The Celebrity Obituary Thread

1973 Ramblin Man was a big one round my area. Allman Brothers.... dang 69 sounds young these days?

Hep C and Liver, just had a guy at work die of that combo too.

1973 Ramblin Man was a big one round my area. Allman Brothers.... dang 69 sounds young these days?

Well, even though he played on it, Ramblin Man was really Betts' song. It's kind of a Lennon-McCartney thing, what was whose. Dickey wrote it, arranged it, sang it.

I never noticed.

Billboard agrees with your comment-
Ironically, the band's biggest hit was also one of the songs that feels most out of character for them in retrospect. Written and sung by Betts, it is one of the few songs in their early repertoire that was completely removed from the blues tradition, and though its lyrics maintained the spirit of songs like "Midnight Rider," it's an outlier for the most part.

Gregg Allman's 20 Best Songs With The Allman Brothers Band (Critic's Picks) | Billboard

Is that what got Gregg...?
Most of the news outlets are just saying the usual "unknown causes' stuff.

I saw some more recent clips of him on TV...and he wasn't looking that good...just looked spent and frail.

Oh yeah...his alcohol abuse (among other things was huge)...I just wondered if that's what happened, that his liver gave out.
Some other media comments mentioned that he was in hospice since back in April...no confirmation on that though.

I think I recall him saying in an interview that he was on his second liver transplant. I've lately been watching a lot of his interviews and performances. Man, that dude could sing, bonafide, and barely parted his lips while doing so. Yeah, he was looking pretty frail and old, but happy. RIP, lay down your weary tune, brother.

There's an interesting/funny clip of Gregg doing I'm No Angel on the Letterman show, the house guitar player started the intro to the song in the wrong key. Without hesitation or falter Gregg comes right in with vocal in the correct key.

Last edited:
Sad news. As a teenager living in the south in the 70s, the me-too southern rock bands were all over the radio. ABB always seemed a cut above the rest, and for me their music has endured better.

I had the privelege of seeing them at the Fillmore East the week they cut the Live album. They were the real deal. Just get up on stage and play. The guitar interplay betwen Dickie and Duane was tremendous. Both excellent players, but very different styles.

I never realzed until I saw something today that Duane died just 3 months after those shows. RIP.

We did shows with the ABB. Good stuff. 69 is too young. Unless you have punished your body for 60 years, then it's a good age. He looked tired.

Back