42low & Silent Members

Looking at the forum stats there are 164,984 members. Since the inception of the forum there are no doubt a huge number that have drifted off into different hobbies, lost interest, or died. That said, there must still be a very large number of members, many of whom from which we never hear a peep.

After the last couple days following a controversial thread, I was reminded how passionate we all can be about our own ideas and how that passion sometimes turns into hateful hurtful mud slinging. Guilty myself of poking fun in that very thread. In my opinion though, nearly every response by the regulars in that thread was reasonable and not really argumentative.

I hate to see a newer member give up and quit over a stupid ill-conceived squabble. Accidentally shooting oneself in the foot can be painful, especially to we fragile ego types. The very passion that we display in our songwriting, performance tracking, and mixing is a GOOD thing! We just need to reign that passion in when dealing with people we don't know or know very slightly on a public forum.

I went back this morning to see if 42low posted an introduction when he joined. He did and here it is:

Hello. 42low overhere.
After tens of years playing several instruments, were main always was guitar, and somewere in the past started recording analogue, about 15 years ago there was the moment of recording and producing digital with audacity sometimes.
But with some years doing hardly anything with music my kids exposed the interest and i picked it up, where i got teased to accompany them and show them possibilities of it.

It's fun! It's a great hobby, and learning more and more so it becomes greater and greater.
Making music is alway's fun to do. And with more it is more fun.

Last edited by 42low; 03-31-2017 at 04:03.

Sounds like a reasonable, nice guy looking for fellowship with like minded souls. I think maybe he got off track a little due to that passion we all have for our music. Always better to crawl before you walk, and walk before you run, but sometimes that passion drives us to unfavorably color other folk's perception leading to a bitter end.

I'm not making a plea for any one individual's return and maybe a reset, as much as I am trying to show newer members (including 42), and older members as well, that we are not assholes on this forum. Just a group of passionate individuals.

Here's hoping that a good number of the silent members show up, check in, and begin to contribute to the forum threads. Don't be shy and don't be intimidated by one or two rogue, frictional threads.

Gibberish? Maybe...just trying to make some kind of a point.

We just need to reign that passion in when dealing with people we don't know or know very slightly on a public forum

My original post had zilch to do with what you were referring to... :) Just found the referenced thread.

Hmm, if you're not used to the "culture" here, it can be off-putting. Personally, I've managed to stick around simply because there are quite a few good dudes here, and some I'm glad to call friends. Starting over from the beginning in the recent and past climate, it could be intimidating, for sure. In that thread, it was probably tough for him being the only one on his "side" of the story, even if he's not properly informed. For him, he probably felt ganged up on, and that alone is enough to push someone to saying things they'd regret or otherwise wouldn't. Doesn't matter if he was right or wrong, informed or not, being the only one in a thread on one side is tough around here... been there.

Last edited:
You do know you're talking about musicians, right?? :D Worse yet, some of them are drummers. :laughings:

I've been detached from the site lately and not really putting any energy into keeping up with the latest squabbles, so I didn't see the thread you are referencing. But I am glad to see you care enough to want to post this. The newbs do need to see a sign of humanity. lol. :)

HR has always had a rough edge to it and it has been a balancing act to keep the different and divergent personalities in some sort of harmony. Sometimes the mods get it right, sometimes they don't. Hopefully, someone new to the site can find the hidden treasures of knowledge and resources in and among the muck.

Thanks for posting, EM.

Looking at the forum stats there are 164,984 members. Since the inception of the forum there are no doubt a huge number that have drifted off into different hobbies, lost interest, or died. That said, there must still be a very large number of members, many of whom from which we never hear a peep.

After the last couple days following a controversial thread, I was reminded how passionate we all can be about our own ideas and how that passion sometimes turns into hateful hurtful mud slinging. Guilty myself of poking fun in that very thread. In my opinion though, nearly every response by the regulars in that thread was reasonable and not really argumentative.
[snip]
Gibberish? Maybe...just trying to make some kind of a point.
Thanks. Very well said.
I reread most of it from the top yesterday. In retrospect I even reconsidered my 'LOL early on -regardless as benign as it was intended.
In the light of that next day's read, at least until things got real sour, I came to pretty much the same assessment.

I wonder how many of those 164 thousand were like the OP in that referenced thread - came in one time to link his blog, never to reappear.

Not for nothing, but 42's intro post quoted above would seem to contradict all he was spouting in the bedroom studio thread...

The newbs do need to see a sign of humanity. lol. :)

I think that 'newbs' stuff is a big part of the problem.
Cause also the olds :D should remind that a newb on the forum not always is a newb within music or recording. But that is how a newb always is encountered.

Sounds like a reasonable, nice guy looking for fellowship with like minded souls.

People surrounding me in my life mostly said indeed. Some not, but that mostly has a reason (unreliable persons and so which i kick out what not makes them happy about me :o ). I'm a trustworthy person, and most are very happy with that bot not all can handle it (other interests? ;) ).
And i'm also a passionate person indeed. I'm open and honest, in nice words mostly, normally, at first. Until the way i'm spoken too isn't that nice. (like the laughing and making fool of in that particular topic)

I think maybe he got off track a little due to that passion we all have for our music. Always better to crawl before you walk, and walk before you run, but sometimes that passion drives us to unfavorably color other folk's perception leading to a bitter end.

You're right. I got caught by the situation. Excusses for that to the forum!
I hate those kind of stupid conversations, and they eventually make me mad. But i can't let it go when disrespected.
Still i say that the situation has two sides.

The other side is that i was pushed in persistence while some others persisted that i was totally wrong. And i wasn't.
Some others were (and mostly are) caught in their vision that there are no other options than those they know!
It's not only me who has to consider his passionate behavier.
Their truth is the only truth, and those of their 'friends'. (btw, recognizable forum behavier, but IMO it isn't right and i can't stand that)

But what i said was right too. For instance read my last reaction in that topic.
Even if i didn't communicate it all clear (english ain't my main language) they could have ask for the depth instead of taking their own (false) conclusions and start disrespecting by laughing and making foolish.

For your information: this was the x-th time this happened and the third time this escalated. And each time the same turn up to throw some petrol on the fire, were those again have 'followers' also going to throw petrol.
And not only with me. I see them promote 'their truth' all the time, meanwhile overruling each other oppinion or option.

It's overruling. They are overruling. And IMO interrupting interesting educational processes for all (what a forum should be about).
But if that's how it only shall be, that's how it will be and i will fit in (by not participating).

For now i'm going to observe which direction this is going. :drunk:
[MENTION=186450]einstein magoo[/MENTION] Thanks for this topic with your sincere opinion.

Last edited:
The problem is that guys like 42low can't take criticism or correction and flip their shit,
and guys like Miro can't let it go and poke and poke.

All it takes is one of each and you're fucked.

The problem is that guys like 42low can't take criticism or correction and flip their shit,
and guys like Miro can't let it go and poke and poke.

You heard it here first. What would you like done?

With all do respect, be honest Steenmaroo. It's not only miro who pokes. It's not only me who can't take criticism meanwhile keeping an open view for other options. It's not me who has 'one and only holy truth' .

Perhaps this forum should ask why there are that much silent members. And what would happen to the forum it those will get active and would not be overruled.

But now i read 42low in one sentence with the word 'problem'? (or is this my worse english?)
42low a/the problem then? If so, simply delete 42low then and the problem is solved. :thumbs up:
You know i won't have a problem with it (although I would like to regret it).

For now i'm going to observe which direction this is going. :drunk:

...and there it is.

I said "guys like" and mentioned both sides for a reason.
Being that I'm me, I'll reply once..make my point and leave it.

Others would be here all night and you'd be with them.

...and there it is.

I said "guys like"

Now way that it is there. I took the criticism in my reaction before, and i even excuse for my part. So were i can't take criticism?
Now the turn is at the part of those who were wrong too.

Perhaps it would be clearer if you didn't mention me (and miro) alone and named the real total problem.
perhaps it would be clearer if one accepted the criticism i gave at those who each time overrule with their truth.
About 'the topic' please read my last reaction there. One doesn't need to rebuild a bedroom at full to make some nice recordings. That shouldn't be overruled but confirmed as a reasonable option. So my statement there wasn't that foolish at all.

You see how quick misunderstandings rise. If with someone else i must realise and accept it, but with me all can laugh and disrespect immidiatly?

Do i get some understanding for what i'm trying to clear up, or am i indeed the problem IYO? Please answer this!
For now i'm realy going to observe for real which direction this is going.

BTW, in real short words what i have a problem with.

I realize very good that some of those who i'm speaking have (and earned) respect here.
But that CAN NOT be a reason to disrespect what the forum calles 'newbs'.

My part:
For that i can't respect them either. One has to give respect to get it. At first i always give respect, until...
Laughing and making a good other oppinion look foolish ain't giving respect.

BTW, in real short words what i have a problem with.

I realize very good that some of those who i'm speaking have (and earned) respect here.
But that CAN NOT be a reason to disrespect what the forum calles 'newbs'.

My part:
For that i can't respect them either. One has to give respect to get it. At first i always give respect, until...
Laughing and making a good other oppinion look foolish ain't giving respect.

I don't think respect is important.

I think civility is important.

You don't need to respect someone to be civil. There are members in this forum (particularly in the past) for whom I've had no respect at all. But that has never stopped me from being polite and civil towards them. It's not hard to do.

I think it's important to conduct yourself in the way that you would expect others to (presumably with dignity and civility). If you do this, then you have the moral advantage if others fail. You have a right to complain. But you can't do this if you behave in the same way.

I don't think respect is important.

I think civility is important.

Would create a strange situation IMHO.

So if one is civil in it's words he can be the biggest ass he wants?
If one is less civil in it's words but from a good hart he is wrong?

I know this is many times how it goes within society but i can not commit with that.
Also that one who gives me a attacking reaction, i can't respect that no matter how civil words, and will get my defensive reaction.
That open honesty can be respected or not. (i would respect that more than 'civilized backstabbers')

There are members in this forum (particularly in the past) for whom I've had no respect at all. But that has never stopped me from being polite and civil towards them. It's not hard to do.

So those who don't respect me or my oppinion can show this by laughing and making a fool out of me as long as they use civil words?

One attention Gecko.
You've talked normal with me. Even criticized me, but in honest words. Did i ever talked uncivil to you??
And that goes for many others too. Only not for the fools who 'said nice civil words' to me i can't accept.
I say what i have to say, do that open and honest, containing the tone how much i like it (or not), to anyone no matter who, and i will never gonna do that in a hidden and sneaky way.

But it's all becoming clear to me. I will be quiet and this time forever. Let the civilized suckers rule.
Perhaps even better if 42low does get deleted. Problem totally solved for the forum too then.

Last edited:
With all do respect,....

That's "due", with all due respect, newb (to english). Tow the line man, tow the line. :D

Don't take it too seriously, man. If you're a musician, and I am assuming you are, you've probably hung out with enough other musicians to recognize that musicians are an opinionated, snide, and at times assholish lot. Maybe it comes from the isolation with only their own voice dominating the atmospherics while, like, totally mastering their instrument of choice. Totally.

Relacks.

Okay, I just read the thread. Well, I read some of it. Maybe there is some kind of language barrier, I don't know.

I think a good piece of advice from that thread is, if it works for you, whatever "it" might be, then go for it.

Scratching the surface and going a bit or more deeper, a lot of these guys know what they are talking about. They really do. They are not disagreeing with you to diminish your opinion or to make you look ridiculous. They are stating an opinion based on the fact that they know what they are talking about. That is in part what this forum is about and why some people come here, to get advice from others who know what they are talking about. Though one size does not necessarily fit all, bad or questionable advice will be called into question, that is just the way it is, and should be.

However, in the end, most of us must work around limitations or in less than ideal conditions. In working within less than ideal conditions, by necessity, sometimes it boils down to whatever works for you. And, that's okay, though not ideal.

Again, relax, friend.

However, in the end, most of us must work around limitations or in less than ideal conditions. In working within less than ideal conditions, by necessity, sometimes it boils down to whatever works for you. And, that's okay, though not ideal.
Yes. And it is so true. And.. it was said', acknowledged, agreed with', at least a few times in the thread.

Back