Aussie wants to see US Deep South before Kudzu engulfs it.

They're a little unclear on that point!:confused:
Yeah. They're kinda vague...
But I think it has something to do with Elvin Bishop sittin' on a bale of hay, he ain't good lookin' but he sure can play, and ZZ Top that you can't forget, and old brother Willie getting soaking wet.

Rock and roll is alive and well in the south. The problem is the rest of the world doesn't care about rock and roll anymore.

The south invented country, jazz, blues, and rock and roll. Looks like the north is stalled at easy listening.
Hahaha

---------- Update ----------

Sorry, Jimi. :o Yes, you and the gerg rock righteously. I am humbled in yer presence and suitably chastised.

Lol
Well now, that's much better!

Mississippi is the birthplace of:
Elvis (the king of rock and roll) Jimmie Rogers (the grandfather of country music), Muddy Waters (the creator of the modern electric bass, guitar, and drums combo), BB King, Albert King, Robert Johnson, Conway Twitty, Tina Turner, Johnny Winter, Charley Pride...
The list goes on and on and on and on, but I have never heard "disco" included in it.

I thought disco was created in New York at Studio 54.

In all actuality, the term "disco" was coined by Playboy magazine in 1964 as applied to a place that played music via turntables...
Discoteques were going in the 40's and 50's in France and Germany.
But the first song that fit the genre "disco" was (by most sources) attributed to Jerry "Iceman" Butler, a soul singer from Mississippi...circa 1968.
The first New York disco was actually The Loft in 1970.

As one who was strongly in the anti-disco culture of the late 70s and early 80s. I did much research at the time...What really caught my attention when reminding myself of some of the facts was the picture of the guy with the disco sucks T-shirt on wiki. I'm not 100% sure it's not me, because I had that shirt...and those are my glasses...and that guy looks just like me from 1979-80 time frame...but I don't remember posing for the picture....

What really caught my attention when reminding myself of some of the facts was the picture of the guy with the disco sucks T-shirt on wiki. I'm not 100% sure it's not me, because I had that shirt...and those are my glasses...and that guy looks just like me from 1979-80 time frame...but I don't remember posing for the picture....

Is your name Rich Carey??

220px-Rich-in-70s.jpg

My wife confirms that if this is not me, it's a doppleganger...she would have met me about 6-7 years after this picture would have been taken at the U of I in Moscow, Idaho. If it isn't me, this dude is my twin...

Is your name Rich Carey??

Should it be?...the picture just says "man" which is a stretch for my childish mentality, but who is Rich?
Names Ken by the way Brother Ken shortened to BroKen...the H stands for Harrison.

Ahhh, he's the photographer?

"Disco sucks" as a slogan would carry a lot more weight if the arena-rocking anti-disco crowd weren't burnout corduroy bell-bottom wearing wastoids that listened to shit music themselves. Is disco really any worse than Styx, Foreigner, or Bachman Turner Overdrive?

Ah, the styles of the day! :) I remember my bell bottom jeans and I once had some cords, but they were dress pants and not bell-bottoms. Never really liked the bands you listed. Queensryche, New England, ELP, Dixie Dreggs, even a little of :facepalm: Rising Force...did like Sabbath and Deep Purple on the mainstream side. But the point is, EVERYONE but the cowboys wore bell-bottoms in the 70's. There weren't a lot of choices...

Back