The Butterfly effect

TAE

All you have is now
Andy Andrews is a motivational speaker / kind of, sort of comedian... Over the years I've read several motivational, self improvement and sales books including some of Andy's to broaden my world view and to provide me with fresh or alternative ideas and best practices of getting through this life as happily, comfortably and fulfillingly as possible. Definitely have not quite got it all figured out, accept that it is unlikely I ever will, but definitely having a pretty good time on the journey. The effort I put into expanding that knowledge has paid huge dividends. I am a very lucky / blessed man. Andy and his books and videos have played a part in my "perspective" and recognizing how vitally important proper perspective is in maintaining a positive attitude in a world that, if focused upon from a negative perspective, can bring you down to the ground in a heart beat.

When fact checked, I've come to discover Andy as many of these guru's do, sometimes exaggerates and bends the actual truth a bit to get his point across....maybe even out and out bold face lies. That's ok with me. The end result of the message he is communicating IMO merits the smoke and mirrors he uses to get you there..

I particularly like this little clip...

Alan Watts

No slam, but I wonder if that guy even believes most of all he says. That's some far out i know things and i'm going to say them in such a way that you'll never get it stuff. Although, "I owe my solitude to other people", to that i can sometimes relate. Maybe my interpretation is off. But hey, if as he says i'm God....

I don't know what he believed deep down.From what his daughter says, he was shitfaced for most of his later lectures.
I can tell you his talks have amused, entertained and consoled me through a catastrophic period in my life, and his ideas speak to me in a way I can't articulate.
I think the "you're God" thing is more an expression of more Hindu ideas.Perhaps the more important concepts he discussed is that people are more than just their egos, and that we are part of, and belong in the universe, and not merely lonely, alien, vulnerable victims of it.That all goes back to the whole "perspective' thing TAE alluded to in the original post. Whatever keeps you from hooking up a hose to your tailpipe, eh?Hope I'm not getting to close to the no religion rules.

You gotta get really stoned before you listen to him...THEN it becomes very heavy man, heavy. :laughings:

One of my very close brothers ( no longer among the living :( ) was very into Alan and I definitely dig a lot of what he raps about. I can definitely agree with the precept that we just don't know what we don't know. There is no arguing we don't know it all and it is very likely we never will....

We are all part of the one, one being energy / life. Each one of us on our own private journey / "experience" to the end of a single moment in the ever elusive, never ending story of time, which we all know is an illusion. You can quote me on that :D

We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon,
And we got to get ourselves back to the garden.

The Beeze said:
Hope I'm not getting to close to the no religion rules.

Nah, from my talks with the Mods we can talk about anything within reason as long as we keep it respectful...As long as no one is being a dick and starts a flame war..we're good.

.As long as no one is being a dick

Whelp...that rules me out! :D
Another one I like, who's not quite as entertaining is Eckhart Tolle. Impish little German fellow, who you wouldn't really think of as some cosmic guru, but pretty inspiring...to me, anyway.

Another one I like, who's not quite as entertaining is Eckhart Tolle. Impish little German fellow, who you wouldn't really think of as some cosmic guru, but pretty inspiring...to me, anyway.

In 2011, he was listed by Watkins Review as the most spiritually influential person in the world. Pretty impressive label...

I've heard of him and read some of his quotes but will have to check him out a bit deeper... always good to feed the mind and soul....

In 2011, he was listed by Watkins Review as the most spiritually influential person in the world. Pretty impressive label...

I've heard of him and read some of his quotes but will have to check him out a bit deeper... always good to feed the mind and soul....
Oprah's a big fan and plugs him.That was a big boost for his career.
His message is similar to Alan Watts, but he doesn't have the 60s hipness and edginess.It's all about "the now", and recognition of the ego, and all the mischief it causes.

It's not as new agey as it sounds.Like Buddhism (and probably some other eastern philosophies) it really is all about developing the skill of being present, in the current moment.I suck at it, epically!

Life is about our journey and how it relates to other people's journey.

While my view is from a Biblical perspective (these ideas came from the Bible), it doesn't change the fact that our lives mean nothing except to us, those we touch and our Creator. If you don't believe in a Creator, I don't have an issue with that, it is your journey.

Each person living in a point in time, shares their time with all people of that time.

The "not knowing" is the actual beauty of life. If you knew, what then would be the point to live?

The down times are the enriched times since that is when we are growing (our spirit is being moved since it is uncomfortable).

The good times are often the silent times in our lives since we are usually not moving our spirit forward (our spirit is comfortable) unless we recognize what gift we are being given at that moment (then we are giving our spirit nourishment and feeding its well being).

To live, you must know you are a live.

But that is probably all babel and makes no sense, but it works for me ;)

Watched the video. Good stuff.Sort of obvious, if you think about it. It largely falls under karma, and dependent origination.

While my view is from a Biblical perspective (these ideas came from the Bible), it doesn't change the fact that our lives mean nothing except to us, those we touch and our Creator. If you don't believe in a Creator, I don't have an issue with that, it is your journey.

Each person living in a point in time, shares their time with all people of that time.

The "not knowing" is the actual beauty of life. If you knew, what then would be the point to live?

The down times are the enriched times since that is when we are growing (our spirit is being moved since it is uncomfortable).

The good times are often the silent times in our lives since we are usually not moving our spirit forward (our spirit is comfortable) unless we recognize what gift we are being given at that moment (then we are giving our spirit nourishment and feeding its well being).

It makes perfect sense.
There was a time when I would have gone out of my way to make fun of someone's attachment to a bible.I've been laid low enough to realize how fucked up that is.I honor whatever people need to get along...as long as it doesn't involve strapping on a dynamite vest, or some other such fuckery!

It makes perfect sense.
There was a time when I would have gone out of my way to make fun of someone's attachment to a bible.I've been laid low enough to realize how fucked up that is.I honor whatever people need to get along...as long as it doesn't involve strapping on a dynamite vest, or some other such fuckery!

That is the point exactly. I think the Bible gets bad press because of all of the bad things men and women have in the name of the Bible. But there is much wisdom and philosophy in those pages. I can't help but be in awe and inspired by such ancient knowledge thousands of years old.

I don't know if it has anything in common to what you're speaking of, but...

Some of the most grounded times i've experienced in my life have been the result and/or time of some sort of traumatic event or loss. Sometimes the loss is just what I thought I knew, a truth, then realizing as a consequence of some event I actually hadn't a clue. It is humbling, and things that really matter seem much clearer, very much in the now. Calm. At some later date when the trauma has passed and things are going well, I may have at times a sense of being adrift, less grounded. Weird. I actually look back with almost an envy or regret and wonder why or wish the clear calmness times could be the norm.....minus the trauma. Maybe the answer lies in my supposed religious beliefs. Truth is, i'm not a very good Christian. News flash, eh?

Sorry, heavy stuff....for a heavy thread, I reckon.

^^ I ought to delete that mess^^ :facepalm:

Some of the most grounded times i've experienced in my life have been the result and/or time of some sort of traumatic event or loss. Sometimes the loss is just what I thought I knew, a truth, then realizing as a consequence of some event I actually hadn't a clue. It is humbling, and things that really matter seem much clearer, very much in the now. Calm. At some later date when the trauma has passed and things are going well, I may have at times a sense of being adrift, less grounded. Weird. I actually look back with almost an envy or regret and wonder why or wish the clear calmness times could be the norm.....minus the trauma. Maybe the answer lies in my supposed religious beliefs. Truth is, i'm not a very good Christian. News flash, eh?

Good stuff, actually!:thumbs up:

There was a time when I fancied the whatshisname quote, "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom, for prudence is a rich ugly old maid courted by incapacity"

I'm not sure excess has been my friend, but lord knows i've learned a few things, hopefully. I've definitely learned that a surprizing number of those around me whose cup runneth over with excess got neither rich nor old. I'll be 54 in less than a month, so.....

Somebody told me that 50 through early 50s is a milestone. If you make it past that period you're probably good for another couple decades or so. I don't know if there is any truth to that, but I'm still here. Just between you and me, i've told no one, it's becoming more and more apparent that my kidneys have seen better days. I'll see the doctor next month, too busy right now. By that time i'll be midlin 50s, prognosis might be better. :thumbs up:

(ah, whatshisname --> Blake, Willy)

I agree with Beez!

Andy Andrews is a motivational speaker / kind of, sort of comedian... Over the years I've read several motivational, self improvement and sales books including some of Andy's to broaden my world view and to provide me with fresh or alternative ideas and best practices of getting through this life as happily, comfortably and fulfillingly as possible. Definitely have not quite got it all figured out, accept that it is unlikely I ever will, but definitely having a pretty good time on the journey. The effort I put into expanding that knowledge has paid huge dividends. I am a very lucky / blessed man. Andy and his books and videos have played a part in my "perspective" and recognizing how vitally important proper perspective is in maintaining a positive attitude in a world that, if focused upon from a negative perspective, can bring you down to the ground in a heart beat.

When fact checked, I've come to discover Andy as many of these guru's do, sometimes exaggerates and bends the actual truth a bit to get his point across....maybe even out and out bold face lies. That's ok with me. The end result of the message he is communicating IMO merits the smoke and mirrors he uses to get you there..

I particularly like this little clip...

Dude, it's "bald-faced lies"... someone has to tell you.

You can thank me later.:thumbs up:

Back