The Celebrity Obituary Thread

I had a lot of time for Wayne Shorter. He always came across as so thoughtful and able to articulate what he was saying, even though if you broke it down, sometimes it was quite complex.
Musically, I saw him with Weather Report in 1984. It's hard to comment on his specific performance because that particular aggregation {it was the Domino Theory line-up} were such a tremendous ensemble. I really dig that album.
Because he was so versatile, he could be involved in hits or misses. I remember buying the "Super Nova" album from a shop opposite where I worked, called Honest Jon's. I got quite a few records from there actually. But I took Super Nova back 2 days later as I hated it. I would've taken it back the next day, but Thursday was my day off !
Probably my favourite sax solo was done by Wayne, on Milton Nascimento's album "Milton." It's on a great song called "Saídas E Bandeiras (Exits and Flags)." I just love the way Wayne starts the solo, builds it up throughout and then ends on the fade-out in the perfect way. I also love his playing on Mile's Davis's "Dual Mr Tillmon Anthony", a tune that never seems to stop and generally, I don't want it to.

I had a lot of time for Wayne Shorter. He always came across as so thoughtful and able to articulate what he was saying, even though if you broke it down, sometimes it was quite complex.
Musically, I saw him with Weather Report in 1984. It's hard to comment on his specific performance because that particular aggregation {it was the Domino Theory line-up} were such a tremendous ensemble. I really dig that album.
Because he was so versatile, he could be involved in hits or misses. I remember buying the "Super Nova" album from a shop opposite where I worked, called Honest Jon's. I got quite a few records from there actually. But I took Super Nova back 2 days later as I hated it. I would've taken it back the next day, but Thursday was my day off !
Probably my favourite sax solo was done by Wayne, on Milton Nascimento's album "Milton." It's on a great song called "Saídas E Bandeiras (Exits and Flags)." I just love the way Wayne starts the solo, builds it up throughout and then ends on the fade-out in the perfect way. I also love his playing on Mile's Davis's "Dual Mr Tillmon Anthony", a tune that never seems to stop and generally, I don't want it to.

He played very differntely from players before him. Miles as a horn player pioneered the modal approach to jazz. wheras before it was playing though everything, The modal approach is restrictive in some sense but can make some very different interpretations of jazz instead of the traditional through approach.

David LIndley, who played guitar for Jackson Browne, Dylan, Springsteen, and a ton of others. 78.
Long before this, in the 60s, he was one of the founders of Kaleidoscope, one of the most unheard-of and underrated American bands ever. They were precursors of world music as well as dipping their toes in psychedelia, roots, Americana and nascent progressive rock and recorded 4 albums. They're not always an easy listen, but it's almost like the words 'diverse' and 'inventive' were invented for them. Lindley was one of the multi~instrumentalists in the band. 3/5 of the band were multi-instrumentalists !
If nothing else, Jimmy Page liked them.
Interestingly, at the same time that Kaleidoscope were around, there was an English band called Kaleidoscope that had a lead vocalist called Pete Daltrey !
And there was also a psychedelic band from South America at the same time called Kaleidoscope.
Obviously there was something in the ocean.....

Ya know.. it used to be we'd hear a new song from these big groups almost on a daily basis. Now it's obituaries nearly every day. It's like walking down a long hallway to a door at the other end and each day it gets closer and closer.

Rossington was a KILLER guitar player.

Sad as it is, the scary part is that a lot of these guys are the same age as I am! The good part is that I'm reading the obituary, and it's not about me!

I watched a couple of interviews with Gary Rossington and Rickey Medlocke together. These were about 7 years ago. Rickey was still up to it and did most of the talking, but Gary just slumped in the chair next to him looking kind'a burned out. He seemed to have difficulty responding to the interviewer most of the time. He could speak ok but wasn't too good at conversation. I remember even at that time thinking he wouldn't be around much longer. Maybe he was just one of those who liked to sit on the side and let others do all the talking. He'll be missed.

Gary Rossington lived hard, at least in his younger days. All of them boys were living hard. That Smell(the smell of death surrounds you), Van Zant wrote those lyrics following Rossington crashing his vehicle into a big ol' oak tree(oak tree you're in my way). Shortly after release the plane crash occured.

Some people are not into that sort of thing, but one thing I think is impressive is they wrote the guitar lead work. Could and would play exact replica of the recordings live. Of course that is a must of you're going to do harmony leads, or unison which they did at times. Pretty cool when they would play unison and then veer of into harmony. Skynyrd was a helluva band, good songs, good guitar work, good Southern lyric subject matter.

I remember I delivering newspaper s when the crash occured, had a paper route. It was kind of a "the day the music died" moment picking up my papers for delivery and seeing there in the cover news of the crash. With the addition of a new guitarist in the band, Steve Gaines, who he and his back-up singer in the Honkettes sister Cassie died in the crash, they had a good future ahead of them. Street Survivors signaled a sort of new direction, upping the ante. Gaines could sing, and write as well. Hell of a guitar player, better even than Rossington of Collins, really. Gaines and Van Zant traded off lead vocal and harmonized on You Got That Right, and of course there's Gaines' guitar work in I Know A Little.

I remember I delivering newspaper s when the crash occured, had a paper route. It was kind of a "the day the music died" moment picking up my papers for delivery and seeing there in the cover news of the crash. With the addition of a new guitarist in the band, Steve Gaines, who he and his back-up singer in the Honkettes sister Cassie died in the crash, they had a good future ahead of them. Street Survivors signaled a sort of new direction, upping the ante. Gaines could sing, and write as well. Hell of a guitar player, better even than Rossington of Collins, really. Gaines and Van Zant traded off lead vocal and harmonized on You Got That Right, and of course there's Gaines' guitar work in I Know A Little.

He named the band after Mr Leonnard Skinner the horrible gym teacher who made his life a misery at school. Apparently after they made it Skinner came to a gig and said nice music boys... and they forgave him and had a beer together.

Such a great band xx

He named the band after Mr Leonnard Skinner the horrible gym teacher who made his life a misery at school. Apparently after they made it Skinner came to a gig and said nice music boys... and they forgave him and had a beer together.

Such a great band xx
I dont agree with the racism and religious bigotry in the deep South but boy I just love the great music of white and black origin. It is wonderful 🥰
Southern Rock, cajun, bluegrass, jazz, swing... just a brilliant melting pot of influences...

Back