Crimson Crowbar....local classic rock cover band that's pretty damn good

TAE

All you have is now
I live in the largest county in the United States with over 10+ million humans all packed into it...add to that there's this silly ass city called Hollyweird where people from all around the world flock to to "get discovered"
A lot of "actors" and a lot of "musicians" all hoping that coming here will allow their dreams of fame and fortune to be filled. Footnote... I didn't come here, I was born here...But I still want a piece of the fame and fortune pie! well at least the fortune part...at this juncture :rolleyes:

I play in a pretty damn good cover band but to be honest there are probably 1000 pretty damn good cover bands and another 1000+ decent cover bands here in the LA area.... With that many bands, a band like mine that doesn't go after the small beer bar gigs and doesn't embrace the dance music sets.... to say "we don't get out much" is an understatement...:cursing: But it's cool ...

So I keep a pulse on what's going on and check out bands when I can....I am going to go watch Crimson Crowbar this saturday night...I've never seen em but in watching their videos I have become a fan...and that is a rare thing ...Most of us old rockers who rocked LA in the 70's still play in some kind of band and many of my old bro's are great players but I find it hard to get off my ass and go support them when I can be sitting on my couch with a bowl of ice cream, my super model trophy wife watching CSI, Blackish or Bluebloods...

So I just thought I'd share what I think is an exceptional guitarist and entertainer with y'all...His name is Dave Shelton and he runs the band Crimson Crowbar....I don't know exactly why but I think this guy is really special...like from a guitar playing thing REALLY good...but I don't play guitar I play keys so my opinion is from a audience perspective not as a fellow guitarist... Something magical about this knuckle head...

Here's video of him doing his thing ...This guy switches it up ever gig...I mean he's a hard working mo fo he isn't restricted by his fellow musicians or one genre he has musicians coming from all over timbuktoo to play with him....He's that good and that hard working...You may see him solo or just with this chick that plays the violin or with a full band...(I'll be seeing him with a full band this Saturday) for free BTW just a hole in the wall but this guy is full on doing it locally making a living at it....

Ok enough blah blah blah...I think he's most excellent lemme know whatcha y'all think...

Last edited:
I watched a dozen youtube videos of the band dating back to as early as 2007 They are indeed....a great cover band.

I watched a dozen youtube videos of the band dating back to as early as 2007 They are indeed....a great cover band.

Cool glad you dug them / him ....as mentioned he mixes it up and plays with A LOT of different musicians on a regular basis...dudes a pro....Looking forward to seeing him live tonight...

WTF is the meaning behind their name though...?...or did they just think is sounded "cool"? :D

No man..... it sounded Bloody cool! :D

Honestly I haven't a clue but at 64 years of age and memory fading FAST I was able to remember it a few days after I first saw it...memorable? I don't know...weird...yes

I thought maybe they were implying that a crowbar was used to hit someone...and that's how they got the name. :D

Crimson and Clover, Counting crows. Black Crowes???
Name conjures up those and more.

As far as a name, I remember the first time I heard of Led Zeppelin. Thought to myself "Wow! That's stupid." Who would have thought it would turn into a household name.

Band names are often stupid......unless they get famous.

:D

Bloodwyn Pig AWESOME BAND BTW

Pink Floyd...seriously?

Credence Clearwater...what really blows my mind is how I thought they were totally a southern band...frickin San Fransicoian's

Alice Cooper....chick bands pfft!

Band names can be pretty silly

Jethro Tull...nope no Jethro Tull in the band

Back in the day my Prog rock band went by Cheap Day Return which is a song off of Aqualung....In the song a aging famous rock star is in an old folks home and is recognised as such by one of the young nurses...and has a Cheap Day Return to the glory days of his past...The term is a value ticket for the trains in the UK...we were definitely a value ticket for those that got to see us :rolleyes:

CHEAP DAY RETURN VIDEOS :eek:

I haven't listened to these in a while...they laid trapped in oxidized sony reel to reel tapes for about 30 years finally paid to have the tapes baked (YIKES!) and they salvaged what they could...This particular song has a cool back story to the song and this performance...We'd been working on this jazzy number where we would go directly into the next song "The Medley" Well it's our big night Headlining the Hollywood Palladium and we want to be spot on...well it's 1978 and shit happens...The lead guitarist broke a string at the end of the jazzy tune and back then no easy way to tune and no back up guitar SHIT! There are all sorts of very cool tasy guitar parts in the beginning that he didn't paly at all...then he came in and realized he still wasn't quite in tune...Double shit! Finally we get to the end where he is supposed to cut lose and kill it he's still not quite there but he goes for it...Damn! The kid from Madrid "Dave macias" He was mortified, pissed and frustrated all in one instance there in front of a few thousand people ...well what can I say he kicks some ass at the end...Dave was on par with Randy and Eddie back then had shared stages with both of them...good times...

Last edited:
Although we do a fairly different version of Heroes, this one was awesome!
Only half way through the vid, but these guys are damn good!

Well all I can say was they did not disappoint.

As I said he gets all kinds of different LA musicians to show up tonight on bass was Jennifer Jo Oberle who among other things is the bass player for Five for fighting and the now ex wife of Steve Fekete,,,Not sure who the drummer was but he was cool...I missed the first set but caught most of the second set and video'd it...I'll upload and post here...

Oh yeah I rapped with Dave after the set and asked about the name........uh oh...it is another name for a sex tool e.g. steely dan :eek: Turn's out we have some mutual friends... including the friend that got me into playing keys almost 40 years ago...Hoping I can jam with him down the road...he's a ton of fun...

Find a GrooveSession gig near you and hit it. You'll LOVE them! Not a cover band but killer.

Yo Joe...wassup?

I am not sure what it was about ol David I just REALLY like his guitar playing...and sound therein... I used to despise cover bands.....but now I play in one and I've lightened up...or grown old and decrepit :eek: I still dig original bands and these guys seem like they'd be fun to see....

If I can get my lazy butt off the couch....next Friday night...

GrooveSession
Grazies - March 30th @ 9:00pm

Back