Average Red light duration?

Dumby

Bummed Spammer
Does anyone know where I can dig up information on traffic light durations...timing and that sort or stuff?

Does anyone know where I can dig up information on traffic light durations...timing and that sort or stuff?
I think all traffic lights are programmed according to a traffic engineer's prediction of traffic flow at various times of the day. Some are on-demand and some are completely pre-programmed.

I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all answer. But if you have questions about specific signals, you can call the traffic engineering department of whatever municipal entity controls the lights and talk to one of the engineers.

All red lights are exactly 5 seconds shorter then the time I need to open up my pack of smokes, light it and open the window. :mad:

Otherwise; see Zaphod B's response. ;)

Cheers! :)

Does anyone know...

No, but if you’re ever on Lake Cook Road in the Northwest Chicago burbs you will hit every light red. The trick is to sit at a green light (no matter how many people are honking and screaming behind you) until it turns yellow. Next take off and keep your speed about 3 mph over the posted speed limit. You will now hit every light green for miles. I discovered this one day while driving from Long Grove to Gand Music in Northfield. The same trick probably works in other areas with hundreds of stop lights on one road.

:)

Brock street in Kingston is (or used to be) programmed so that if you drove the speed limit, you would hit all the green lights.

Many times, I rolled through the last light at the moment of change from red to green. Good thing it was pretty wide open there - would have been a drag to get t-boned by somebody rushing the red.

You've made me look, now - aren't too many reports out there ...
Ask these guys :)
http://mainland.cctt.org/mathsummer/Eileen/traffic/traffic_std.htm

No, but if you’re ever on Lake Cook Road in the Northwest Chicago burbs you will hit every light red. The trick is to sit at a green light (no matter how many people are honking and screaming behind you) until it turns yellow. Next take off and keep your speed about 3 mph over the posted speed limit. You will now hit every light green for miles. I discovered this one day while driving from Long Grove to Gand Music in Northfield. The same trick probably works in other areas with hundreds of stop lights on one road.

Where is Buck when you need him...

yeah.. lake cook is a nightmare @ rush hour.

it seems like those lights are dynamic based on environment... that 3mph rule makes sense for the rush hour setting though

yeah lake cook is a rip off for driving, luckily i dont travel up that way too much. the worst part of it is, it is only going to get worse over the years because so many more people are moving up that way

Back