it, pit some antibacterial salve on it, and taped it shut with a patch. He tells me to come back every morning for he same thing for 5 days

I have blue cross but it has a high deductible ($1100)
I get to the desk to pay and she says "that will be $305.00."
I was shocked....305 freaking dollars for him to look at it, wash it, put some salve on it and badage it?

Well, needless to say I wasn't going to go back there.

The next day I get a call from the receptionist asking when I was gonna be in. I told her " I'm not coming in. I think you gorged me on the bill. 305 dollars is ridiculous...my regular eye doctor did everything you guys did plus removed a tiny piece of metal that was embedded in my eye a whole back....he charged me $140.

She said. "Well, we charged you like someone who didn't have insurance and though it is a high deductible you do have blue cross....so we adjusted to the blue cross allowable charge and you have a $130 credit. The credit will cover your follow up visit and there should be no charge.

I go back and he, after being a smart ads about me skipping a day, looks at it and says . Since its Friday I'm going to put a flexable contact lense bandage in and prescribe eye drops instead of wrapping it.

I get to the desk and she says " that will be $95"
I ask what the deal it and the doctor says I had a credit of $130 and the visit was $130...but the flexible contact lense bandage was $95.

I looked it up in the net....you can buy a package of 6 flex contact lense badage for $57.

I guess I got screwed but it's the last time they will get the chance

Couple of ways to look at this, first: you should have used your safety glasses (I know, now you know), second, you're not losing an eye. Be happy over the positive stuff :)

I'm happy I didn't lose an eye.
I'm not happy about being overcharged once and then being conned into another excessive charge.

Plus, why should they charge someone without insurance $305 but someone with insurance $170?

It's all water under the bridge now but it T'd me off.

lol @ being a cheap wag even with his own health and eye sight. As some one who has had a serious and potentially permanent eye injury (no not through negligence on my part) I would suggest that if you want cheap to be the driving factor with your eyesight go to a vet.....

Well done jimi... it's all about cost. I'm just surprised you didn't examine and treat yourself, after all you da man for finding ways do what others do but cheaper.........;)

if you want cheap to be the driving factor with your eyesight go to a vet....
:laughings:

That's pretty damn funny Mutt....

All shit aside, the doctors around here don't give a fuck about anything except the $$$...My girlfriend has been having some health problems for a while now, & recently lost her insurance...Long story short, her usual/old doctor pretty much kicked her to the curb when the insurance stopped, she has found another doctor that seems to be helping her not only with her health, but has been helping her with the cost of her meds (which are outrageous btw)...

Maybe I could suggest to my girlfriend just to go to the vet...:laughings:.

lol @ being a cheap wag even with his own health and eye sight. As some one who has had a serious and potentially permanent eye injury (no not through negligence on my part) I would suggest that if you want cheap to be the driving factor with your eyesight go to a vet.....

Well done jimi... it's all about cost. I'm just surprised you didn't examine and treat yourself, after all you da man for finding ways do what others do but cheaper.........;)

Fuck you very much.

Oh wait this isn't the cave ....sorry old chap.

Yes. I painted a guitar myself several years ago and it came out fantastic.
You STILL haven't gotten over that.
My God man..time to move on!
Lol

You have cheap....
You have fairly priced....
You have overpriced....

I'm not asking for cheap, just fair.
If I can buy a 6 pack of contact lense badage for 57 bucks what's a doctor paying for 100 of them?
2 bucks a piece maybe?

Cheap would be me expecting him to charge me $2.15 for one.
Fairly priced would be what.... $20 for a lense he probably has less than $5 in huh?
Overpriced IMO is charging $95.

You are a good guitar builder but that doesn't mean you should charge me $95 for a set of guitar strings and $135 to put them on.
I would say that $225 would be high to have a set of strings put on a guitar. Especially if I had to tune it up myself (putting the drops in myself)
I'm just trying to give you a comparison you can wrap your pea brain around and understand

Last edited:
Fuck you very much.

Oh wait this isn't the cave ....sorry old chap.

Yes. I painted a guitar myself several years ago and it came out fantastic.
You STILL haven't gotten over that.
My God man..time to move on!
Lol

You have cheap....
You have fairly priced....
You have overpriced....

I'm not asking for cheap, just fair.
If I can buy a 6 pack of contact lense badage for 57 bucks what's a doctor paying for 100 of them?
2 bucks a piece maybe?

Cheap would be me expecting him to charge me $2.15 for one.
Fairly priced would be what.... $20 for a lense he probably has less than $5 in huh?
Overpriced IMO is charging $95.

You are a good guitar builder but that doesn't mean you should charge me $95 for a set of guitar strings and $135 to put them on.
I would say that $225 would be high to have a set of strings put on a guitar. Especially if I had to tune it up myself (putting the drops in myself)
I'm just trying to give you a comparison you can wrap your pea brain around and understand

Jimi old bean, I couldn't care how many guitars you paint. That aint the point. The point is you are always posting about how you can do stuff better and cheaper, you don't recognise expertise you resent it. Good luck with your eyes, I'm sure they will be just fine and you will save a whole bunch of money for paint...:)

It's the insurance and drug companies you should be moaning at not the doctors and care workers. In the mean time look after your eyesight.. You really shouldn't put a price on it..

Jimi old bean, I couldn't care how many guitars you paint. That aint the point. The point is you are always posting about how you can do stuff better and cheaper, you don't recognise expertise you resent it. Good luck with your eyes, I'm sure they will be just fine and you will save a whole bunch of money for paint...:)

It's the insurance and drug companies you should be moaning at not the doctors and care workers. In the mean time look after your eyesight.. You really shouldn't put a price on it..
So, you're of the mindset that any health care provider should charge any amount they wish...the sky is the limit....a million dollars for a single Bayer asprine....a billion dollars for an xray is totally acceptable because no price is too high?
Why?

So, you're of the mindset that any health care provider should charge any amount they wish...the sky is the limit....a million dollars for a single Bayer asprine....a billion dollars for an xray is totally acceptable because no price is too high?
Why?

Not at all Jimi. I think you are perfectly capable of doing it yourself or at the very least finding a much cheaper way to maintain your eyesight...:thumbs up:

Seriously Jimi, you are always trumpeting the American way and the American dream and your American rights, well the American health care system is a part of that. Enjoy...:)

I can't believe that someone would use power tools with no eye protection then come on here and bitch about the cost of medical treatment when he fucks up his eyes.

Only in the U. S. :D

I can't believe that someone would use power tools with no eye protection then come on here and bitch about the cost of medical treatment when he fucks up his eyes.

Only in the U. S. :D
Hahaha
Damn right...only in America!
I'm a capitalist....bitching about cost of goods is what I do.

Last edited:
Not at all Jimi. I think you are perfectly capable of doing it yourself or at the very least finding a much cheaper way to maintain your eyesight...:thumbs up:

Seriously Jimi, you are always trumpeting the American way and the American dream and your American rights, well the American health care system is a part of that. Enjoy...:)

Ok, so you don't believe the sky is the limit and it's fine to charge a million dollars for a Bayer asprine. OK.
It's just a matter of where you draw the "too high" line and where I draw it.
If a million dollars is too high for a single aspirin....where do you draw the line?
$100,000.00 for a single aspirin?
Lower? Higher?
Lol
My point is that you are putting a price on health care when you say a price doesn't need to be put on it.

The American health system is f'ckd....luckily Im married to a greedy doctor so we're rolling in the mullah $$$$ kerching!!!

Ok, so you don't believe the sky is the limit and it's fine to charge a million dollars for a Bayer asprine. OK.
If a million dollars is too high for a single aspirin....where do you draw the line?
Lower? Higher?
Lol
My point is that you are putting a price on health care when you say a price doesn't need to be put on it.

No, we come from a country where healthcare is free at the point of need; it's paid for out of general taxes. It is the pride of our country. Unfortunately it is gradually being eroded. For some reason, our government loves your fucked up system.

Lower? Higher?
Lol

No, I believe you are an idiot for being cavalier with your eyesight and bitching about what it cost you to get it fixed as a result...

If you want to do your usual spin on what others are pointing out to you thats even sadder really.

BTW, it's you thats putting the price on Healthcare jimi... Not me, Oh the irony of it all.:)

No, I believe you are an idiot for being cavalier with your eyesight and bitching about what it cost you to get it fixed as a result...

If you want to do your usual spin on what others are pointing out to you thats even sadder really.

BTW, it's you thats putting the price on Healthcare jimi... Not me, Oh the irony of it all.:)
You're as full of shit as a Christmas turkey.

Back