The Celebrity Obituary Thread

Johnny Nash a singer I remember from the 1970's.

'I can see clearly now' I think it was that was a big hit. In his 80's he was.

Found it.

I suppose EVH was my generations Hendrix. As I recall hearing that first album in 78, and it made many of us feel like cavemen players at that moment the needle hit the vinyl, we hadnt even figured out Pages 14 overdubs yet of Led Zep sht....and then came this alien like playing from this dude, on this vinyl album, making sounds that were so different but awesome, we were shell shocked. The songs were radio ready too, but it was the guitar that was the bomb that nuked everyone.

It was one of those moments where I recall exactly where I was and when and with who when the first Eddie VH album was played. None of us even tried to copy Eddie, he was too far out there, way too advanced, and too different to even comprehend that style. We would just stare at the guitar fretboard and wonder how he made this instrument do that?

Attachments

• EDDIE RIP.png
    EDDIE RIP.png
    169 KB · Views: 6
I suppose EVH was my generations Hendrix. As I recall hearing that first album in 78, and it made many of us feel like cavemen players at that moment the needle hit the vinyl, we hadnt even figured out Pages 14 overdubs yet of Led Zep sht....and then came this alien like playing from this dude, on this vinyl album, making sounds that were so different but awesome, we were shell shocked. The songs were radio ready too, but it was the guitar that was the bomb that nuked everyone.

It was one of those moments where I recall exactly where I was and when and with who when the first Eddie VH album was played. None of us even tried to copy Eddie, he was too far out there, way too advanced, and too different to even comprehend that style. We would just stare at the guitar fretboard and wonder how he made this instrument do that?

I remember the moment when i first heard their debut album. I was 15-16 arriving at an outdoor party just after dark, a small clearing on someone's property in the woods. At that age I was no longer exclusively a tag along with older guys, my own crew were beginning to get wheels and drive. Anyway. A guy at the party had a hatchback vehicle with big ass home speakers in the back, and apparently a kickass power amp. As we arrived and I existed our car, Eruption began to play. I'd never heard anything like it. The sound was echoing off of the trees, various lights from different vehicles reflecting off of the trees, with this alien-esque guitar/music cranked to the hilt. All these pretty girls, and me and my crew. Oh yeah, this all seemed like a new beginning, and I liked it, a lot! And then You Really Got Me played. I sort of recognized it as being a Kinks cover, but this was different, it rocked, it grooved, and that crazy guitar that didn't seem to follow the more common blues based licks. It was all pretty awesome, and I kind of look at that night as my coming out party, me and my crew. We were the older guys now.

I suppose EVH was my generations Hendrix
It's funny, I never felt that way about any guitarist. I first heard Van Halen at the end of 1980, out in Nigeria. It was the "Women & Children First" album, an album I still love to this day. The songs are brilliant, the playing is brilliant, the singing is brilliant, it's great melodic heavy rock that packs a serious punch and is wildly inventive. But by that stage, I was 13 months into my heavy rock odyssey and had absorbed the likes of Ritchie Blackmore, Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, Jimi Hendrix, John Fogerty, James Young, Tommy Shaw, Mick Box, Martin Barre, Syd Barrett, Ace Frehley, Tommy Bolin, Mel Galley, Buck Dharma, Tony Iommi, Francis Rossi, Eric Clapton {in his Cream days}, Rick Nielsen, Billy Gibbons, Rik Emmett, Micky Moody, Bernie Marsden, Alex Lifeson, Brian Robertson, Scott Gorham, Ted Nugent, Mark Farner, Kerry Livgren, Michael Schenker, Paul Kossoff, Barry Goodreau, Andy Powell, Ted Turner, Tonka Chapman, Manny Charlton and Brian May so Eddie was just another heavy guitarist to me. In those days none of the guitarists were shit, they all added their own bit of something new to the music of their respective bands and I didn't elevate guitarists beyond their overall contribution to a song.

Gerry Marsden, frontman of Gerry and the Pacemakers, dies aged 78.

You'll Never Walk Alone Gerry.

Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying was one of our staple "slow songs" at dances in the late 60s/early 70s dances.

I remember when I visited Mathew Street in Liverpool back in 2000, the plaque on the Wall of Fame by the Cavern Club said it was unveiled by Gerry Marsden a few years earlier. It was impressive to see all the names of people who had played there. Gerry and the Pacemakers' brick was right next to the Beatles and the Who.

Ironically, he used a very slow version, an instrumental, of Don't let the sun catch you crying, before covid, for walk-on music at some of his theatre shows, and I've had the first, and now probably the last royalty. His rider was always quite gentle - the only real request was some bottle of Merlot for the dressing room. He was, however, a very strict contact timing act - if he did his 60 minutes and still hadn't sung one of the hits, he'd wave at the audience say bye - and not come back. Just how he was. Always a very good show!

Back