Cpap

I need clarification on something that I can't get past. lol.

You were sleeping fine and weren't lagging all day long from waking up every few minutes? No trouble there. The problem is your wife was mad because you snore. Is all that correct? Because I think I can fix your problem real easily and save you and the insurance company a bunch of money.

lol

Clarification? Are you fucking trolling, or are you just trolling?

I think i've been pretty clear on things. My wife was not mad, she was worried. You clear now?

Yes, cpap runs constantly, at least mine does. It starts out blowing low pressure. Once it senses, I suppose, a more shallow and lower rate of breathing associated with sleep, it "ramps" up the pressure. It doesn't necessarily ramp up to the max to which it is set, according to what's prescribed by your doctor. However, it will ramp full bore if it senses a leak. Opening your mouth with a nose mask will cause it to ramp, it can't tell the difference between a leak in the mask and your mouth being open, even if for only a very brief period. I am reasonably comfortable with wearing the mask now. It is just that constant and pretty substantial airflow that eventually stifles me.

How did you go about switching from a cpap to a bipap? Did you experience resistance from your insurance company?

edit: Okay, I just looked it up myself. I was and am under the assumption that mine is a CPAP. However, it does have 2 different pressures, one for inhale, and another lower pressure for exhale, which from my brief reading is indicative of how a bipap works. It doesn't matter if it has ramped into sleep mode(max inhale pressure of 15), or when i first put it on and am still awake(max inhale pressure of 5), the pressure is lower on exhale. Admittedly, i'm a bit confused. Off to read more....

Last edited:
Okay.

BIPAP is often prescribed for those with severe cases of sleep apnea, and/or other chronic conditions in addition to sleep apnea. CPAP pressure usually maxes at up to 20 cm H2O, vs a BIPAP which maxes out at a higher pressure of 25 cm H2O, or more. The other main difference, the BIPAP has two distinct pressure settings which can vary substantially, one for inhale and one for exhale. For instance, it may be set for max 25 on inhale, but much lower at 8 for exhale. The manufacturers of CPAP machines offer an exhale relief function of only 3 cm H2O lower from your max prescribed setting. If you are prescribed a max inhale pressure of 15, it is limited to a max relief of 3 below that setting upon exhalation, 12 cm H2O.

Yep, I have a CPAP. On my last visit to the pharma company where I got the machine, she said "it is kind of hard to explain", as she changed a number on my machine when I complained of feeling stifled when exhaling. Bullshit. It's not hard to explain. She maxed out the exhale relief function. The most she could reduce the pressure on exhale was 3 cm H2O. I don't know, maybe she didn't fully understand it herself. It's not that difficult. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Chili? How are you sleeping, man? Did your surgery help you breath and sleep better?

Still recovering a bit. There is still some patches of dried blood and what-snot up there. But for the most part, a nice improvement. Last night was the first night I slept without congestion and I could see the results of the surgery. I slept good and feel good today. (All of last week, I had a small fever)

Still recovering a bit. There is still some patches of dried blood and what-snot up there. But for the most part, a nice improvement. Last night was the first night I slept without congestion and I could see the results of the surgery. I slept good and feel good today. (All of last week, I had a small fever)

So Chili, what exactly did they do? Sorry if I missed the explanation earlier.

Repaired a deviated septum and reduced the turbanites to make them smaller. When a person sleeps on their side, the turbanites fill with blood after a while, which signals the body to rollover on the other side. I guess mine were too big and they blocked the airway.

I'm not trolling. If the quality of your sleep is good then what's to worry about?
when you are talking sleep apnea vs. plain ol' snoring, big difference..snoring just irritates your sleep partner(s)..sleep apnea, where you actually stop breathing, brings along a host of potential problems, from high blood pressure to death..

when you are talking sleep apnea vs. plain ol' snoring, big difference..snoring just irritates your sleep partner(s)..sleep apnea, where you actually stop breathing, brings along a host of potential problems, from high blood pressure to death..

I understand that but I think he said the quality of his sleep was fine. Maybe I'm wrong. That's why I'm asking for clarification.

I'm too fucking old to troll and if I weren't this is the last place I'd be doing it so we can get that out of the way.

I joked sarcastically earlier in this thread.....my wife was worried because she said I would at times stop breathing while sleeping. I would stop breathing, but I didn't realize it, because I slept right through it.

Of course the quality if my sleep was not fine. But comparatively speaking, I did sleep through the night, whereas now the CPAP is waking me periodically throughout the night. I'm not sure I even reach a deep sleep. Sure, it has got to be beneficial to me health that I do not stop breathing over and over again while asleep, but I did sleep.

For further clarification, if you' re truly interested........It wasn't like when I would stop breathing it would wake me, I didn't even realize it was happening. It wasn't like I was dysfunctionally tired all of the time. Was I tired sometimes, sure. But hell, isn't everybody? I do think I was becoming increasingly tired, more often, but maybe I took that as just my normal. But, I knew it wasn't. I knew I snored. I knew from what my wife had observed, I stopped breathing when asleep. She has been saying for some time that she wants to make me an appointment with the doctor. She was frightened I would die in my sleep. I have observed people who would stop breathing while asleep, it is somewhat alarming. She and I both know several people who are now using a CPAP. They all say it change their lives. I finally relented and saw a Dr. According to the sleep study machine, if I recall correctly, I stopped breathing on average 41 times an hour. An hour. That is hard to believe. Since using the CPAP, I stop breathing on average about 1 time. But fuck, if I am not sleeping, and at times I am more tired during the day than I have ever been....? I realize it is for the best, I want to use it. I don't want to be a quitter. I don't want sleep apnea to negatively effect my health. But I have to be able to sleep.

Although I only wore it for 2.5 hours last night, and felt pretty damn good today after 3 additional hours of good sleep without it, I will continue to try and to get used to it. It's changing my life! Grrr.

While wise to monitor, a low grade fever is not unusual during the first couple of weeks post surgery. It sounds like you're on your way, that's great.

I joked sarcastically earlier in this thread.....my wife was worried because she said I would at times stop breathing while sleeping. I would stop breathing, but I didn't realize it, because I slept right through it.

Of course the quality if my sleep was not fine. But comparatively speaking, I did sleep through the night, whereas now the CPAP is waking me periodically throughout the night. I'm not sure I even reach a deep sleep. Sure, it has got to be beneficial to me health that I do not stop breathing over and over again while asleep, but I did sleep.

For further clarification, if you' re truly interested........It wasn't like when I would stop breathing it would wake me, I didn't even realize it was happening. It wasn't like I was dysfunctionally tired all of the time. Was I tired sometimes, sure. But hell, isn't everybody? I do think I was becoming increasingly tired, more often, but maybe I took that as just my normal. But, I knew it wasn't. I knew I snored. I knew from what my wife had observed, I stopped breathing when asleep. She has been saying for some time that she wants to make me an appointment with the doctor. She was frightened I would die in my sleep. I have observed people who would stop breathing while asleep, it is somewhat alarming. She and I both know several people who are now using a CPAP. They all say it change their lives. I finally relented and saw a Dr. According to the sleep study machine, if I recall correctly, I stopped breathing on average 41 times an hour. An hour. That is hard to believe. Since using the CPAP, I stop breathing on average about 1 time. But fuck, if I am not sleeping, and at times I am more tired during the day than I have ever been....? I realize it is for the best, I want to use it. I don't want to be a quitter. I don't want sleep apnea to negatively effect my health. But I have to be able to sleep.

Although I only wore it for 2.5 hours last night, and felt pretty damn good today after 3 additional hours of good sleep without it, I will continue to try and to get used to it. It's changing my life! Grrr.
Got it. I'm clear. Thank you.

---------- Update ----------

I've been dragging ass for a month but I'm sure it's because it's fucking hot out. I hate the heat.

Chili? How are you sleeping, man? Did your surgery help you breath and sleep better?

Bringing this back up. Just wanted to say, I've been sleeping real good lately. In fact, I'm only getting about 7 hrs a night and I find I don't need more. The wife is back from her trip to south america and she's noticed a big difference. She said my snoring before was very erratic and mostly loud, changing tones and sometimes she thought I stopped breathing. Now, she says I either don't snore at all or if I do, it's a very low, quiet tone. I think I can safely say it was worth the time and money.... (Yeah, co-insurance was kinda expensive. Don't get me started on the american health care system)

Hey, Mick!

I'm going in for a sleep study tomorrow night. Do you have a beard or moustache? I remember facial hair always bothering me with a cpap. I just buzzed mine off, but I'll have to actually shave this time.

How are you doing with yours?

Also, find out what your wife does with the vinegar and raw honey. I want to start taking it too, but I'm interested in how she does it, like how much and how.

Yo, brother.

Yeah, I have a goatee. I trimmed up, didn't shave. Tell the truth, I can't remember what type of cpap face thing I had when I did the sleep study. Mine was at home rather than at a facility. I'm thinking it was just over my nose, but you could probably look back in this thread to verify. If I remember correctly, my sleep dr said I may have to shave, depending on what type of device I choose to use.

Good to hear you're going to give it another shot.

Just to recap, i've probably already said a lot of this: I started out with one that fit over my nose. It was bulky. I sleep sort of on my side, but with my legs in a semi sleeping on my stomach position. Anytime the bulky mask touched my pillow it would create a leak, which would cause the machine to ramp up the airflow to compensate. I was miserable. I also had a problem with always keeping my mouth closed, which if I remember correctly was your problem. Opening your mouth also causes a leak, and the ramp thing, a whirl wind. I'm thinking you actually have to exhale a few times to create a back pressure before it calms back down. It's a little freaky. You'll probably get used to not opening your mouth at all, I did. After a while you don't think about it, your body just does it. Anyway. I contacted the people about the bulky touching my pillow leaky problem, yada yada, I got one that fit just in/on my nostrils. I didn't use it, at first, the strap that keeps it on is very...thin, minimal(even more so than the pic). My wife had ordered me one online, same type in the nostrils, but the whole thing fit in the back and above my head, Hard to explain, but it stayed on well, could touch the pillow without a leak. It worked pretty damn well, actually, although still had some bulk. Overall a world of difference from a comfort standpoint. I then decided to try the flimsy one. I wear it now. But it falls off, or I take it off in my sleep, sometimes. I'm still struggling a bit, but I sleep silently. I haven't experienced any it has changed my life thankfulness. Oh well, I still do it.

My advice? Try one that fits only over/in the nostrils. It is almost like wearing nothing at all. Sometimes the middle of my nose is a little sore in the morning, nothing serious. Be diligent about washing it. It makes the difference between a breath of fresh air when going to sleep, or the funk.

A couple of pics. The first is pretty much the type my wife ordered online, didn't go through the dr. I'd say it is pretty damn good, but a little bulky. Stays on well, though. Unlike the one in the pic, the hose was on top of my head. The side straps are hollow, for airflow.
The second is the one I wear now, from the dr. Almost like wearing nothing at all, but comes off easily. I think I am going to mod mine somehow, the strap.

Good luck, man!

CPAP-MASKS-FOR-SIDE-SLEEPERS.jpg

resmed-p10-cpap-mask-1.jpeg

My old one is like the first one. We'll see if they come up with something different.

Don't forget to ask your wife about the honey and vinegar.

And speaking of sleeping, isn't it like 3:30 in the morning there?

Also, find out what your wife does with the vinegar and raw honey. I want to start taking it too, but I'm interested in how she does it, like how much and how.

Unfiltered vinegar and raw honey......Okay, i'll ask her tomorrow.

edit: Naw, man. It is 11:05 here. Contrary to what some believe, I am not in the UK. I am in Virginia, USA.

Back