Blockchain and Music

DM60

I know Kodak is starting to experiment with putting Blockchain into digital photos. That way if a photo is displayed on the internet and has a Blockchain ID, the owner of that photo can go after the site that is displaying it and ask for money or demand it be removed. Not 100% sure how it will work, but main point here is the photographers will be able to get paid for their work.

Now with music, it could push everything back to where people can buy the music, play it and just be licensed to play the music but couldn't share since other users wouldn't have a license.

Something to keep an eye out for as this could shift music away from streaming again and push for people to go and buy the music. (Artist could now limit the plays on streaming or release one song but not all, ???)

Could be another pivot point the web, it will be interesting how Blockchain will change the Internet. Stay tuned!

It sounds good in theory but...

Just like we can capture a screenshot and then copy and paste the image thus removing the digital license..we can record the audio that is streamed and have a copy that is not linked to the blockchain.

Any lock can be picked it just stops the more honest people from going through a locked door.

Kodak?

I thought they were gone forever? Or did another entity pick up the brand name?

Oh, I see, they still exist:

Loading site please wait...

But even their press release seems wrong. This is more like the use of a blockchain in contracts, not crypto currency.

And this is the reason:

Kodak’s stock doubles after camera and film pioneer boards blockchain bandwagon - MarketWatch

"Kodak’s stock doubles after camera and film pioneer boards blockchain bandwagon."

"The ICO target is $20 million, with the potential to go up to $100 million."

There's a bunch of other companies involved:

Key KodakCoin exec barred from serving as officer in German companies - MarketWatch

They seem good at going bankrupt...

Also an interesting read:

Ethereum's Kodak Moment - cmyk Trends

Thanks Miro for sharing.

Since I have been watching this, and beyond cryptocurrency, I think this could change a lot of things. While yes, even records could be bootlegged with a cassette recorder, it still kept it in check. Plus, unless you went digital to analog back to digital, then there could be some digital trace left. So it might be harder to defeat than we think. Not impossible, but once again, the reason most people don't print money because it is pretty hard, but not impossible, but you have to have some mad skills to do it.

Just something I thought I would share as it may be of interest to many of "technology" coming down the road.

If it does get used for audio...I think it's mostly going to be of value to the big name. making the big money, who always want to make even more money.

I mean...for the home rec musician/songwriter, it's not going to matter a whole lot. Frankly, I think the home rec musician/songwriters benefit from their music getting copied and passed around, more than they lose in possible income.
Would you rather earn money on legit purchases by 5 people...or have 50 people playing your music that they bootleg copied?
IOW...until you're approach some true "name" status where you're selling songs by the hundreds and thousands ...the more your music that gets out there the better, at least until the spark lights up some fire. ;)
So copyright it and protect your ownership...but it's OK if you give it away for free in the beginning to generate a fan base...etc.

A watermarking system for music is already in use. It's one of the reasons many CD's sound so bad...

There's only one major label using it AFAIK. Universal:

Universal’s Audible Watermark | Matt Montag

This was a BIG opportunity when the net was young. But the majors wouldn't have any of it. Now it's too late, as streaming has already taken over.

[MENTION=6814]Miro[/MENTION] to your point, I am more interested in people listening than making money. But maybe people who can sell maybe 10-20K downloads might see value. It doesn't take much, but it does take more than what I would probably ever get. Which is OK by me.

Not sure what I would do if I actually made money of my music.

Back