The Celebrity Obituary Thread

The Beaver's big brother passed away today. Tony Dow, better known as Wally Cleaver on Leave It To Beaver, at the age of 77.

I watch 2 episodes of Leave It To Beaver every day - been watching them for 60 years. This sux.

R.I.P. Tony

Kira, if she says she's a muse, she's a muse..

...Sandy...Queen of the Pink Ladies....."he swam by me, got me sooooo damp".. Grease man.

hopelessly devoted to you..

Lamont Dozier, part of the Holland/Dozier/Holland songwriting team at Motown, at the age of 81. He was part of the team that wrote so many hits for groups like the Supremes, Martha and the Vandellas, The Miracles, and the Four Tops.

Xanadu, a place nobody dared to go
I always hated Xanadu and I hated Grease even more.
But I always had a soft spot for Livvy, right back to when I was about 11 and she did "Long live love." In the late 70s, the poppy teen magazines coming out of England, like FAB 208, were really bitchy about her. They used to call her Olivia Neutron-Bomb. Even when I was a teenager, I wondered why they were so venomous about her. I really noticed it.

Lamont Dozier, part of the Holland/Dozier/Holland songwriting team at Motown
I loved the songs that Holland-Dozier-Holland wrote. Soundtrack of my baby and toddlerhood.
But I particularly liked the name Holland-Dozier-Holland. It's as classy as Jagger-Richards or Lennon-McCartney. It has this ring about it. My friend and I used to joke that if Trapeze/Judas Priest's drummer Dave Holland and the great Gateway/Miles Davis bassist, Dave Holland got together {and I'd throw in Eddie & Brian Holland, but sack Lamont Dozier !}, they'd be called The Netherlands ! :LOL:

I always hated Xanadu and I hated Grease even more.
But I always had a soft spot for Livvy, right back to when I was about 11 and she did "Long live love." In the late 70s, the poppy teen magazines coming out of England, like FAB 208, were really bitchy about her. They used to call her Olivia Neutron-Bomb. Even when I was a teenager, I wondered why they were so venomous about her. I really noticed it.
That was a certain DJ who kept doing that. He may have even started it? Dunno? I think their dislike if that is the word, came about because she started with country type poppy songs. The music press back then wanted Suzie Quatro type girlies and not squeeky clean. Later on in the late 70's, she certainly didnt fit with what the music press talked about when it came to girl punk/rock stars.

Sorry to whoever I may have"reported". Accident. There was a dang bug on my screen and I gave him a couple of taps with my thumb. Oops.

Carry on.

So I'm curious.... with the Queen's passing - for the British folks here - what, if anything, does her passing mean to you? I mean beyond that fact that she was a human being. Emotional? End of an era? Don't care?

I don't know that much about her beyond what I've heard about her from the press over the years. She did seem like an interesting person. Very private.

I don't know, it seems little inappropriate to bait how do you feel about someone dying.

She was a tough old bird. Appropriately dignified. I don't know that much about it, but though she did not have to she volunteered in the war effort during WW2. I think she was a grease monkey, a mechanic. From someone who has been known to on occasion twist a wrench and scrape a knuckle, that alone gets my respect.

Great loss for the royal family. I'm not sure the remaining lot has the mettle to carry on, although I do like Kate.

RIP Queen Elizabeth ii

Back