The Armistice / Muttley Ashes Thread..

We had a cracking series against NZ to warm up for the Ashes. I thought then that this would shape up to be good

The margins between victory and defeat so narrow though - those early scares for Root could easily have gone the other way & changed the whole complexion of the match. England looked damn vulnerable before he got settled.

Ali's contribution was really useful after an early wobble too - two big wickets in the first innings & gave some bite to the tail with the bat to build a good margin. Run chases were always going to be tough on that pitch.

We had a cracking series against NZ to warm up for the Ashes. I thought then that this would shape up to be good

The margins between victory and defeat so narrow though - those early scares for Root could easily have gone the other way & changed the whole complexion of the match. England looked damn vulnerable before he got settled.

Ali's contribution was really useful after an early wobble too - two big wickets in the first innings & gave some bite to the tail with the bat to build a good margin. Run chases were always going to be tough on that pitch.

Our problem is that the damn selectors get stuck on their "champions" and won't drop them until they're basically dead. If Shane Watson gets picked for the second test, then I give up completely. I suspect that the Ashes are most likely headed back to England and only then will a decent team cull be undertaken. Watson, Haddin, Clarke, Voges, Rogers. All have to go. Although not all at once, perhaps...

Well played England.

Poor Voges; he waits a decade, gets in & David sends him on his way!

Yeah, I know ray... but I'm talking after the Ashes, unless he shoots the lights out in the next four matches - in which case I'm willing to extend.:D

At least Mitch Johnson got some runs... that usually augurs well for his bowling. But Watson HAS TO GO. NOW!!!!

I have spoken.:thumbs up:

It was all a bit sad really - old blokes, dead and partially cremated pitch, small crowd, commentators who could keep their minds on the game because they have so many things to pitch at the audience.
Just my luck that a series is made available FTA and it's started so poorly!
Crikey, I enjoy watching test cricket though.

Our problem is that the damn selectors get stuck on their "champions" and won't drop them until they're basically dead. If Shane Watson gets picked for the second test, then I give up completely. I suspect that the Ashes are most likely headed back to England and only then will a decent team cull be undertaken. Watson, Haddin, Clarke, Voges, Rogers. All have to go. Although not all at once, perhaps...

Well played England.

Yeah, kinda like England in the last Ashes. Been loads of talk in the build up to the first test about the England team being on the rise & Aus on the decline, but nobody quite sure where they'd wind up relative to each other.

Starc now making positive noises about being back for the Lords test.

Going to be interesting to see how the dynamic shifts later this week.

And we're away again... still no sign of the Muttmeister.:(

Much more promising start from us this time... I actually forgot it was on TV as I'm reliving The Wire and was doing a bit of binge watching after attempting some vocals on a new tune, but I'll watch a bit of the post lunch session before heading to bed. Hope I'm not the kiss of death for the team..:D

If American football is just a reason for grown men to slap each other on the ass, what the bloody 'ell is cricket?

If American football is just a reason for grown men to slap each other on the ass, what the bloody 'ell is cricket?

It's something to fill the time between morning coffee and lunch, lunch and tea break and the tea break and close of play. It's also a good excuse for verbose radio commentators to chat on for hours at a time.

Indeed! I lasted about 30 mins into the middle session before heading for bed, and not too much was happening. Should have stayed up a bit longer perhaps.... :D

Gah, what a frustrating day but well played Rogers and Smith. Quick outfield and hardly any movement made it tough for bowlers.

Warner got himself out making the same mistake as a number of Aussies at Cardiff and attacking Ali, and Bell dropped one of the few decent chances but other than that, not much joy for us...

(Regarding England's Performance) No Comment :facepalm:

Had I known that was going to happen, I would have stayed up and watched it, but I thought when I woke up this morning you'd have dug in and been 200/3 and we'd have had an interesting last day... he he he... :)

Test #3 will commence shortly... this thread is not the same without muttley...

ez_willis... ez_willis.. ez_willis..

Tell him to get his arse back here...:thumbs up:

Back