The 90's Had really Great Music

DM60

I have to say, I like more 90's music that 70's. Really a nice decade for music.

My picks (subject to change at any moment)

Favorite 90s song : Unbelievable - EMF (1990)

Favorite 90s group : Weezer

Favorite 90s artist : Alanis Morissette - You Oughta Know (1995)

rfdqfWc.png

I have to say, I like more 90's music that 70's. Really a nice decade for music.

I think you have to be more specific than that.

The '90s had everything from Ricky Martin doing "Livin 'la Vida Loca"... to MC Hammer doing "U Can't Touch This"...to Radiohead doing "Creep"...etc.

I can't see that there was "90s music" as any singular flavor...unless you mean you liked ALL of that stuff from the '90s. :)

I think you have to be more specific than that.

The '90s had everything from Ricky Martin doing "Livin 'la Vida Loca"... to MC Hammer doing "U Can't Touch This"...to Radiohead doing "Creep"...etc.

I can't see that there was "90s music" as any singular flavor...unless you mean you liked ALL of that stuff from the '90s. :)

Fair, but overall there was a lot of good music at least in the rock genre.

I was talking music with a non musician that was approx. 10 yrs older and he proclaimed that there wasn't any good music since the Beatles. Which made me laugh and I asked if he realized that the generation before him claimed the Beatles ruined popular music. We are all a product of our times and our environments and to my mind there is no such thing as "bad" music. Except maybe Celine Dion. :laughings: I'm glad spantini brought up Alannis as Glen Ballard is in my opinion a great pop producer, and almost unparalleled at getting girl singers to do something special

I still listen to a lot of '90s hard rock and grunge [so I lean more heavily toward the early to middle part of the decade]. I was 15-25 during that stretch, which I've read is where you make your strongest musical memories that last much of our lifetime.

The 90s had some great rock music which seems to be overshadowed by the vast promotion of the grunge movement.

Not that I disliked any of the grunge offerings, just saying that's what the decade was known for.

But it was also a period of revival for blues based roots Rock and Roll.
Cry of Love and the Black Crows are two bands that come to mind.

That decade put a nail in the coffin of the overly processed guitar and drum sounds of the 80s. Recording wise it helped bring back organic 'real' instrument sounds.

The 80s was a time where Rock and Roll had to be 'larger than life' in every aspect from production to stage sets, lighting, costumes, and (gasp), the make up and hair! Rock and Roll was turned into something of almost cartoonish proportions. It became a drag queen.

The 90s brought it back to earth.
For this I am grateful.
:D

Last edited:
I think the 70's had good stuff. I grew up on it, have over 300 LPs from groups during that time. But I was just listening to Spotify (since I could find my music on there, thought I would support) and I was just floored about howm many songs from the 90's I was adding to my play list. That is what spawned the message.

I think for the most part, I just got burned out on 70's music. I was working and going to school at night for most of the 90's (it takes a long time when you are part time) and just really missed the decade. Going back, it is new to me but yet familiar.

Good stuff that decade.

I think the 70's had good stuff. I grew up on it, have over 300 LPs from groups during that time. But I was just listening to Spotify (since I could find my music on there, thought I would support) and I was just floored about howm many songs from the 90's I was adding to my play list. That is what spawned the message.

I think for the most part, I just got burned out on 70's music. I was working and going to school at night for most of the 90's (it takes a long time when you are part time) and just really missed the decade. Going back, it is new to me but yet familiar.

Good stuff that decade.

Fleetwood Mac, Boston, Steely Dan, Yes, Black Sabbath, Zeppelin.... the 70s were a critical era for rock music.

my son said he liked the 70's because of the real drums and the recordings had more of a real-instruments or something to it.
he dabbles in FruitLoops and all that stuff that sounds like a hiend studio mastered tune of samples, no arguing it sounds good and perfect...
but theres something to be said for actual humans playing and enjoying drumsticks versus editing a midi map.

Last edited:
Back