The Celebrity Obituary Thread

"But about an hour after the CBS report went online, the Los Angeles Police Department said it could not confirm his death, setting off mass confusion on social media over Mr. Petty’s actual condition. Mr. Petty, 66, had been taken to a hospital after going into cardiac arrest at his home in California, TMZ reported. But while TMZ had also reported that the singer was unresponsive and had been taken off life support, it never reported that he was dead."

- CBS Erroneously Reports Tom Petty’s Death, Setting Off an Outpouring - The New York Times

As sad as it is that Tom Petty passed away, I think it is even more important to acknowledge that 58 people lost their lives last night in Las Vegas while attending a country music concert.

I would have have posted my thoughts in Prime Time but I'm certain that the moderators and admin would have deleted my comments.

And of course perhaps his best known, - American Girl -, Petty playing a bad ass 12 string Vox Phantom. My first electric guitar at 12 years old was a cheap 6 string Del Rey Phantom copy that I got for Christmas. I didn't know what to think, it was oddly shaped, unlike guitars my friends had. I was kind of embarrassed, until one night watching late night TV. Tom Petty played one, just like mine. Wish I still had it.

Rest in peace, brother Tom. Thanks for the soundtrack to a lot of good times.

A very close friend of mine a couple of years ago took a bad fall, smacked his head. In hospital, near complete loss of brain activity, organs began to fail, taken off life support, 2 1/2 days later died. Sad and tragic, but it was for the best that he just go.

Petty was found cardiac arrest, not breathing, resuscitated. In hospital, no brain activity, taken off life support.....

Who would you have acknowledge what happened in Las Vegas? Me? I thought I did.

How could someone do such a thing. It is too horrible for words. Words can't touch it, none that I know of. I've been near tears all day. I just can't.

The floor is yours.

Okay.

edit: confirmed passed 8:40 pm. Hate to count someone out prematurely, but it was just a matter of time. Bummer.

Last edited:
And is now confirmed dead. Great singer and songwriter. American Girl is about as close to perfect as a song can get.

And is now confirmed dead. Great singer and songwriter. American Girl is about as close to perfect as a song can get.

My first was The Waiting...great 45. Free Fallin....got his book at Christmas from my brother, then the Netflix had that special on him that was almost identical to the book.
Good story. He had a good run, good life avoided the Nursing Home slow death. rock on...

I am deeply saddened by Tom Petty's passing as well as all those injured or killed in the Los Vegas shootings. What a crappy start to October.

We should make this the celebrity obituary / cover-recording thread!
That'd be pretty cool. Honouring some of these people with a HR nod.

I was being a dick?

I stated the obvious.

Not really, but you made a remark towards the mods inferring that we would not approve. That is a bit 'dick-ish'.

Be a member, make a post. If you feel we are going to suppress your opinion, then you are the problem. Just saying...

Back