Anybody good with network setup on Vista?

notCardio

I walk the line
I've got a wireless network set up on Vista (which of course no longer has support).

I want to set up a sub-network (or additional temp network) so that I can let someone use it, but not have any potential damaging effects to my network, and also to not have to change my personal password on all my devices. Kinda like programming a temp code for your garage door opener. Something I can remove or restrict at will.

Any ideas? It can't be the p2p solution, either, as they'll be exceeding the distance restriction.

I've got a wireless network set up on Vista (which of course no longer has support).

I want to set up a sub-network (or additional temp network) so that I can let someone use it, but not have any potential damaging effects to my network, and also to not have to change my personal password on all my devices. Kinda like programming a temp code for your garage door opener. Something I can remove or restrict at will.

Any ideas? It can't be the p2p solution, either, as they'll be exceeding the distance restriction.
Many routers have a "guest network" feature. Sounds like exactly what you want. No idea whether the newer ones will work on Vista or not, but odds are probably good.

Just to clarify, are you wanting to give this guy access to your wifi from his own computer,
or do you want to let him use one of your machines with limited access?

Do you want him to have access to certain shared files/folders/drivers, or is it simply to have WAN access?

I just want to let them have internet access from their own laptop, but not have access to any of my machines or printer. I don't have a separate wireless file server (does anybody do that anymore? Man, I'm so out of touch) or standalone shared hard drive to worry about.

And yes, I'm trying to let a next door neighbor use our wifi without letting them into our machines (which I think I know how to do) and without letting anyone else on our network. I want to just be able to set a password for them, without giving them OUR password, and then being able to just delete it when I want to. I'm just trying to help someone out temporarily. I'm in a bad way, but they've got it way worse, and yes, I know them well enough to trust them, but then again, I don't want to be stupid about it.

And yes, I'm trying to let a next door neighbor use our wifi without letting them into our machines (which I think I know how to do) and without letting anyone else on our network. I want to just be able to set a password for them, without giving them OUR password, and then being able to just delete it when I want to. I'm just trying to help someone out temporarily. I'm in a bad way, but they've got it way worse, and yes, I know them well enough to trust them, but then again, I don't want to be stupid about it.

Utilizing a wireless router's guest network is the easiest way. This broadcasts a different wireless connection for them to use, with its own/different password, and ONLY provides internet access (unless you tell the Guest network to also allow 'local' access, which you don't want otherwise it defeats the purpose).

Utilizing a wireless router's guest network is the easiest way. This broadcasts a different wireless connection for them to use, with its own/different password, and ONLY provides internet access (unless you tell the Guest network to also allow 'local' access, which you don't want otherwise it defeats the purpose).

Yeah, I think I've got it covered, now.

Thanks for the help, guys! It is greatly appreciated. I was in kind of a hurry to get this going.

:thumbs up:

Back