Autonomous Driving

It does sound cool until the other human elements creep into the mix. Elements like insurance companies that will make your rates go through the roof if you drive your car instead of the computer doing it. Human greed demands this take place.

What would greed have to do with it? Common sense demands a relationship between rate and risk for insurance to make sense. Nothing about the introduction of self-driving MVs changes the equation. If electing to drive the car yourself increases your risk relative to the passengers of self-driving vehicles, then why shouldn't your rate be higher? It sounds like you have a problem with insurance, period?

What would greed have to do with it? Common sense demands a relationship between rate and risk for insurance to make sense. Nothing about the introduction of self-driving MVs changes the equation. If electing to drive the car yourself increases your risk relative to the passengers of self-driving vehicles, then why shouldn't your rate be higher? It sounds like you have a problem with insurance, period?

You're right. Insurance companies are not for profit entities. They will be completely fair and balanced and never try to screw its customer base with exorbitant rates or be stingy on legitimate payouts.

What was I thinking?!

Cheers! :)

You're right. Insurance companies are not for profit entities. They will be completely fair and balanced and never try to screw its customer base with exorbitant rates or be stingy on legitimate payouts.

What was I thinking?!

Cheers! :)

I never said never. And No one said insurance companies are in the biz to provide charity. If you want to come down on them for greedy gouging then make a case that makes sense. I'm all ears. In this case, the piece you are missing is that charging the guy driving his own car a more expensive rate than dude getting from a to b a safer way is fair and balanced.

Back