Cpap

Have a beard, and that nose only one. I can sleep on my side ok with it.

Do you use the over the nose one, or the one that fits in your nostrils? Was that your first choice, or did you try another and then switch?

Mine is over the nose. I am getting leaks, even though recorded data doesn't seem to be registering it, especially at times when I try to sleep on my side. I'm thinking of possibly trying the one that fits in the nostrils. I would think it would definitely result in a tighter fit with far less possibility of leaks. If my memory serves, the lady said insurance company allows switching one time. Wife does most of the communicating, so i'm having her call today to find out how that works. I would like to keep the one I have now just in case I didn't care for the in-the-nostrils option. I can't imagine they would have me return the one I currently have, being used. You can buy all options on Amazon, but I wouldn't want to buy it without having it in my hand to inspect. Also, I would probably be locked into buying future supplies ("pillows" and such) from Amazon rather than through my insurance company.

This is some bizarre shit. I got a 94 score for Sunday, even though I was pretty much awake most of the night. Told my wife, I wasn't sleeping well before I got the CPAP, but I didn't know, because I was too asleep to realize. I just slept right through it. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I had (have) another one that covers the mouth and nose, but it was a no brainier for me on the one just covers the nose. It's small enough that with a bit of fussing (adjustment' :>) I can get it to work laying on my side- which I do half the time.

FWIW, mine is the 'nose pillows', or on the nostril kind. Definitely takes some getting used to.

Perhaps I missed it earlier in this thread, but have you tried using any of those pillows that are made for cpap users? Once I get mine fixed, I think I might get one.

I wonder if there's any correlation with the national obesity epidemic or an aging populace that was raised by a medical community telling them that smoking was not only safe, but healthy?

While the weight thing probably adds to the numbers, certainly nobody has thought smoking was 'healthy' since at least 1964, so I'd say most of anyone who falls into that category is either already dead or falling into the elderly category.

The mounting evidence from research done on sleep apnea (funded no doubt by medical device companies) is, however, a more recent phenomenon. Once the results showed the health dangers of apnea and the efficacy of CPAP therapy, insurance companies began reimbursing for it. And then, of course, there's the little matter of doctors being, ahem, 'enlightened' by said companies into how widespread a problem apnea is, and that they should be paying more attention to it.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that it's not real, because I certainly believe it is, I'm just saying that we're all going to know more about any condition that there's a buck to be made on.

Well, my personal experience and according to wife, I am not snoring when I wear it. She says it is a wee bit creepy and she has to check on me. Also, according to the recorded data, I do not stop breathing while sleeping. But honestly, I can't say that I am sleeping better than before wearing it. I probably am, but maybe the whole getting used to it causes me to sleep lighter. It does appear I have more color in my face in the morning, possibly from increased oxygen supply resultant from the continuous positive air pressure.

It's weird, though. I have long been a heavy dreamer. I dreamed a lot and could vividly remember my dreams, some not so good. I am not dreaming, or at least I am not remembering them.

I had an appointment this morning. I got a trial run with the head gear with the "pillows"(the soft rubber type material that actually touches the skin and makes the seal) that fit into the nostrils. I tried it on in the office. It cause A LOT of pressure in my ears. I am not sure it is going to work well for me, but I will give it a try. The band that keeps it attached to my head is rinky dink, seems little more than bands covered in a soft material. The over-the-nose mask is much more high tech, part flexible plastic, soft material covered non-flexible banding, and magnet assist snap type things to secure. It's an off record trial of the new one, so not counted as my second and only insurance company allowed switch. I've tightened another strap on my over-the-nose one, resulting in fewer leaks. I may in the long run just stick with that one.

I've dropped a few more pounds, I think. I haven't weighed myself lately, I don't own a scale. My fast went well, approximately 72 hrs, from tuesday evening through through friday evening. I realize not eating is not the way to go, but it can kick start things. I may fast one or two days each week. From what I have read it is not really bad for you. I am watching more of what I eat, now. More water. No soft drinks at all. No browsing or quick empty calories. I've always eaten plenty of protein and few carbs, i'm normally not big on potatoes, bread, that kind of stuff. Beer is still probably my biggest downfall. Hell, the last time I dropped about 20 pounds I wasn't eating much at all, wasn't hungry, but drank lots of beer. I felt great! Go figure. Beer is food, can't eat and drink, I reckon.

Go for it notCardio, the CPAP thing. I'm slowly getting use to it. You can do it, man. We'll share notes. :thumbs up:

Last edited:
Man, I want to go fishing so bad it isn't funny! Fishing, crabbing, kayaking, I haven't had time to do shit this summer. I wanna feel my toes in the sand, sun beating down, baiting up some hooks, and fish on!

I know, I know, this is the CPAP thread. I wonder what our boy Greg_L has been up to lately, if he has been doing any fishing or kayaking lately. I still miss that guy sometimes.

I think as soon as I can get a day or two, or 3, I am first going to hit the pier overnight. Pop an ice cold alcohol root beer bottle as the sun comes up, cooler full of crabs and fish. Get some rest and go kayaking, fight the current in the inlet for some speckled trout or puppy drum, maybe a flounder or two. Maybe hit some relaxing backwaters. Flounder, it hasn't been good the last few years. They just don't seem to be around, even smaller ones. They've upped the regs, they gotta be 18 inches now. That's a nice flounder, if you're lucky. Bottom line, in a way I don't care what I get, I just want to get out there! /rant

Well, I had better get my ass in gear. :spank:

tight lines, gents!

btw, nobody is stupid enough to believe smoking is good for you. They start not fully realizing how addictive it can be once it gets a good hold of you, it can't or won't happen to me. Most who are hooked wish they weren't. Nobody wants to be dropping nearly a car payment per month on fucking cigs, tied to them and always having to make sure you don't run out, and being fully aware of the health risks and that it could lead to death. It's a stupid habit. I hate it.

One of these days.....

Hey Greg.

I know you're into the big Bull Reds, but...

Earlier, in the spring....maybe April or early May...I hit the beach with a couple of rods. The Pup Reds were running. In a matter of about 2 hours I caught between 26 and 30 pups, most in the 17" range. I stopped counting at around 21. It was one after the other. The guys on either side of me were having moderate success. But I think I hit a channel in the surf where they were running baitfish towards shore or something. Most were caught about 12-15 feet off the shoreline, incoming tide. It was a pretty awesome day. Went home with my limit, a two 23" beauties. Upper size limit is 25" here, minimum 18".

Hit a pier a couple of weeks ago and the boys at the end were pulling in undersized cobia and smallish sharks. I wasn't setup for that action, so settled for...well let's just say the crabs ate well. I still have the smaller kayak, not something I feel comfortable with heading out into the bay. Thanks for all of the advice you gave. One of these days I will upgrade. A Bull Red in a kayak, get the fuck outta here, wouldn't that be the shit.

I still think and consider taking my kayak when shore fishing, just to paddle my rig out into the deeper channels, like you were talking about. Might have to do that one day, as if I am not already loaded enough with gear.

Hey Greg.

I know you're into the big Bull Reds, but...

Earlier, in the spring....maybe April or early May...I hit the beach with a couple of rods. The Pup Reds were running. In a matter of about 2 hours I caught between 26 and 30 pups, most in the 17" range. I stopped counting at around 21. It was one after the other. The guys on either side of me were having moderate success. But I think I hit a channel in the surf where they were running baitfish towards shore or something. Most were caught about 12-15 feet off the shoreline, incoming tide. It was a pretty awesome day. Went home with my limit, a two 23" beauties. Upper size limit is 25" here, minimum 18".

Hit a pier a couple of weeks ago and the boys at the end were pulling in undersized cobia and smallish sharks. I wasn't setup for that action, so settled for...well let's just say the crabs ate well. I still have the smaller kayak, not something I feel comfortable with heading out into the bay. Thanks for all of the advice you gave. One of these days I will upgrade. A Bull Red in a kayak, get the fuck outta here, wouldn't that be the shit.

I still think and consider taking my kayak when shore fishing, just to paddle my rig out into the deeper channels, like you were talking about. Might have to do that one day, as if I am not already loaded enough with gear.

gerg told me to tell you tl/dr

Get out there and kayak, man. Gotta be good for you physically and help with both the weight and the sleep and just cardio fitness in general. But almost as importantly, it sounds like it would be good for your soul. As you alluded to earlier, life isn't just about continuing to breath. The breathing is just the mechanism that allows us to live. Quitting smoking just helps give you more time to keep fishing and kayaking. I guess you just essentially have to make the choice between the pleasure that smoking gives you, and the pleasure that absolutely everything else in life gives you cumulatively.

And as I said earlier, these little fire and brimstone motivational interjections are as much me talking to myself as much as lecturing you. My problem is that there isn't much left on the 'everything else I still enjoy in life' side of the list to motivate me to live right, and I know it ain't gonna get any better, it's all downhill from here. But that's for another thread and I really don't want to hijack this one. It's just my ADD stream of consciousness nature.

Hey, on a side note, if there's a regular pub you hang out at, I'd really enjoy seeing a picture of it (the interior). It would make it seem like I know you better, like I'm hanging out at a party with you and your friends. You don't need to put any people in it, though, if they don't want to be. Just something that captures the atmosphere.

Side note diversion over.

Eh, I don't hang out at bars, often, at all. There are a couple I will blue moon, if someone else is driving. I do not and will not drive while or after consuming alcohol. Wouldn't be prudent.

I don't know if I can do this thing. I'm not sleeping well at all. I cannot wear the damn thing the entire night. I reckon I make a lot of noise without, but feel I sleep better without it. I am sleeping so lightly and waking up several times while wearing it, sometimes gasping for air. I take it off so I can at least get some restful sleep. I am averaging over 4 hours per night, which is what the insurance company needs to see. But fuck, i'm not sure it is really doing anything for me. I'll keep on, for now, give it some more time. I still have not tried the mask thing that fits in the nostrils rather than over my nose. I'm not sure it will make much of a difference, and when I briefly tested it there was an extreme pressure in my ears.

I don't know , what I am experiencing, is this common while still getting used to it?

Chili? How are you sleeping, man? Did your surgery help you breath and sleep better?

I don't know if I can do this thing. I'm not sleeping well at all.

I need clarification on something that I can't get past. lol.

You were sleeping fine and weren't lagging all day long from waking up every few minutes? No trouble there. The problem is your wife was mad because you snore. Is all that correct? Because I think I can fix your problem real easily and save you and the insurance company a bunch of money.

with a cpap machine, i couldnt get used to it and gave up after 2 nights..with bipap, i slept like a baby the first night..
Wow. I just looked up 'bipap vs cpap. I didn't know but it sounds like cpap runs a constant flow? Mine modulates, maybe I have bipap?

Back