The Celebrity Obituary Thread

I have heard the same as Smithers, it is not the heroin that kills directly unless you take too much. The life style is what damages your body, my understanding. However, I am not going to prove if it is true or not.

it is not the heroin that kills directly unless you take too much
But isn't that true of any lethal substance ?
The life style is what damages your body
I don't know about that. In England for many years, registered heroin addicts have been prescribed heroin by and from a doctor. Rarely are they advertised as paragons of bountiful health.
I am not going to prove if it is true or not.
I'm glad to hear that !
It's a risk I'm not prepared to take.....because I don't believe it is true.
Nevertheless, I'm glad that David Crosby managed to kick his drug problems and managed many years of sobriety. It's unavoidable when one has an interest in 20th & 21st century popular music and its attendant culture, but I hate hearing about drug-sodden wrecks.

Thing about Richards is proof that Heroin is less toxic than alcohol
I don't see the equation. Keith was a heroin addict from 1968 through to 1978. People that he did heroin with in that time didn't make the 10 years.
We go on about drugs but strangely alcohol .... a toxic poison ....damages the body more than heroin which in essence in its purest form is just an opiate pain killer
I don't think it's an either/or. Different people have different tolerances and physical make-ups. Some are wrecked very quickly, others not. Alcohol is like heroin in this sense ~ over a lengthy period of time, overdoing it will smack one up. It is classified as a poison {I learned that in first aid !} but that needs to be taken with a pinch of salt ~ after all, a piano is classified as a percussion instrument. But hardly anyone regards a pianist as a percussionist.
Poisons can be consumed in tiny amounts and you can {like my uncle Willy with his 'Ogogoro'} live to be over 100.

I don't know Smithers. There are a lot of dead heroin addicts. I can have a drink or two, and then not drink for a month or more. I don't think that's possible with heroin. The one person that I knew that took heroin couldn't stop, and he's not around anymore.

Like Grim, I've read his autobiography. He credits his time in prison for saving his life.
Yeh Rich I watched a little documentary tonight that Crosby was out of control with guns and coke in the late 70's. He got 8 months in jail.
I dont do drugs, a few spliffs in my younger days, and I once took sulphate that someone gave me to sober up before an important gig that I had stupidly drank too much to calm my nerves. It did the job but I didn't like it.
These days I do drink every night, but never through the day anymore, I have a lemonade after a game of golf. I used to have 2 day alcohol binges back in the day when I was down and play music in my apartment but no more. I stopped smoking in 2006 and it was no problem. I just wish I could have the take it or leave it approach you have to the drink.

Cheers 🥰

I don't see the equation. Keith was a heroin addict from 1968 through to 1978. People that he did heroin with in that time didn't make the 10 years.

I don't think it's an either/or. Different people have different tolerances and physical make-ups. Some are wrecked very quickly, others not. Alcohol is like heroin in this sense ~ over a lengthy period of time, overdoing it will smack one up. It is classified as a poison {I learned that in first aid !} but that needs to be taken with a pinch of salt ~ after all, a piano is classified as a percussion instrument. But hardly anyone regards a pianist as a percussionist.
Poisons can be consumed in tiny amounts and you can {like my uncle Willy with his 'Ogogoro'} live to be over 100.
My old doctor retired a few years ago. He said to me Stephen, I have been your GP for 30 years and I am surprised your liver still functions, I am pleased you stopped smoking a few years ago, you must be one of the one in a million people that is blessed with a bullet proof liver as all of your tests come back as normal.
I am not proud of that and I would like to seriously cut down on the beer, but the medical profession does not know everything in every single case. I am too old now to worry. Have a beer ! Life is too short to be miserable 😇🥰

But isn't that true of any lethal substance ?

I don't know about that. In England for many years, registered heroin addicts have been prescribed heroin by and from a doctor. Rarely are they advertised as paragons of bountiful health.

I'm glad to hear that !
It's a risk I'm not prepared to take.....because I don't believe it is true.
Nevertheless, I'm glad that David Crosby managed to kick his drug problems and managed many years of sobriety. It's unavoidable when one has an interest in 20th & 21st century popular music and its attendant culture, but I hate hearing about drug-sodden wrecks.
I think its just the nature of the business Grim, especially with touring. So many pressures and temptation. I once did a 12 date tour in the UK with my little band and it was just exhausting. Drink after drink, night after night. I could not function as I had the DT's so I had to drink again just to perform even though I did not really want to drink any more. At the end I went home and detoxed in my room with ice cream, fruit, mineral water, sleeping pills and a TV for 3 days.
I told the guys that I would never do more than 2 consecutive gigs after that.
I cant imagine what it must be like for some of these famous bands doing a 50 date world tour.

Ive been watching the "Festival" years on youtubes and David was in many of the videos, the Dick Cavett show after Woodstock, and Monterey Pop...
hes mentioned as hanging with Fab 4 in Hollywood party....David was really in the "biz" it seems. He had a long run....81!! geez he made it past the average death age.
It was weird how he popped up all the time randomly, he was there!

Never really followed him. But I loved the Byrds and CSN...and Y

David Crosby was an American singer, songwriter, and actor who had a net worth of $10 million at the time of his death. David Crosby died on January 19, 2023 at the age of 81. Crosby was known for being a founding member of the bands "Byrds" and "Crosby, Stills, & Nash." He was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame for his work in both groups. As we detail later in this article, over the year David has complained of experiencing various financial problems. He suffered a difficult financial blowback after a car accident which resulted in a $3 million settlement. In March of 2020 David claimed that losing all of his touring gigs to the COVID pandemic had the ability to make him lose his home. Roughly a year later David sold his music catalog rights for what is believed to a payday north of $20 million.

RIP

I think its just the nature of the business Grim, especially with touring. So many pressures and temptation. I once did a 12 date tour in the UK with my little band and it was just exhausting. Drink after drink, night after night. I could not function as I had the DT's so I had to drink again just to perform even though I did not really want to drink any more. At the end I went home and detoxed in my room with ice cream, fruit, mineral water, sleeping pills and a TV for 3 days.
I cant imagine what it must be like for some of these famous bands doing a 50 date world tour.

It seems you are crying out for help to us on this forum.
Please. Go to AA , start doing meetings, get a sponsor, and get your problem under control.

Last edited:
It seems you are crying out for help to us on this forum.
Please. Go to AA , start doing meetings, get a sponsor, and get your problem under control.
I feel that too. It's a hard thing to do unless one is really ready to make a change...

Basically you should never drink or do any drugs if that was the case - if you had the DTs after a few days of drinking then you must be drinking lot more than you are telling us - or you are extremely addictive - it's nigh impossible to get the DTs after only a week- either way seek help now - don't argue about it or give yourself a break - just go now!

Tom Verlane of the band Television.

Cindy Williams from LaVerne and Shirley and American Graffiti

Lisa Loring, the original Wednesday Addams of the Addams Family TV series.

It's funny how some of the English papers are referring to Top as a bandmate of Jeff Beck. He wasn't even a bandmate of Eric Clapton !
To be honest, he was an irrelevance in rock history. There have been more important roadies. :cautious: His name is more memorable than anything he ever played.

I'm going on two and a half years sober and i was a FUCKING HOT MESS. The single best decision I have ever made was to get clean and sober. It saved my life. You can DM me about it any time if you'd like to talk.

Back