Borrow/rent an Acoustic Guitar on Big Island Hawaii

Bobbsy

Boring Old Git
A long shot but I thought I'd ask...do we have any members in Hawaii, on the Big Island to be precise?

I have a friend from Arizona who is doing some gigs there, starting at the Kalani Resort on 13 January. Baggage restrictions (and fear of damage in the hold) mean that she's wondering if anyone knows a place she can rent or preferably borrow an acoustic guitar.

Feel from to PM me if you'd like me to put you in touch with her.

Usually they are very accommodating on musical instruments as carry on. At least I have seen them on flights I have been on (except for large acoustic basses). She may be able to carry it on, I would have her check, often they will put it up front in first class closet.

Thanks...I'll pass that on. I only know the sketchiest details but I suspect her problem may be weight. She use live looping (very effectively) in her act but all her gear for that must be pretty heavy. With the time difference we only overlap to chat for a few hours a day but I'll see if I can get more info from her in her evening/my morning tomorrow.

I fly out of Austin regularly and there are a lot of musicians around here. I see a lot of people carry their guitars on the plane. The flight crews are good about accommodating them. The one thing I noticed is most everyone uses gig bags to travel with. I personally would never do that.

The heavier stuff should go into checked baggage and should be less than 50 pounds (weight, not money - lol). If she doesn't fly regularly and doesn't have an airline credit card, she'll have to pay baggage fees. She might find benefit in getting an airline credit card. Mine allows me 3 checked bags for free.

Either way, she should call the airline ahead of time. If for some reason, she can't take her guitar with her, I'm sure there is a music store that rents instruments.

Bobbsy,

It may worth trying to contact Alan Hyatt (PMI Audio, Studio Projects, Joe Meek, etc.) as he lives on the Big Island and may be able to help.

I know he isn't active here these days but you may get him via an email through PMI or a PM in Gearslutz forums.

:cool:

Back