The absolute final Black Sabbath concert....?

I got to see them twice and also "Ozzy and Friends" once. Greatest live shows I've been to. Their music is perfect for stadiums. The riffs are just huge.

Fuck me that Sharon video was unspectacular for a "final concert" announcement.

It's a marketing ploy... Have their ticket sales gotten that low? Got to see them at Ozzfest back in '99(?) and Zack Wylde played a 10 minute guitar solo while Ozzy rested his old bones offstage (or took a line of coke to get refueled, I dunno). That solo was amazing though. He sat on the edge of the stage with a beer in his right hand, sipping it leisurely, as his left hand legato'd the f##k out of the fretboard.

Every year the notion becomes more believable.
I love Sabbath, but the idea of seeing my old heroes at 70ish is a bit depressing.

Their new drummer is rather young and really wild. They give him a 15 minute drum solo in the middle of the set where they all go for a fag backstage and take their meds or something.

Huge, huge shows though.

I saw them at the capital center in Maryland. 1977 I think it was. Ted Nugent was the warm up band...he had just released "free for all".
Sabbath was great but Nugent pretty much mopped the floor with them. He was called back for 2 encores and the crowd was still chanting "we want Ted!" When Black Sabbath took the stage. Sabbath was called back for an encore...they hadn't done "iron man". After that everyone just split.

Sabbath was kind of sinking from their heyday at that point and Nugent was hungry, so to speak. He wasn't that well known yet and had something to prove. He had a wall of fender twins and those fuckers were SCREAMING!!
I've never, to this day, ever heard an opening act have that much volume and power.
I'm glad I got to witness it unfold. It's a great memory that is burned into my mind.

Last edited:
Back