Billy Corgan Rip Off Neu?

I think that might have occurred to me a long time ago upon first hearing 'Cherub Rock', but now after decades of hearing it, that song is just kind of cemented in my head and I no longer think of it as being related.

THIS is a real Neu! homage though- when I saw Stereolab and Unrest, I was next to the stage and could see Stereolab's setlist and they just called this song "NEU":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMKGLc0vAS0

Don't think it sounds that similar aside from the tone on the intro. Just reminded me how much I love the fuzz on Cherub Rock though. Might see if I can get a Big Muff for Christmas.

Don't think it sounds that similar aside from the tone on the intro. Just reminded me how much I love the fuzz on Cherub Rock though. Might see if I can get a Big Muff for Christmas.

Really? The key is even the same both in E major.
Then the (unique) rhythm is almost exact!

You should try the BYOC muff if you can solder. It's awesome! And it allows you to scoop the mids or play it with flat eq. It's so great.

Overall...they don't really sound the same.
Glad to see some artists not suing over every 2-3 notes or drum beats.

It's really easy to play in E major on the guitar though. Drone the bottom E and play notes from the E Major scale on the A string and it all sounds the same!

It's really easy to play in E major on the guitar though. Drone the bottom E and play notes from the E Major scale on the A string and it all sounds the same!

Yup. Fat_fleet is right - if there's any similarity it's subconscious. Lots of stoner music sounds like this. The notes being "stolen" aren't particular majestic, complex, or unique. Then there's the whole different composition/arrangement thing for the other 98-99% of the song. It's very much a reach to say one is the other.

Knowing Corgan's well documented Rush fandom, I'd think there's more Tom Sawyer 'borrowing' going on.

it def seems "borrowed" to me. more than inspired, but less than a blatant ripoff. i didn't have to listen to the second link, I'm already guessing you're talking about Cherub Rock. The fading-in of the guitar and drums, the rhythm, and the key. All very close.

I listened to them back n forth and though IMO similar, technically very different....similar intro vibe but not close enough to be worth trying to claim plagiarism in court over.

Back