The Armistice / Muttley Ashes Thread..

mutt said that steenamroo kept deleting his posts so there's no sense in posting here.

Lol. If Mutt said it it must be true.

As I recall, someone else deleted a bunch of his posts and he flew off at me because I happened to be online around that time.
I then deleted the unnecessary threads and posts that ensued and warned him.

I think he just decided he didn't want to play in this particular arena any more, Bobbsy. Fair enough.

Last Ashes series we had an intelligent and civilised discussion about cricket in a similar thread in The Cave, but without him around, there's not a lot of point to the thread.

And I'm not just saying that because the Poms handed us our arses in the third test. :laughings: If the joy of that victory doesn't bring Mutts back, nothing will... :)

Oh Armi, what happened this morning?

I had a good laugh listening to it on the radio with my old man.

Our usual inability to do anything other than "play our natural game"... and get slaughtered in the process. I was, alas, watching it and that pitch was a minefield for the first hour, so good toss to win, and correct call. They needed to just not hit anything that wasn't going to bowl them for the first hour. Even so, on that pitch, with those weather conditions, there was always going to be an early massacre.

It may come across as sour grapes but this tour has been too much about the pitches, what's been done to them to make them play as they have, and then making the correct decision at the toss. Getting that piece of luck at the start and then knowing what to do with it shouldn't be that important in serious sport. I mean, there's a green stripe down the centre of your pitch.

Each test has been over after the first day. So you'll enjoy getting the Ashes back, no doubt, but after the glee wears off perhaps there'll be a realisation that it hasn't made for interesting cricket matches and is just another nail in the coffin of the long form of the game.

This test could be over tomorrow. The previous one was 2.5 days. Not really a sustainable business model is it, considering the small ground capacity English grounds have?

If I was Australian cricket I'd be immediately reassessing our attitude to pitch preparation - there are never any conversations over here about how a pitch should be prepared - they just are what they are.

Anyway, rant over, well played and enjoy the urn.

Even my best mate in Scotland who hates cricket and England is having a laugh over this one...

The pitches are obviously playable if one team can slaughter the other team on the same pitches. It's called home advantage, but seriously - not even making a hundred in your entire innings?

The pitches are obviously playable if one team can slaughter the other team on the same pitches. It's called home advantage, but seriously - not even making a hundred in your entire innings?

The pitch changed considerably during the first session. It was an absolute minefield for the first hour given the humid overcast conditions, then it flattened out as it dried out when the sun came out, round about the time our 10/11 were trudging back to the pavilion.

We didn't play it well, obviously, and the point has been made before that the Australian team are "flat track bullies" and lack the ability to adapt to differing conditions. Demonstrably true in this instance, however I'm still of the opinion that the pitch & conditions in that first hour played too much a part in the outcome of the game. I know I'm not going to persuade a Pom of that, however... :laughings:

It sort of goes to the mindset that we're good enough to "play our natural game" no matter what the opposition does. Clearly we're not. They seemingly can't disengage the "must score quickly" gear and just leave shit alone for the first hour, so far as they could - even if they could, the deliveries that got Warner, Rogers and a few others out were absolute jaffas.

Clarke should hang his head in shame - he needs to retire. Now.

And 2 day test matches are no good for anyone in the long term.

Back