Zoom H4N and recording live band.

davidnyc64

Hi, I want to use my Zoom H4N for recording a Jazz band performing live. I'd like t know what would be the best Bit/sampling rate? and, how far away to set up and what recording level would be safe?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
David

Your first few attempts will be pretty poor - don't worry.

We can't help with positioning, as you've not said what the band consists of. Are we talking an all acoustic band, or electronic instruments and worse still a PA?

If it's a hybrid with some things amplified other things natural, then your only hope is to find a place where the balance is perfect - and if something is too loud or quite, move it in or out. Getting an amplified vocal to site nicely is hell! A pair of closed back headphones will let you move the zoom around to find this magical position! If your editor can handle higher sample rates and bit depths - just choose the highest setting that the zoom and the editor can handle. You can reduce resolution in the editor, you can't add back in what wasn't recorded!

Recording level isn't an issue - the red lights flash at you when it gets loud - so simply get the band to give you their loudest bit of the set - and set something that doesn't hit the tops of the meters. The display on zooms tends to fall off quite quickly - so quiet bits often look too quiet, but if you make sure you don't peak at the top end, you will be fine. I'd try NOT to use the limiter if you can. This takes experimentation - so just have a go.

Set your Zoom to 24bit. Probably 44.1kHz sample rate is going to be fine but my preference is 48kHz. It's really not that critical.

Is there a PA? If so then try to get a feed from the board into one (mono PA) or two tracks (stereo PA) and pick up the room sound with the internal mics. Place the Zoom exactly between the left and right speakers. Alternatively place it well off to one side picking up only left or only right (only works if the PA is run mono). I don't know what connection the board will have, but RCA is likely so a pair of long RCA-1/4" cables would be good to have along.

No PA? Place the Zoom relatively close to stage where it sounds good and you get more band and less room reverberation.

Set levels conservatively. The main goal is to avoid clipping.

Back