Australia's love affair with SUV's

Anyone would rather be in a bigger vehicle when a crash happens. That's not a valid point. That's not saying anything. Duh. But that's not the sole deciding factor. And bigger doesn't mean safer. A 1969 Impala is a big car. You'd die sooner in that thing than you would in an 09 Impala. People aren't racing to buy SUVs so they can out-crash someone else. That's stupid logic. I hesitate to call it any kind of logic. SUV sales have leveled off and dropped over the past 10 years as gas prices have gone up, so it's certainly no "arms race".

Anyone would rather be in a bigger vehicle when a crash happens. That's not a valid point.

That's stupid logic..
I agree. But I observe it playing out daily. It's not exactly to "out-crash" someone else, but to reduce the mass imbalance between potential participants in a collision.

One more factor is the bumper alignment. When you're sitting in traffic and notice that the yokels in the jacked up SUVs in either adjacent lane and behind you have their bumper lined up with your teeth, that has to give the econobox driver pause.

As to old Detroit steel being safer than an SUV in these imagined collisions, well- a Yaris is no '67 Impala.

Armi, some of the things I've seen people do to weigh down the arse end of a commercial vehicle are absolutely hilarious.

BTW, how are you doing?

Cheers mate,

ChrisO :cool:

Hey Chris... I'm good... still beavering on into my next project - last band I was in (The Jongleurs) is history but we got a CD done in the end, so I'm heading in a new direction, as you do. Have locked the acoustic guitars in the cupboard for the duration... :laughings:

How are you?

The running joke here is that the most likeliest vehicle to be in a ditch during a snowstorm is an SUV. The problem is that while you have more traction to move than a two wheel drive you don't have more braking power to stop you, and apparently a lot of SUV owners haven't figured that out.

The problems don't end there. You are more likely to flip over as well. You are also more likely to drive like an asshole simply because you think your ride makes you invincible which puts you at increased risk right there.

Anyone would rather be in a bigger vehicle when a crash happens. That's not a valid point. That's not saying anything.

Not a valid point? It is thee point. You made some lucid points in this thread. But, that says it all.

Dang. If the "out crash someone" theory was accurate, I was going to become a millionaire selling tanks.

Dang. If the "out crash someone" theory was accurate, I was going to become a millionaire selling tanks.

Arnold thought the same about the hummer. Fortunately, people increasingly can't afford them. It's the same reason SUV sales in general have, as Gerg rightly points out, declined.... since the economic tail spin.

Hey Chris... I'm good... still beavering on into my next project - last band I was in (The Jongleurs) is history but we got a CD done in the end, so I'm heading in a new direction, as you do. Have locked the acoustic guitars in the cupboard for the duration... :laughings:

How are you?

Shame shiot, different day. Wearing too many hats at work...........limited admin, production, R&D, blah, blah, running things by myself at the moment while the other guy is at our Ft Wayne factory in the US. Then get home and by the time I actually have time to myself I'm too bloody tired and mellowed out (I like my port) to be bothered doing much..............the musical ideas are there but the enthusiasm isn't.

Hey...you know the Qantas landing announcement..."Ladies and gentlemen, we're now landing in Brisbane. Please set your watches back 30 years".

I'm not saying that's all bad...after all, I chose (and still choose) to live here!

OKA has gone out of business. Pre owned $50-80k

IMG_4098.jpg

Im also interested in a Jeep SRT Grand Cherokee but I dont have a small penis and the service fees are astronomical.

hqdefault.jpg

I am not really in love with much of the Jeep higher end offerings the last few years. The guts are still good and i can't argue they aren't worth it in that respect. They just 'look' like granny mobiles now.

Pics brah !

That SRT Cherokee is the meanest looking thing we have on the roads at the moment.

Back