Vocal + Guitar Multi Effects = High Frequency Compressed

mactreouser

Hi,
Recently, I'm facing a weird issue. When I was singing with my Acoustic Guitar (with Multi Effects Pedal) , high frequency was compressed!

When playing guitar alone, sounds great!

I've double check only every single paths, there were no even a compressor or limiter applied!

What's wrong? How could this be? Help...

Post samples and describe you signal chain including OS, system specs, software you are using, etc.

There is no way to guess what the problem could be without basic info of what you are working with. 'Multi Effects Pedal'??? That would be a good start in giving a clue as to what that is.

:)

Hi,
It was in Live and I'm sorry that have no devices for recording.

Btw, some say it's all about "Signal Buffer / True Bypass" ?

Right. What multi-effects processor?
Was only the guitar plugged into the multi-effects processor?
Was one off the effects you are using compression?

We need way more specific info about your setup. Not only specifically what you are using, but how you had it hooked up.

Appreciate again!
I was hooked up my old Zoom G2.1u to applies the Chorus - Delay - Reverbs (without compression), as well we EQ and Patching for Rhythm, Plucking and Solo (with different output volume)

So, when Solo or Plucking was playing, there was no such Lost High Tone or High Frequency Compressed like. But when Strumming, it does!

I remember that Zoom G7.1ut doesn't have such issue when I was playing with that chain of effects too last time.

What do you think?

What about the PA system?

We need to know EVERYTHING that the signal is going through. What speakers, mixer, di box, how the effects unit was hooked up (guitar plugged into it, or an aux send on the mixer), was the compression on the vocal.as well, etc...

Lay out the entire setup from the source (guitar and mic) to the speaker.

My setup was simple for small scale performance :

* Vocal & Guitar
* Traditional 8 XLR inputs Mixer (Yamaha) without built in amp
* L & R Master Signal Output to 12 inch Powered Loud Speaker (without limiter / compression / any processors)
* Vocal/Mic input, clean and direct to the XLR channel
* Guitar -- Takamine volume line out (75/100) to Zoom G2.1u Multi Effects Pedal, then output to Rolls DI Box Passive from G2.1u. DI Box to Mixer XLR Input and without any Compression /Limiter /Dynsmic Processors from Mixer and G2.1u.
* Zoom G2.1u only applied Chorus /Delay and Reverb

Hope this clear and so much appreciate!!

Btw, I just did a test just now. When I lower down the output signal volume from Guitar (15/100) , issue seems to be resolved?! No more High Frequency Compressed or Lost High Tone.

Strange! And what do you say?

It could be as simple as the battery in the guitar is going dead. They do last a long time, but the guitar will start to sound and act strange as the battery gets weaker and weaker.

Oh my God, that simple?
Is this means new battery replaced then everything will be alright? And the High Tone will be back then? No more "Signal Buffer" issue?

It's a cheap and simple thing to try.

Basically, the electronics in the guitar can only output the power the battery provides. When the battery gets weaker, it might sound fine on quiet things, but the harder you strum, the more power required from the battery.

Once you exceed the amount of power the battery can provide, you get compression, distortion ,etc... before the battery is completely dead.

Wow... Now I learned something! Haha. So, I shall replace the battery!

In fact, what do you think about "Signal Buffer" thingy? Is that happens on those smaller or cheap multi effects pedal?

Anything that doesn't have true bypass is a signal buffer. That's just a fancy word for 'active electronics'. If the design of the unit is crap, it will change the sound, but it shouldn't.

The electronics in the guitar act as a buffer. when the battery is good, it works fine. When the battery is dying, it changes the signal.

Back