Compute sticks..?

spantini

COO of me, inc.
These have been around for a few years. I thought about using one to replace my desktop - I'm not a power user, so for home use (record keeping mostly) it could work for me. The 4GB of ram is plenty and there's also a card slot for more.

Now with only the 4GB it wouldn't work so well with a DAW and a bunch of plugins installed, but when they get these up to 32GB+ it might could work ok.

It's like a big friggin stick drive, only it's got Windows 10.

Intel(R) Compute Stick

Damn, that's pretty impressive.
Seems like the range of processors equates to low end core2duo through to high end core2quad.
I still run a, surprisingly nippy, high end core2 quad here, but it does have the benefit of SSD and Nvidia 970 graphics. :P

At very least it could be a nice convenient kb+mouse browser for your TV.
At best, I guess it would run a DAW about as well as a netbook would? Would be interesting to hear some user-feeback.

Interesting. Never saw those before. Checked on Amazon and they have some for as little as $35. :eek:

Any idea how to interface one with a mouse/keyboard?

I think most (all..?) plug into the HDMI port on your flat screen TV. They all have different USB configurations which can allow for plugging in a keyboard and/or mouse - or you can use wireless mouse/keys via the stick's bluetooth/wi-fi. Then, I ASSUME, it's just like a desktop with the stick replacing the tower - the TV becomes the monitor.

.. I haven't used one yet, so I'm going by the info in Intel's page (link in my OP).

I think most (all..?) plug into the HDMI port on your flat screen TV. They all have different USB configurations which can allow for plugging in a keyboard and/or mouse - or you can use wireless mouse/keys via the stick's bluetooth/wi-fi. Then, I ASSUME, it's just like a desktop with the stick replacing the tower - the TV becomes the monitor.

.. I haven't used one yet, so I'm going by the info in Intel's page (link in my OP).

Wow. That would be awesome. And for the price it's almost worth trying regardless. Thanks!

Bingo. Yes. I've been waiting on a new laptop purchase for something exactly like this. Love it.

Checked with my buddy who's a tech guy at Youtube and Google. He says its nothing special and has limited use.
You're much better off with a laptop and a HDMI cable if you want computer on your tv.
:D
But at that pricing, it's worth checking out.

Checked with my buddy who's a tech guy at Youtube and Google. He says its nothing special and has limited use.
You're much better off with a laptop and a HDMI cable if you want computer on your tv.
:D
But at that pricing, it's worth checking out.

I would think that's due to the much slower processor speeds - 1.44 to 2.20 GHz. ... BUT! they're bound to get much faster by this time next year.

I would think that's due to the much slower processor speeds - 1.44 to 2.20 GHz. ... BUT! they're bound to get much faster by this time next year.
Might be optimistic. Those things were designed for very low power operation. Faster clock speed means they go through watts (or milliwatts) at a faster clip. MAYBE if this idea takes off someone will try, but if they're HDMI powered, that's a limited amount of juice. Even your basic Chromecast device needs more power than HDMI supplies.

I can't think of a single use case where I'd rather have this than an iPad or even a phone, but I am old and stuck in my ways...

These are cool but most of the phones we have today are equal to or more powerful and all can be connected with an HDMI adapter to watch on a larger monitor ...blue tooth keyboard and or game controller and you can use any smart phone as a portable PC / Mac by connecting to a HDMI equipped monitor...pretty cool...

This video shows using a iphone but the same is possible with android...

The little sticks do have a lot of potential uses....Opening up a K&B showroom here soon and for the digital signage these will probably work perfect for scrolling / changing adverts

Back